Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 09-27-2010, 03:27 PM

Default Problem with PT install

Hi

Apologize if my problem has already been covered off.

I went to install Pro Tools and after putting the disc into my CD reader nothing comes up. My CD/DVD drive shows empty.

I'm running an older P4 1.67 GHZ which I just upgraded to 1 GB ram. I tried a different disc and the drive seems to be functioning properly. Am I missing something here or.......is my hardware outdated??....Thanks in advance.

Jim
Old 09-27-2010, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Problem with PT install

well that is pretty old. Is the drive just a CD drive or is it a CD/DVD drive.

Can you test the disc on another PC.

You could register your Pro Tools on Avid.com and in a few hours you should get a link in your Avid account to download Pro Tools.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 09-27-2010, 04:35 PM

Yeah. Just went to see my computer tech about something else and mentioned this to him and he gave me a dvd rom reader. Just installed it, lo and behold I'm ready to install PT. Sorry for wasting everyones time. Mod's, delete this thread if you like or keep it as a warning to others and a document to my stupidity
Old 09-27-2010, 06:23 PM

Just did a search on an install problem. Install hangs up, and has been hung-up for an hour, second attempt, at "installing Digidesign Hardware Drivers". I'm getting a little frustrated and having read a couple of threads related to this problem my frustration deepens.
Along with the above specs I am running Windows XP. I had to power off the first time I tried to shut the install down and will probably do the same this time.
Any body have any ideas?? From what I've read it seems that PT's is a fussy install. Am I wrong in thinking this??Thx.

Jim
Old 09-27-2010, 06:42 PM

I agree with Benoni's comment that this system looks very old. Even if you do get Pro Tools installed, it probly won't run very well. I would strongly suggest going thru the compatibility info on the Avid site. heres the link

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=353241

I would suggest an Intel Duo Core Cpu 2.0Ghz or greater, 2 gigs of ram, 2 Hard Drives (1 for OS, 1 for recording to), separate graphics card, Not onboard video, Windows XP with service pack 3. The major bottle necks are the CPU and Ram, so the faster the CPU and the more ram the better. This would be a minimum for Pro Tools to run effectively.
120GB OCZ Agility 3, 2 TB WD Green

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Pro Tools 8.0.5

M-Audio Keyrig 49
Eleven Rack w/ERXP
FCB1010 | Mackie SRM450v2 | Taylor 314ce | Ibanez RG321MH | ESP Horizon NT-II DSBS
Old 09-27-2010, 07:55 PM

I am in the market for a new computer but I wanted it to replace a laptop that has been our main home computer (newer than the p4 but keeps on shutting down. HD is on last legs). I guess I'll be spec'ing out my next one to the specs you listed below muziqman and use the p4 for general home use.

I guess I feel a little deceived by Avid as the compatibility requirements in the manuals were very general and gave me false hope that my p4 would handle it.

It finally did install but took over 2 hrs. Loading takes a bit of time and now it can't find my 11r interface. Methinks it's because of my ancient USB 1 or just my ancient platform. Nonetheless, I'll be getting a new desktop. Thanks guys.

Jim
Old 09-27-2010, 08:35 PM

The specs I posted previously are the minimum to get PT running. Here are the specs I sent a friend who also needed a new pc to run PT. This is not a powerhouse machine, but a system that would run PT fairly well.

Intel i5 760
Gigabyte P55M-UD2 mATX LGA1156
G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL Ripjaws PC3-12800 4GB
2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB
Gigabyte Radeon HD 5550
Antec Sonata III Black ATX, 500w PS
Windows 7 home premium 64 bit
Samsung SH-S223C 22X DVD Writer SATA Black

This system will run you around $900 CAD, depending which items you can find on sale.
120GB OCZ Agility 3, 2 TB WD Green

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Pro Tools 8.0.5

M-Audio Keyrig 49
Eleven Rack w/ERXP
FCB1010 | Mackie SRM450v2 | Taylor 314ce | Ibanez RG321MH | ESP Horizon NT-II DSBS
Old 09-28-2010, 04:28 PM
Avid

Avid doesn't test Pentium4 processors anymore, so it's definitely not guaranteed to work with newer PT versions...I feel your pain, but it's probably time to upgrade your machine (I recently had to get rid of my beloved G5 PowerPC...sad, but I'm better off).
P&S Creative Professional
AVID
Old 09-28-2010, 05:06 PM

I've taken muziqman's spec's to my computer tech and he's going to price them out. I was originally going to to go with an off the shelf computer from one of the big box retailers but decided to get this right the first time. As you state Chimp, I'll be better off for it. It took a while, and this site, to realize how antiquated my P4 really is. I just want to start recording my musical ideas and take advantage of the other half of a wonderful overall package that is the 11r. Thx

Jim
Old 09-28-2010, 09:55 PM

Me again...just thought I'd mention that that I unistalled PT from my P4 account the problems above. Decided to try a reinstall since it'll be a while before I get my new computer system.

I'd forgotten that I had installed a high speed USB hub on the P4. Of course originally I hooked up the 11r into the USB 1 port which I believe was the part of the problem originally. But when I switched to high speed connection, voila!! PT installed successfully! Still a little slow on start up but manageable. Had time to watch about half the training video and I've got to say I'M STOKED.

Time willing I'm going try a recording and hopefully get it up here. All this to say that a P4 might do in a pinch....thx

Jim