Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2002, 01:14 PM

Default DigiCS & "MAC-Based" DUC\'ers Project Idea

You know, it seems that just about every week here on the PT's LE-Mac forum, we get another user (new and old) that is having Extensions conflicts. I know this idea is absolutely biased from the Windows users P.O.V., but isn't it just common sense to have something that serves as a "Extensions" guideline. I mean the Logic Users (which is temporarily down BTW) have one, why not us digi users?

Seriously, even if it was just a couple of pages in the FAQ or Answerbase sections, it'd be better and easier than having to rely on the above logic page (that hasn't been constant for a while now).

Now, I understand and hope that Digi is working their *****es off trying to get us "X" compatibility so that we won't have to rely on extensions anymore, but still there will always be those Legacy users that could benefit from such a thing.

Just a speculative idea for you Mac users from a fellow Mac user.

Wha-d-ya think???
Old 01-11-2002, 01:39 PM

Default Re: DigiCS & "MAC-Based" DUC\'ers Project Idea

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>

"Now, I understand and hope that Digi is working their *****es off trying to get us "X" compatibility so that we won't have to rely on extensions anymore"

[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually extensions have just been replaced by other software driver type conventions in OS X. There will be just as many goofy problems with them... it's just a different approach.

I can't wait till OS X and whatever comes after really evolves into something exciting. Cause, so far I'm not impressed. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2002, 07:28 PM

I'll admit that I haven't fooled around in "X" yet, but the whole "extension ideology" has been something that needed to be changed a very long time ago. While not knowing much about the ins and outs of X, I'm sure that its' MIDI capabilities are probably way better than the old Apple MIDI Manager, and should it really excel, it should allow OMS to be completely phased out.

The whole reason for this Extension List/FAQ idea is that I actually found out the hard way. Which means trying to launch Pro Tools & OMS with every single Extension switched on & off, with many successive Restarts. The Digi "(PDF) Manual just tells you to use a duplicate of the OS Base Set", which will work, but if you're a home user, why the hell do you need LDAP Clients & Plugin, or NBP/NSL UI Libraries, and we all know that AppleTalk is a no-no as far as OMS is concerned.

If there was list of known, useable control panesls and extensions for PC Converts, MAC & Digital Audio newbies etc, etc... to look at (without even having a clue) before opening Pro Tools LE for the first only to have "PCI Bus", "Virtual Memory needs to be off" or "OT_ Lib could not be found" errors, etc, I think everyone could be more productive straight out of the starting gate.

The newcomer is what this idea is for OS X issues aside [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2002, 12:52 AM

I think the lack of extension reports lies in the fact that ther doesnt seem to be many conflicts.
I run a G4 867 with every extensions that I ever ran across. Not all the time, but, at some point of time I have loaded hundreds of extensions at once. I have never had a PRo tools conflict. ( that I am aware of)

Are there reports of an extension that is a known clanker?
I dont recall a one!
I even had Apple talk on for the last few days with no problems! That is a first for me.
Old 01-12-2002, 09:39 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Chompers:
I think the lack of extension reports lies in the fact that ther doesnt seem to be many conflicts.
I run a G4 867 with every extensions that I ever ran across. Not all the time, but, at some point of time I have loaded hundreds of extensions at once. I have never had a PRo tools conflict. ( that I am aware of)

Are there reports of an extension that is a known clanker?
I dont recall a one!
I even had Apple talk on for the last few days with no problems! That is a first for me.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto. We run a dual 800 G-4, and have never had a conflict. Same a sChompers we run every imaginable extension, ADN APPLETALK, with no problems.