Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2018, 03:34 PM

Default PT 2018.1 iLok weirdness

OK, just installed 2018.1 to give it a run... I have 2 iLok attached to my iMac, 1 has my current HD license on it and the other a standard non-current 12.7 license - the current license is my personal iLok and contains various authorisations for software that I own and the other iLok belongs to the studio I'm presently working in and contains their authorisations - here's where the weirdness starts, on initial boot of 2018.1 PT alerted me that it needed to update all iLok attached to the iMac and not to remove them until complete, no problem, it then finished the update and promptly informed me that my license was for an older version and no longer valid - keep in mind I still had the iLok with the current HD license attached also - so, I then quit, removed the iLok with the non HD license and tried again... PT launched but then I was confronted with a dialogue telling me that certain plug in authorisations could not be found (I had removed the iLok containing them so that I could get 2018.1 to boot) I then re-inserted the other iLok and the plug ins authorised, cool!

I then opened a session and was promptly informed that the version I was running was not authorised and I had to quit PT

So... I can either run PT 2018 from my iLok and not access the studios plug ins or I can go back to using 12.8.3 with BOTH iLoks plugged in and access everything!

Thing is, I really want to give 2018 a go after reading so many positive things about it here

Seems to be something related to the new iLok cloud authorisation "feature" which may be tad lumpy.

Anyone else seeing this?

PS. Before anyone asked why I need 2 iLoks or why I don't just move the license to over to the one, remember, 2 seperate accounts and owners Mine and the studios
Old 01-29-2018, 04:56 PM

Default Re: PT 2018.1 iLok weirdness

If the studio decides to reinstate their 12.7 license, in order to get 2018.1, here’s an interesting offer:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PTAUP
Avid Annual Upgrade Plan for Pro Tools - Reinstatement
US $299.00 – or 3 easy payments
Or just US $13/month for 24 months
0% interest for 24 months*.
24 equal monthly payments required.
Valid through 12/31/2019.
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!

Last edited by unkJE; 01-29-2018 at 05:54 PM. Reason: info change
Old 01-29-2018, 05:16 PM

Thanks for raising this issue - I've only now realized that iLok should allow multiple versions of ILM to be installed - otherwise, it'll mean uninstalling & reinstalling ILM, every time someone wants to switch between 2018.1 and an earlier version!

(I do hope I've got this completely wrong!)
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 01-29-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkJE View Post
(I do hope I've got this completely wrong!)
yeah. that's not necessary. What the OP is doing should work fine. To the OP, log into iLok with the latest manager and do a synchronization on your ilok key (right click on the key and you'll see the option.) Then log out and log in as the studio (or have some one there do it) and do the same synchronization thing on the iLok belonging to that account. Do a quick reboot of the computer.

Then try it again with both keys in. I think these are just growing pains for all the license structures.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:02 PM

phew!!!

Thanks - I'm too old for panic attacks!
Old 01-30-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
yeah. that's not necessary. What the OP is doing should work fine. To the OP, log into iLok with the latest manager and do a synchronization on your ilok key (right click on the key and you'll see the option.) Then log out and log in as the studio (or have some one there do it) and do the same synchronization thing on the iLok belonging to that account. Do a quick reboot of the computer.

Then try it again with both keys in. I think these are just growing pains for all the license structures.
Thanks for your suggestion, but sadly, no go. Sync'ed both iLoks to their seperate accounts (and the iMac) and same result I've lodged a support ticket with iLok.com (wasn't that fun) and am waiting to hear back. Will report back.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Really loving ilok cloud

OK, I had a different issue the other day - and it's still an issue today! Rather than re-typing the whole thing, here's what I posted over on the PT 12 forum (sorry if I'm breaking the rules, but it was moved [to somewhere???] and I still haven't been able to get any resolution...

"just installed 2018.1 to give it a run... I have 2 iLok attached to my iMac, 1 has my current HD license on it and the other a standard non-current 12.7 license - the current license is my personal iLok and contains various authorisations for software that I own and the other iLok belongs to the studio I'm presently working in and contains their authorisations - here's where the weirdness starts, on initial boot of 2018.1 PT alerted me that it needed to update all iLok attached to the iMac and not to remove them until complete, no problem, it then finished the update and promptly informed me that my license was for an older version and no longer valid - keep in mind I still had the iLok with the current HD license attached also - so, I then quit, removed the iLok with the non HD license and tried again... PT launched but then I was confronted with a dialogue telling me that certain plug in authorisations could not be found (I had removed the iLok containing them so that I could get 2018.1 to boot) I then re-inserted the other iLok and the plug ins authorised, cool!

I then opened a session and was promptly informed that the version I was running was not authorised and I had to quit PT 

So... I can either run PT 2018 from my iLok and not access the studios plug ins or I can go back to using 12.8.3 with BOTH iLoks plugged in and access everything!

Thing is, I really want to give 2018 a go after reading so many positive things about it here 

Seems to be something related to the new iLok cloud authorisation "feature" which may be tad lumpy.

Anyone else seeing this?

PS. Before anyone asked why I need 2 iLoks or why I don't just move the license to over to the one, remember, 2 seperate accounts and owners Mine and the studios"

I've lodged a support ticket with iLok and they suggested syncing the individual iLoks which I did, but the error persists, any thoughts?

Last edited by Avid; 01-31-2018 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Moved to original thread.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:16 PM

It was moved and merged by Avid to this section (Licensing) so if you look at the top here in this thread you see your post which is the one you are reposting and looking for

No rules broken as you thought it was moved and you couldn't find it but if that happens again and you can't find it PM me or any moderator who moderates the forum you posted in and we will help you

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————