Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2013, 11:28 AM

Default Clip List question

Hi, apologies if this is really basic but I cannot figure out...

Why are all audio tracks listed in the Clip List (far right of edit window) appearing with the SAMPLE based indicator (round blue symbol) instead of the TICK based indicator (green triangle)?

I have tracks selected to be TICK based when I create them, and the TICK symbol appears under the track name in the edit window.

Why then are clips created on these tracks appearing as SAMPLE based in the CLIP list?

Thanks for any insight...
Old 10-10-2013, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Clip List question

Audio tracks are on the left side, audio files "clips" are on the right
the sample icon in the Clip List denotes the clip between an Audio file clip and a Midi file clip
or something like that

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 10-11-2013, 11:02 AM

thank you for the reply, maybe I wasn't clear on the question:

I understand that that tracks in the edit window can be sample based OR tick based.

My question is why do ALL tracks appear in the CLIP LIST (the window to the right side of the edit window) as SAMPLE BASED (with the little blue "clock" icon)...as opposed to tick based tracks appearing as tick based in the clip list.

I did notice that when I enable elastic audio on a track, the clip list changes to indicate tick based...but when a NEW track is recorded (as a tick based track) it still appears in the clip list as sample based.

Anyone?
Old 10-11-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesuitelounge View Post
My question is why do ALL tracks appear in the CLIP LIST (the window to the right side of the edit window).
There are no tracks in the cliplist, just audio/video/midi/groups; the moderator already told you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesuitelounge View Post
but when a NEW track is recorded (as a tick based track) it still appears in the clip list as sample based.
Anyone?
In the clip list menu, do you have "show auto-created" selected. If so, you should see a sample based file clip and its tick based clip.

It really helps to use the right nomenclature.
A track is not recorded, audio is recorded on a track.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 10-11-2013, 01:11 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yes "show auto-created" is selected. I do see sample based file clips and tick based clips.

Allow me to clarify:

My question is why do clips automatically appears as SAMPLE based in the clip list (blue clock) rather than as TICK based (green triangle)? - I understand that audio is recorded onto tracks. What I was referring to was that I have the preference set for "new tracks default to tick based". Why, when AUDIO is recorded onto a tick-based track, does the CLIP corresponding to that audio appear in the CLIP list as SAMPLE based? For example, are all audio clips automatically truly sample-based by nature (as opposed to midi clips), and then "converted" to tick-based clips when elastic audio is activated?

That is where I am confused. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:28 PM

Hard assets like audio files are sample based. Even when you apply tick based changes the file is still a real sample based file. That is why you have to render things out.

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 10-11-2013, 11:10 PM

"I did notice that when I enable elastic audio on a track, the clip list changes to indicate tick based...but when a NEW track is recorded (as a tick based track) it still appears in the clip list as sample based."

clip list open,
track named "Audio 1" is set to tick based , elastic audio enabled , record armed
record , stop : clip list will show 2 clips
-> "Audio 1_01.wav/Audio 1_01" , sample based indicator
-> "Audio 1_01.wav/Audio 1_01-1" , tick based indicator

Seems, recording onto a track with just tick based selected, but not elastic audio enabled, does not show the tick based clip in the clip list.

"audio clips are automatically truly sample-based by nature" : nice depiction
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060