Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 04-01-2013, 01:05 PM

Default Error when bouncing to disk

I am struggling with setting up ProTools 10.3.3 to bounce my 60 minute long Session (four stereo tracks, two eq filters, one simple delay) to disk. After about twenty minutes, the error message "could not read audio fast enough from hard drive" (or something similar) pops up. I have tried different settings in the Playback Engine without luck. I have the fastest ever Mac (2012 model iMac 27" 3,4 GHz i7 with 16 Gb RAM connected to a fast Firewire 800 external hard drive). I never have this problem when bouncing in LogicPro and Live8/9. Is it normal to have this problem with ProTools 10? Where can I find a guide to set up my system correctly? By the way, I bounce to my internal harddrive (desktop), while the Session and all audio files are on the external Firewire-drive.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Error when bouncing to disk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helge Krabye View Post
By the way, I bounce to my internal harddrive (desktop), while the Session and all audio files are on the external Firewire-drive.
This is a NO NO... bounce to external disk.... see if your problem is solved.

Also make sure you have all wireless network/internet/bluetooth off as this effects Bounce to Disk a lot.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:00 PM

Also to answer your question about system optimizations... look at this page:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...oting/en423791
Old 04-01-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthurley View Post
This is a NO NO... bounce to external disk.... see if your problem is solved.

Also make sure you have all wireless network/internet/bluetooth off as this effects Bounce to Disk a lot.
Hmmm, what kind of programming is that? Should I turn off Wi-fi on my Mac when bouncing? It's also a mystery why ProTools can't write the bounce to the internal hard drive, but I have to accept this and will try what you suggest. Thanks!
Old 04-01-2013, 02:13 PM

You have to understand... Pro Tools still uses old coding techniques and because of that plus the beast that pro tools is (it uses a lot of resources, more so than any other DAW on the market) which is why it requires specific compatible hardware and certain things, such as bouncing to the internal disk are not RECOMMENDED although can be done... I assume If you turn off your wireless you could get away with internal drive bounce since you only have a few tracks and plugins... but I would still recommend bounce externally.

Usually at home with my MacBook pro I7 If my wireless in on I get errors when trying to bounce to disk (usually on bigger sessions though) especially the internal... although I have bounced to internal disk turning the wireless off, I usually bounce to external disk (where my sessions and audio files live) so that the main disk can be used for the operating system and Pro Tools software to run.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:29 AM

those errors during bounce are very annoying.
The perfect solution for this is to consolidate all the tracks before you apply the bounce.
This makes the session allot more stable and in 90% of the cases it will solve the bounce problem.
...I hate workarounds but what can you do?