Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-22-2001, 02:25 PM

Default Digi 001 and Propellerhead Reason?

I'm getting a digi001 system soon and would like to know if anyone uses the digi001 and Propellerhead's Reason together? Is it a pain in the arse to set up??? I will be new to both programs... so any info would be greatly appreciated! Propellerheads website has no info...

thankx in advance...
Old 09-22-2001, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Digi 001 and Propellerhead Reason?

"pain in the arse?"
Well, for some people, no...
For others - like me - sort of...

Mike Blanchard (IOP Drummer) had given me his directions to sync the two, and I followed every step in accordance.
I even got as far as having both apps open at the same time [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] (which I had never succeeded in doing!), and seemed like the pivotal point in this operation. At that moment, I thought to myself "My God, this looks like it's gonna work!".
Thankfully, I didn't hold my breath for I'd be a strange shade of blue by now.

After enabling Midi Beat Clock in ProTools and Reason to sync (it can only be the slave), having double-checked my midi port configurations, it all seemed hunky-dory.
I hit PLAY in PT, nothing happens in Reason, where I was anticipating my Reason timeline to start moving forward. It actually collapses the Reason window, and when I try to re-maximise it, PT stops playing.

To recap..
-PT and Reason both open (Reason open first)
-Sync enabled, MBC enabled in PT
-Only PT OR Reason will play it's stuff, as either PLAY button disables the other.

Any (more) help would be so great right about now. Mike B. has been great, it just seems I may have overlooked something, and could use a little light.

thanks

pk
Old 09-23-2001, 09:15 AM

I managed to sunc 'em using hubris loopback device. Download at: http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs...pBack_device/.

I'm at home now so I don't have all the set up details. Basically the hubi creates midi ports (internally) (LB1-LB4) . PT is master and on my set-up you see them syncing but you have to activate the reason window(click on it) to hear reason audio. The second you click on the PT window again it will mute the reson audio once again.(what a drag!). I'm using a seperate sound card for reason (M-audio audiophile 24/96). I also had to reset output latency in reason to avoid popping... Basically for now I'm going to keep exporting stuff from reason to PT. But, If for example you want to record a track (i.e. subtractor synth) it's very possible, and at least once it's done you can close Reason and continue in PT. So basically, syncing also is possible but for me too many headaches.... Write back if you want the full set-up (I'll be back at the studio in a day or two... good luck!
Old 09-23-2001, 03:58 PM

Hey PK, did you read midlpbk.txt in the unzipped folder??? it gives you instructions on "installing" the new "harware". If you have done this and rebooted I don't know what the problem is... let me know

Thumps
Old 09-24-2001, 12:29 AM

Thanks Thumpa,

actually, a full setup description would be great (if it's not too much hassle)!
Here's what's weird with my deal, I did install Hubi's, however it never shows up in any MIDI settings boxes on either program.
I also have the M-Audio 2496 (awsome card) and last night, noticed there are 4 MIDI 'BUS' ports form the Adavanced Midi page in Preferences. I assumed this would serve the same purpose as Hubi's MLD, no?
If I do activate Hubi's, it only appears at the bottom of my screen, where I have to right-click on it to see what's routed to where. So I selected, MIDI INs and OUTs to the Delta, but again (this is where I get confused), The actual HUBI port doesn't appear as an actual port in either program, is that normal?
Somehow I feel that it can work, as Mike B. did it, just a little more grunt work and we'll all get there.
Again, thanks for your reply and all the ones to come form those dealing with this issue, which could mean the 'ideal studio' - if succesfull... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

pk