How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 09-28-2010, 09:39 PM

Default Re: Matching Guitar Sounds - Att: Benoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
we need a PEQ with at least 5 bands, i would prefer more though. With a PEQ you can control the Q of each band, unlike a normal EQ.

Think of the current EQ in 11R as all faders being connected by a string that runs horizontally through the middle of each fader. When you raise say 2kHz, you have no control over the frequencies (bandWIDTH/Q) around 2k that are also being raised. With a PEQ you can control the angle of the string. Also with a PEQ you would not be locked to 2kHz. You could choose 1.5kHz and dip it, then choose 750hz and raise it. You are not locked into certain settings. So say they include a 7 band PEG, then you can choose the 7 feqs YOU want, and control the bandwidth of each freq.
Yep, I fully get it now, thanks greatly for the extra explanation . I didn't realize you could have more than one band on the PEQ.

I don't know what I can do to get Avid to listen how important this is - I've already voted for it on IdeaScale - man, I feel impotent . And any topic on the forum would get locked immediately - been there, seen that.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:55 AM

Benoni and others...am I completely missing the boat here?
My recording experience has been to take a great amp, put a mic in front of it - in the sweet spot - and record the sound of the amp. If done correctly, the last thing I want to do is put an EQ - of any kind - on this track.
This is how I would think/like the 11R to function, as well.
Too much to ask for?
Old 09-29-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianiac5150 View Post
My recording experience has been to take a great amp, put a mic in front of it - in the sweet spot - and record the sound of the amp. If done correctly, the last thing I want to do is put an EQ - of any kind - on this track.
Too much to ask for?
Yeah, I understand what you are saying, and for your own tracks that might be fine. Not all of us are Def Leppard. But this thread was started up by someone who was looking to cop someone's else tone. And we have been discussing just that and how we might go about it. PEQ coming out as being the preferred option, which we don't got unfortunately.There was one person on the forum who is/was a huge fan of Angus Young and was willing to pay money if someone could replicate his tone with the 11R, can't remember of anyone collected the money offerred.

And I am a little surprised to say you don't use any EQ at all . Are you saying that you never adjust the Treble, Mids and bass on the amp controls when recording? To me adjusting those controls is like the primary port of call for EQ - isn't it. But then again, I could be wrong, it's been known to occur from time-to-time .
Old 09-29-2010, 10:38 AM

Location: Current: Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Hails from: San Francisco

Quote:
Too much to ask for?
It awesome when the recorded take requires no eq, but in my experience, it's rare. Even if it's just a little, i usually add an eq to get it to sit just right in the track. It really sucks when guitar is all over the place getting in the way of everything else.

Now that i reamp alot to get multi-tracked guitar sounds, i find myself post-eqing so that one sound gots the beef, and the other gots the definition. I find it really important to avoid a big mushy wall of distorted guitar. Sometimes i even cut frequencies in the guitar, and boost those frequencies in the bass if the bass is getting lost in the mix. It's even more important when not doing guitar-centric music. I find myself giving into synth lines all the time.
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack
Old 09-29-2010, 10:40 AM

OP understood. I guess my 2 cents got a little ahead of respecting the OP. My apologies.

Yes...I adjust the EQ on the amp itself; however, I ALWAYS try to get the sound I'm looking for out of the amp/mic combination and am very bummed when I have to put an EQ on it afterward. Not that it doesn't happen.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
OP understood. I guess my 2 cents got a little ahead of respecting the OP. My apologies.

Yes...I adjust the EQ on the amp itself; however, I ALWAYS try to get the sound I'm looking for out of the amp/mic combination and am very bummed when I have to put an EQ on it afterward. Not that it doesn't happen.
You shouldn't be bummed that you have to eq any track. I dont know your process, but Guitars are usually recorded after the drums how I do it, and before bass and vocals. If a synth is needed it may be recorded before or after guitar depending on the song. As things evolve, and more tracks are added, frequencies can clash, and thats where EQ comes in, to carve out a space for each instrument... which is why we mix a song, and dont just record a song.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio