Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2009, 03:43 PM

Default Sessions Speeding Up upon Bouncing?

Hi guys,
New to the forums and I'm having a hard time-I'm on Pro Tools 8 on a Mac Pro Quad Core with the 002, and when I bounce session files down that use both my pres (also a Presonus), the tracks all speed up considerably after I've bounced them down. I've tried to mess with the sample rates and still nothing. I've heard that copying all the data and opening a new session with it could be a fix but I am unsure how to. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Sessions Speeding Up upon Bouncing?

Welcome to the forums, hope you get the answers you need.

I'm having trouble understanding exactly what you mean, might need you to elucidate a touch.

When you say "bounce session files down that use both my pres" what do you mean? Bouncing audio doesn't generally go anywhere near a mic-pre.

Are you talking about bouncing a stereo mix of your song? If so, are you using the "bounce to disk" option or are you outputting all your tracks to a bus and then recording the bus to a new stereo track within your session?

Assuming you're using "bounce to disk", how are you listening to your stereo mix afterwards, where it has sped up? Are you using iTunes (or equivalent), or are you importing back into your session?

Cheers,

Simon
Old 08-03-2009, 11:11 AM

Sorry for not clarifying, but when I say using both my pres, I mean that I have the drums recorded through a different pre, which has to be set at the same sample rate as the 002. I believe that I may have not synced them up properly which may be causing the speed up during playback. I use bounce to disk and I listen to them using iTunes. I have already done some mixing on these songs so hopefully there's some kind of fix for this.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:37 PM

If the song plays OK in Pro Tools then I'd say you've tracked OK and your external unit and your 002 must have been setup OK.

What is your session set to re sample rate and bit depth? 44.1KHz and 24bit?

When you're bouncing down, what are you choosing as sample rate and bit depth for the bounce? iTunes and CDs etc will expect 44.Khz and 16bit, things can sound odd if you bounce at something different.

The standard approach is to run your Pro Tools sessions at 24bit and whatever sample rate you choose (many just go with 44.1KHz, some say 96KHz sound better but it taxes your system a lot more, if you're recording for film/tv you'll choose 48KHz).
When you want to do a bounce to disk to hear rough mixes on other systems, choose 44.KHz and 16bit during the bounce down options.
When you do your final mix proper, leave it at the original settings and let the mastering engineer do the dithering down to 44.1Khz and 16bit which your final master will need to be at. If you're going to "self master" (don't do it!!!!), then create a master fader if you don't have one already and insert a dither plugin on the last insert slot and set it to 16bit before you do your final bounce down.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:32 PM

Thanks Ziko, I'm going back over to my studio tonight to try that out. You think if I had it bouncing down at 24 bit to iTunes that may be the problem?
Old 08-06-2009, 12:49 PM

Hi guys-still having the same issue. Good news is now I know the problem session was recorded at 48 khz instead of 44.1 I don't know if that helps at all but I'm still having that issue upon bouncing that to disk. Is there any way to re-choose the sample rate or another way around this issue?
Old 08-10-2009, 11:08 AM

Anybody have any idea how to fix this? Even if someone told me how to just copy the tracks to a new session to reset the sample rate thatd be good.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:38 AM

Since your files were clocked to the wrong sample rate, you'll need to manually change the sample rate of your session audio files with a different audio application like Sound Forge. Instead of 44.1k change the audio rate to 48k and it should work. I don't think there is any way to change the sample rates like this within pro tools itself.

If you have a large number of audio files, you should consolidate the audio tracks into one audio region per track. This way you will have fewer audio files to convert. You may also find a program to batch convert all of your session audio files.

hope this helps