Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2012, 05:05 AM

Default More than 10 (A-J) Send "Slots" Possible in PT 8.1 ?

Hi
couldn't find a thread about this so I just ask:
Is there a way how I can open more than 10 (I call it) "send slots" in the PT 8.1 Mixer (on a HD 2 system) ?
There is "A-E" and "F-J" ...but is this the maximum ?

I can assign heaps of busses to these, sure, but what if I need more than 10 sends at once (or during my 20 minute, fully automated session)
I am trying to configure a Multi-channel aux-submix for a 30-speaker surround system. To be able to pan (and to automate these pans) I thought I'd just use 30 sends routed to 30 mono Aux tracks - which will later output to the 30 mono active speakers.

All workarounds I could think of so far would make the pan-automation very complicated and confusing, like using stereo busses and hard-panning inside them to have a total of 2 x 10 sends (still not enough), or using multiple tracks with the same audio content and different busses on their A-F anf J-K send slots etc...).

Any ideas how to add more sends (not only busses) with individually automatetable faders ?

Thanks...

Hard: ProTools HD 3, PCI-e core & accel, 96 I/O, 192 digital I/O, HD MADI / Sync I/O (not sync HD)
Quad-Core Mac, Intel
Old 02-15-2012, 05:40 AM

Default Re: More than 10 (A-J) Send "Slots" Possible in PT 8.1 ?

10 is it.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:01 AM

Interesting problem. Would this work? If you use your session a 7.1 session, that will give you pan controls to your 7 "main" speakers. Then use the sends in stereo mode, you'll get 20 more. You could pick up the last 3 on dup tracks perhaps.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:28 AM

du kannst routing-technisch den ausgang eines audio-tracks auf einen bus routen... (output bei gedrückter "control" taste selektieren u. bus wählen).

somit könntest du dein signal erstmal auf einen auxtrack routen bzw. spiegeln. dort hättest du dann wieder 10 sends zur verfügung.. allerdings müsstest du diesen wahrscheinlich muten. daher wären dann die sends nur prefader verwendbar... den ausgang des ersten aux track kannst du dann wieder ausgangsseitig auf einen 2. auxtrack routen u. das spielchen wiederholen..
Send-Volume u. pan automationen wären so wohl auch möglich...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeFromBerlin View Post
Hi
couldn't find a thread about this so I just ask:
Is there a way how I can open more than 10 (I call it) "send slots" in the PT 8.1 Mixer (on a HD 2 system) ?
There is "A-E" and "F-J" ...but is this the maximum ?

I can assign heaps of busses to these, sure, but what if I need more than 10 sends at once (or during my 20 minute, fully automated session)
I am trying to configure a Multi-channel aux-submix for a 30-speaker surround system. To be able to pan (and to automate these pans) I thought I'd just use 30 sends routed to 30 mono Aux tracks - which will later output to the 30 mono active speakers.

All workarounds I could think of so far would make the pan-automation very complicated and confusing, like using stereo busses and hard-panning inside them to have a total of 2 x 10 sends (still not enough), or using multiple tracks with the same audio content and different busses on their A-F anf J-K send slots etc...).

Any ideas how to add more sends (not only busses) with individually automatetable faders ?

Thanks...
Old 02-15-2012, 08:15 AM

genau, den aux input routest du dann auf einen nicht verwendeten bus, dann hörst du das signal nicht doppelt..
Old 02-15-2012, 09:26 AM

Thanks everyone ! Your ideas helped me a lot develop sort of a concept

Here's my solution so far (so I don't only ask questions here all the time in this forum )

To keep the automations not too confusing I guess I will build kind of a Aux -> Sub Aux -> Output architecture...

Meaning e.g. bus one routes to Aux 1. Aux 1 is "in charge" of sub-routing via additional busses to Audio Outputs e.g. 1-6, which are more or less "front left", with the highest volume sent to the middle speakers (e.g. Nr. 3 & 4). This way I have sort of a 5.1 surround, whereas each surround channel will be 6-7 "real" channels. AND: I can also access each speaker directly via their "own" bus when needed.

Certain effects will receive their "own" audio track which routes ONLY to one Output (or 2 or 3... up to max. 10) via the busses directly (not through the aux sub-routing channels.

If I would sub-route single ones like suggested (= to access chan 27 - I need to bus to 9 and then from there again bus to 27) the automations in the edit window might end up a nightmare to overview (because they would be on different channels but still influencing one another

So with the setup now, every audiochannel has only it's 10 automation lanes and I can decide whether to send signals to my "groups" (like Front right via the sub-group aux front right = channels 1-6 out etc.) or to single speakers directly.
Of course my maximum sends per chan is 10, meaning I have 5+1 +4 more for individual use.. More would have been great but this should work OK, special fx will need their own audiochan's

Won't win me a nobel prize but seems to work OK, still beta-testing

Thanks also for assuring me reg. the max of 10 sends ... so I'm not working in vain while there is a tiny switch to free 20 more send slots I never came across

Hard: ProTools HD 3, PCI-e core & accel, 96 I/O, 192 digital I/O, HD MADI / Sync I/O (not sync HD)
Quad-Core Mac, Intel
Old 02-15-2012, 09:27 AM

kann not understehen what you are saging

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIA...Rnu0Jfh-YsgftQ
Old 02-15-2012, 10:53 AM

I'm lost on why you would ever need all 10 send slots, never mind MORE, but you could duplicate the track, set the dupe for no output and get 10 more sends. Or you could use 1 send slot to feed an AUX track and get 10 slots there

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-17-2012, 03:11 AM

Hi Albee

duplicating tracks was not the best option because it's 90 tracks already, and I'd have to duplicate at least half of them... too many voices... its only a HD2...
plus confusing automations then (on different tracks)...

Feeding an AUX from 1 send, and having add'l 10 sends makes automation very confusing too...but basicly my setup now is similar / following the same basic idea...just split up differently... was what I was trying to say ... but I can understand its pretty hard to understehe what I am sagen manchmal very much

Anyways, it works great up to now, but the session's complexity is growing, lets see if I am understehing it myself immer noch in a few days

Quad-Core Mac, Intel