Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2023, 09:32 AM

Default 2 new systems setup

Hi,
Setting up two new workstations...
We bought 2 brand new mac mini M2 and bought 2 subscriptions for Pro Tools Studio.
Received two separate emails from avid with installation instructions.

Ok so I installed avid Link, license manager, Pro Tools on the first one... all fine, using the link in the first email. I understand the licence is in my ilok Cloud account.

So I go to the second workstation, do the same, but using the link in the second email. All fine again.

But going back to workstation 1 and opening Pro Tools opens the followiing Message:

Code:
Move your ilok Cloud session
We have detected that you have an open ilok Cloud Session with the license for this product on a computer named "workstation 2"  

Click the OK button to close the other session and open one on this computer. the cloud licenses will no longer be available on the other computer if you do this.
(etc.)
It seems both installations point to the same ilok license?

In ilok license manager I only see one of the subscriptions I bought.

When setting up both machines, I followed the link on each email separately. email 1 -> workstation1 , email 2 -> workstation 2

Can someone help me to figure this out?

Thanks!!
Old 07-12-2023, 10:16 AM

Default Re: 2 new systems setup

you can only have one cloud session open per ilok account at a time. Did you use the same ilok account for both licenses? You can have multiple Pro Tools licenses in your iLok account but only one of them can be an icloud license.

You should buy two iLoks and use them on both machines so you can have a static license on each machine and not worry about cloud licensing.

Alternatively, you could make another ilok account for the second machine and transfer the 2nd license to that ilok account. Then you can login into two separate accound for cloud licenses for each machine.
Old 07-12-2023, 10:31 AM

Thank you its2loud for your fast and clear response.

Yes, I have one "main" ilok account for the Studio. It's the first time I purchase a subscription Pro Tools, all before were perpetual.

Argh My English is not good enough to express my frustation.
What's the reasoning behind this absurd limitation??

Ok let's say I create 2 new ilok accounts specifically for these 2 new workstations.

At this moment I only see 1 Pro Tools Studio licence in my main account.
Will the second licence appear there after I transfer the licence to one of the newly created ilok accounts?
Old 07-12-2023, 10:45 AM

One account, One cloud.

If your account has multiple licenses you need physical keys for other ones, except the one you wish to be authorising from cloud.
Old 07-12-2023, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucelar View Post
Thank you its2loud for your fast and clear response.

Yes, I have one "main" ilok account for the Studio. It's the first time I purchase a subscription Pro Tools, all before were perpetual.

Argh My English is not good enough to express my frustation.
What's the reasoning behind this absurd limitation??

Ok let's say I create 2 new ilok accounts specifically for these 2 new workstations.

At this moment I only see 1 Pro Tools Studio licence in my main account.
Will the second licence appear there after I transfer the licence to one of the newly created ilok accounts?
It's odd that you only see one license in your Avid account. Can you double check that to make sure? You should also see both licenses in your iLok account through iLok manager or by logging into iLok.com.

Since you already purchased both licenses with the same iLok account and it's a dubscription, you might have to contact Avid support to see about transferring one of them to a different iLok account owned by you. I'm not sure of the restrictions here.

If, for some reason, the 2nd license wasn't deposited or activated yet, it's possible you can activate it with the new ilok account.
Old 07-12-2023, 10:51 AM

2 accounts however does not make it possible to share plugins that allow multiple authorisations (within same account)
Old 07-12-2023, 10:56 AM

If you used two different emails for two different licenses then you must have used two different Avid accounts. Unless you purchased these licenses from a third party vendor. Usually your Avid account is tied to only one email account. The one you use to log in with.
Old 07-12-2023, 11:32 AM

I used the same avid account to purchase both subscriptions. both emails arrived at my personal email one after the other. I can see both purchases in my avid account "My products" page. Both subscriptions appear linked to my only ilok account to date.

on ilok.com (web) I can see both Pro Tools subscriptions.
One of them is activated (1/1) in Location: Cloud Session
The other is not activated (0/1) and Location is empty --

now in ilok manager I also see both licenses in the "All Licenses" tab.

I noticed the Transfer licence option is grayed out in both.

How should I proceed? I'm fine with having a separate ilok account for each Cloud license but before setting up I want to make sure I will be able to Transfer.
Old 07-12-2023, 11:51 AM

That's good that you see both licenses. As suggested, it would be best to have the licenses on physical iLoks. If you choose not to go that route, you'll probably need to contact support and see if they can transfer one license to another iLok account. You can create a support case and discuss your situation and options.