Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room

Old 05-04-2010, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Overhead mics?

I've been in and out of studios for years but kinda new to recording myself and our band......with that said I use to record vocals,acoustic,and some cabs(old twin reverb) with a rode NT1a thru an ART MPV pre. I now use a Neuman TLM49 thru A UA710. It really sounds better but I'm not sure if it's $2000 better! Point being try them out first and don't listen to the mfg.'s advertisement cuz' it's b.s........sometimes. I use my Rode as overheads now and like it for cymbal brightness and at the same time it gives my mic'd toms some body, you know a fuller/hollow sound.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyknocker View Post
I've been in and out of studios for years but kinda new to recording myself and our band......with that said I use to record vocals,acoustic,and some cabs(old twin reverb) with a rode NT1a thru an ART MPV pre. I now use a Neuman TLM49 thru A UA710. It really sounds better but I'm not sure if it's $2000 better! Point being try them out first and don't listen to the mfg.'s advertisement cuz' it's b.s........sometimes. I use my Rode as overheads now and like it for cymbal brightness and at the same time it gives my mic'd toms some body, you know a fuller/hollow sound.
Yeah I hear what you're saying with the fuller sound from overheads. When I use the NT5's I get a nice cymbal shiimmer, but it really lacks the bottom end I need to make the toms to show some character.

I'm leaning towards the ribbon mics as when I've used ribbons before they give a much more natural sound to me. I hate the "digital" sound of ultra crisp cymbals, and to me after adding all guitars and everything in the mid frequencies seem to become distorted or "messy".

When I've recorded a gutiar cab with a ribbon previously the mid frequency sounded a lot truer to the source. I've heard many people say the same occurs with drums too.....

But you're right...reviews generally aren't that great anymore. And most people in forums think whatever mic they've got is the best....which is what I sometimes do to. Its only natural.

thanks for all the advice guys.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:46 PM

My current favorite for overheads is a matched pair of Royer 121's through a Great River MP2NV.

My only advice for OH placement is to try and space them so that each mic gets half of the kit and that they are placed so that you don't get "phasey" cymbols (usually best to place the mics above the cymbol bells if you can).

Hope this helps,
Greg
Intel i7 3930K, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 (rev 1.0), 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidea GT 720 TI video card, a Samsung 850 Pro (256 GB) OS drive, 2 Samsung 850 Pro's (512 GB) in externally mounted drive bays for session and sample storage, Win 10 Pro, PT Ultimate (Native)2019.10, HD Omni, HD I/O 16x16 .
Old 05-06-2010, 10:30 PM

I like a spaced pair of Shure SM81's, good ol standard I have normally used for many years. Always a natural sounding pair for overheads with little or no eq needed
They have 2 low end roll off selections on the mic (or select flat), and the mic has an option to attenuate -10 db if needed for the real hammerhead bangers.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
My current favorite for overheads is a matched pair of Royer 121's through a Great River MP2NV.

My only advice for OH placement is to try and space them so that each mic gets half of the kit and that they are placed so that you don't get "phasey" cymbols (usually best to place the mics above the cymbol bells if you can).

Hope this helps,
Greg
If I could afford a pair of royer 121's I most certainly would pick them up.

Damn you....and your fancy pants awesome mics!! :P

Or Damn me and my ability to save!!! :)
Old 05-07-2010, 03:43 AM

Being I do a lot of live tracking, my microphones vary depending on what else is going on and where I am. For example my preferred overhead mic for drums out live is the Royer SF24. Conventional wisdom says this won't work---but in reality for a drum overhead on-stage, it can work great! There are times where I can't use that so then I'll move to AKG C451B's. In my personal studio I use the Earthworks TC30K's for drum overheads.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:42 AM

I had the earthworks but sold them; they're great but for the music I do they were a bit too much because its a must that I mic each drum but with the TC's those grabbed everything a little bit more than I needed & a guy wanted som reallly bad who only uses overheads mostly so I sold 'em for what I paid for them

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 05-13-2010, 08:43 PM

So I ended up purchasing a matched pair of Shinybox MXL ribbon mics. Just waiting for them to show up now, hopefully next week. I'll let you know how it goes.

I just couldn't afford the 2 x royer 121's that I really wanted. Doh!!
Old 06-15-2010, 07:30 PM

So ... is the Earthworks kit over-hyped in addition to being over-priced?

PT10 HD Native (10.2.0), 96 I/Os, C24, Mac Pro (10.6.8 / 16GB)
Old 06-15-2010, 11:49 PM

I can't comment on the Earthworks mics as i've never used them.

I've now gone from using NT5's as overheads to using 2 shinybox MXL ribbon mics and I can honestly say my sound has definately improved. I seem to be able to produce a much nicer snare, tom and kick sound now as the ribbons must be picking up more of the kit than the NT5s.

I tried the Shinybox MXL on a guitar cab as well and was totally stoked with the sound. Definately a lot smoother than my trusty old 57. I'm shure (*shakes head in disgust) my trusty old 57 will still have its place, and I'm sure I'll even mix the two together on occasion. One thing I do know is I'll never track with a 57 for clean guitar again.