Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2010, 03:26 AM

Default Sampler

I want a fully functional software sampler that works with PT 7.4 running on a dual 2.3GHz on Tiger. Is that at all possible these days?
Old 06-06-2010, 01:31 AM

Default Re: Sampler

Fairlight CMI.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Fairlight CMI.
LOL

I'd rather use my AKAI S5000 if it comes to that.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:12 AM

I've now watched all 6 parts of the Structure videos, and I like it. Clean interface, easy to use and nice features. Does it work? All the fuzz that's been on these forums seem to indicate that it doesn't work properly. What's your take on this? I see there's been released an update recently - did that remedy the problem(s)?
Old 06-06-2010, 05:55 AM

on my iMac c2d 3,06/4gb/10.6 it ran good even before the latest update.
If structure works in 7.4 (try free first) than I totally recommend it.
With all the Kontakt and EXS librarys out there, + the stuff from the Air USers blog and even more, it`s a great sampler.
1.0.3 made it work in Snow Leopard (not an issue for you I see,) and the latest update was to fix EXS import.

I know we are running different OS and PT versions. But if it works for me on 8.0.3, it should run great on the more stable 7.4. Enig?

I`ve been running 5 separate midi channels of 5 different patches at once and it`s light on the cpu, even when running from boot disk. (Just because I didn`t bother with my external drive when I was trying out new patches.

So i recoment it, IF it is available for 7,4.

Snarf/Stian
MacBook Pro i7/Apogee One/Duet/ElevenR/Pro Tools 12
Preamps from UA, Mackie and Avid.
Listening through Dynaudio, Genelec and ADAM
Old 06-06-2010, 06:14 AM

I've used Structure for the last two years on Mac and Win with few complaints. I now have the new build which definitely solved some outstanding issues and introduced a few "new" sounds. I did not have the need to import EXS, so I was not affected by a lot of the drama surrounding this VI.

If you are a big preset-playback cat and have a large library with several different formats I would currently recommend Kontakt, to be honest. They've had their own share of issues in the past, but are currently a solid, multiformat player in the sampler field.

However, if you're an AIR fan and going to use the VI for original sound creation with some patch playback, I think Structure works just fine, and sounds fantastic. Multiformat works fine now and you can also utilize the AIR Users Blog for some amazing patches and great videos. Russ is top notch.

Since you're basically a new buyer, you've come to this at a unique time. The whole tale surrounding Structure in the past was certainly a mess. There were several valid issues and points made by some outstanding hobos, and there were also a lot of people in our community acting like idiots and making us all look quite unprofessional. So take the DUC for what it is.

Whichever VI you choose, good luck. Make some awesome music!

=========
Old 06-06-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I know we are running different OS and PT versions. But if it works for me on 8.0.3, it should run great on the more stable 7.4. Enig?
Nei, egentlig ikke (in English - no, not really).

Different OS and an older version of PT could potentially be bad news.

Quote:
If structure works in 7.4 (try free first) than I totally recommend it.
There are some differences between Free, LE and the Full version of Structure. Don't know if stability/compatibility could be an issue between versions, but in general it's safe to say that with more features comes more issues.

Quote:
If you are a big preset-playback cat and have a large library with several different formats I would currently recommend Kontakt, to be honest. They've had their own share of issues in the past, but are currently a solid, multiformat player in the sampler field.
I own Komplete 5 with Kontakt 2 (I think), and it has some issues. And I will never ever spend another dime on NI products. I've had it with them, and it's a matter of principal now.

Quote:
However, if you're an AIR fan and going to use the VI for original sound creation with some patch playback, I think Structure works just fine, and sounds fantastic. Multiformat works fine now and you can also utilize the AIR Users Blog for some amazing patches and great videos. Russ is top notch.
I appreciate good libraries, but I also need a sampler where I can roll my own. Easy and flexible editing with drag-and-drop functionality. I do like AIR, and Russ.

Quote:
Since you're basically a new buyer, you've come to this at a unique time. The whole tale surrounding Structure in the past was certainly a mess. There were several valid issues and points made by some outstanding hobos, and there were also a lot of people in our community acting like idiots and making us all look quite unprofessional. So take the DUC for what it is.
I'm not a new buyer, and I've been on the DUC for a long time now. I've seen the DUC evolve.

After my horrible experience with NI and Kontakt, I gave up on samplers totally. I was curious about Structure when it first came out, and now I seem to be kinda pushed into sampling again due to client requests.

Thanks for your input, guys. I appreciate it.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:17 AM

Oh no. From the compatibility pages:

"Qualified Intel-based Mac running Mac OS X 10.5.x or 10.6.x (Intel only)

Pro Tools|HD, Pro Tools LE, or Pro Tools M-Powered system running Pro Tools 8.0 or higher software"

Fudge!

Old 06-06-2010, 09:31 AM

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=275294

There's 2 different version, and in the sticky I've linked to the 1.0.5 version seems to be compatible with my system?

If yes, is it possible to demo and buy the older version?
Old 06-06-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linhardt View Post
I did not have the need to import EXS, so I was not affected by a lot of the drama surrounding this VI.
EXS import was only a supporting actor in the drama. Small role. A cameo.