Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-16-2006, 11:25 PM

Default Re: The Allenstein Quadzilla Machine

Actually it would be easier to get my hands on an LE interface, and if my rig drops to 140 D-Verbs, case closed. I'll look into it.

Well apparently there's now demo PT M-P software so you can bench those quads, but if it doesn't boost your D-Verb count, it's not proof.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:38 PM

I was thinking of that but you'll need LE software.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 04-17-2006, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Don't know whether it's good or bad news, but I just did 220 D-Verbs with cores 3&4 disabled:

Screenshot

Hmmm...so if we use the Maudio hardware, put the 270 on a single CPU board, then it will still smoke my quad. And be pretty close to an HD 6 rig as far as plug-in power goes. Now isnt that a swift kick in the privates.

I think we should start rethinking this one.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 04-17-2006, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Don't know whether it's good or bad news, but I just did 220 D-Verbs with cores 3&4 disabled:

Screenshot

Hmmm...so if we use the Maudio hardware, put the 270 on a single CPU board, then it will still smoke my quad. And be pretty close to an HD 6 rig as far as plug-in power goes. Now isnt that a swift kick in the privates.

I think we should start rethinking this one.

Shane
Hi All,

Actually that's EXACTLY the reason (M-Audio) that 3J's system is so dominant! M-Audio has been a PC (Windows) company for many years and more importantly, has been writing PC Drivers for many years. There is almost no single thing that is more important to a PC's performance and stability as the Drivers for the hardware. Just look at all the PC users who have tried to run MOTU hardware with their Nuendo/Sonar/Samplitude systems and all the headaches they've gone through just to get a working system.

As another example, there was a recent benchmark run on the Nuendo forum where varius users ran a test project very similar to the DaveC tests you guys have been running here. Some of the power users had access to two of the most recommended soundcards for Nuendo; RME and Lynx Studio. RME has been the number 1 recommended system with Lynx Studio being a close second. At least until this test.

Anyway in this test, users with both cards ran the same test on the same computer with the only difference being which card and driver was installed. Guess what? The Lynx card dominated the test! It performed SIGNIFICANTLY better than the RME card and that was the only difference in the test. The Lynx setup would run the test with more plugs, and at a lower buffer setting (128 vs. 256) than the RME.

In closing, I'm not trying to say that Digidesign writes bad PC drivers, just that M-Audio writes GREAT PC drivers and that does have a HUGE impact on performance. Hell an Audiophile 192 costs less than $200 and the Firewire 1814 is less than $500. M-Powered Pro Tools is basically indentical and you get an incredible interface, with Word Clock, SPDIF, ADAT, great converters, and most importantly, GREAT DRIVERS! You guys should definitely check it out.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:41 AM

Quote:
...You guys should definitely check it out.
I can assure you we will. We have concluded that it was the Maudio hardware and drivers after we got the first two quads built months ago.

But the real kicker is that it sure makes ya scratch your head when you compare it with HD. 1 Accel card equals approx 50 Dverbs. Native has done more than "caught up" with DSP cards, it's surpassed it.

As far as plug-in power goes, the lowest end Digidesign native systems themselves (Maudio) slaughter their very own flagship HD systems.

What a kick in the privates that one is.

Shane

Old 04-17-2006, 07:47 AM

Man... I got exited for a sec or two, and then realized that my reading skills in the morning are in spanglish.. its not a Quezadilla.. what you guys are talking about..!
Old 04-17-2006, 10:34 AM
Space Cabin Audio

Wow, Things are really heating up around here. I leave for work for 2 weeks and suddenly people are building these things like mad men. This is awesome, and I am sure DIGI is even scratching their heads right now. The quad machine is a huge step forward in the Native DAW market. How much was that HD3 Rig again? If only LE didn't use floating point. Oh well, you can't win them all.

Kris
May the music move you
Old 04-17-2006, 10:44 AM

Here's another issue to keep an eye on:

2 soundcards with PT m-powered

Apparently there's been success running PT M-P with two Delta 1010LT's. Wonder how it would work with 3 Firewire 1814's

I'm definitely hanging onto my versions of PT M-P and the M-Audio drivers as they become updated, chances are Digi will fix the loophole. Who would buy an HD system when you could have 24x12 analog i/o with 24/192 converters on a quadzilla pushing 400+ D-Verbs for thousands less?
Old 04-17-2006, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Apparently there's been success running PT M-P with two Delta 1010LT's. Wonder how it would work with 3 Firewire 1814's
I don't know about the delta cards, because I don't have one (or two), but I can tell you for sure that multiple firewire interfaces, and mix and match firewire USB interfaces does not work with PTMP; I tried.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 04-17-2006, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I was thinking of that but you'll need LE software.
I can't see Digi kicking up a stink if I "borrowed" it for the purposes of the test. The closest friend I've got with hardware that PT LE 7 supports is 2 hours away though.