Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 01-10-2017, 02:41 PM

Default Does ProTools have a plugin similar to Audition's "Speech Volume Leveler"?

Adobe Audition has a tool called "Speech Volume Leveler" that evens out the levels of all selected audio. It comes in handy when dealing with an audio recording featuring more than one person at different levels.

Does ProTools have a similar feature? Thank you for the help!
Old 01-10-2017, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Does ProTools have a plugin similar to Audition's "Speech Volume Leveler"?

There are 3 ways(off the top of my head) to achieve this in PT with varying degrees of user effort. Clip Gain is invaluable for manually adjusting loud or soft words and phrases(I use this method a lot). A plugin such as Waves Vocal Rider can do it automatically(they often have sales so you can buy Waves plugins for very fair prices). Lastly, a compressor plugin can do this to a certain degree. You can also stack more than 1 compressor(which I do on all my lead vocal tracks) as it tends to sound better with each doing modest compression as compared to a single plugin doing ALL the compression. Having said that, as I said at first, I use Clip Gain to manually balance most of the dynamics as doing this makes the vocal hit the compressor more consistently, which yields a more consistent sound(especially when using a "character" compressor like SMACK!, which I really like on vocals). and I find that doing this manually gives me best control over the final result(okay, I'm a control freak)

Having said all that, if you have Audition on your computer, you could export the audio, process it in audition and then import back into PT

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-10-2017, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Does ProTools have a plugin similar to Audition's "Speech Volume Leveler"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post

Having said all that, if you have Audition on your computer, you could export the audio, process it in audition and then import back into PT
How about setting Audition as the external audio editor in PT - would this help any and make the process easier?

QAPLA!
Old 01-10-2017, 04:58 PM

Try Waves Vocal Rider.

Carl
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:30 AM

Eric,

Somebody (can't remember who off the top of my head) makes an auto clip gain manipulation widget, that targets a preset level by automagically adjusting the clip gain on each slice of your track. It means you have to choose by hand where to "pre-slice" the audio clips by hand, but I always thought it looked like it could be a bit of a time saver for post production workflows (not a PP worker myself though).

I remember that ProTools Expert had it advertising on their website at one stage (thought it looked very interesting) and they may have done a review of it at some point. Try a search on their website.

It's not strictly an automatic leveler in terms of auto-adjusting in realtime (or even one-time across the whole file by analysing the internal level changes) as such, for that I think what Albee has discussed covers those bases, but there is a Vocal Rider plug that someone else makes too, that is the same as the Waves one (I've tried both), but like straight ahead old school compression techniques, I never found it balanced the audio to the ear the way I thought it should. YMMV.

Hope that helps.

Regards.

Steve Bush
Old 01-11-2017, 02:19 AM

Could be "defaulter" Steve
Old 01-11-2017, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushpig View Post
Somebody (can't remember who off the top of my head) makes an auto clip gain manipulation widget, that targets a preset level by automagically adjusting the clip gain on each slice of your track. It means you have to choose by hand where to "pre-slice" the audio clips by hand, but I always thought it looked like it could be a bit of a time saver for post production workflows (not a PP worker myself though).
You'll be thinking of this puppy : http://quietart.co.nz/defaulter/

Find it a proper timesaver in certain situations :)
Old 01-11-2017, 03:02 AM

Ladies,

That's the sucker. And lo and behold, they're the fellow Kiwi's who also make the Wave Rider plug too!

Hiya JK. Get back to work you lazy fop! You're worse than me. That Procrastinator plugin we have inserted over our lives is very inefficient on system resources!!? Ha. I kill me.

SB
Old 01-11-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricKline View Post
Adobe Audition has a tool called "Speech Volume Leveler" that evens out the levels of all selected audio. It comes in handy when dealing with an audio recording featuring more than one person at different levels.

Does ProTools have a similar feature? Thank you for the help!
If you are talking about voiceovers, you mignt want to check out two Waves plugins dedicated to speech leveling (MaxxVolume and MV2). MV2 is more simple version of MaxxVolume.