Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2006, 05:10 PM

Default Waves SSL vs. Duende

Hey All,

I'm faced with a decision, and could use some input. I'd like to get some SSL plugs, but there are two solid options available. There are tonnes of Waves SSL reviews available, but none of them make mention of how DSP hungry the plugs are. I'm running an HD1 system at the moment, and don't exactly have all the processing to spare (let alone the extra few grand for an Accel card). Now, option 2; the SSL Duende. From everything I hear the plugs are great, and the extra DSP makes it very appealing for someone in my position. My only concern is the stability of such a new hardware/software platform.

All in all, I'd like to have this decision made within the month. Can anyone make an informed recommendation?

Richard
Old 07-10-2006, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Waves SSL vs. Duende

The Waves SSL stuff is like a lot of Waves stuff---fairly DSP hungry. With regard to Duende, you might want to wait and look at the Focusrite Liquid Mix box. Good Luck! Barry Rudolph
Old 07-10-2006, 06:01 PM

thanks Barry. If I'm not mistaken, both units are set to ship into Canada in the next few weeks; perhaps I can test drive both units side-by-side. Should that happen, I'll be sure to post my results.

cheers,

Richard
Old 07-10-2006, 07:18 PM

you realize these products are very different from each other? They're not interchangable. The Waves stuff is SL4000 based and the Duende is from the C300 digital console.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:37 PM

yes, I'm aware that the Duende algo's are directly ported from the C200 console. They are SSL's own emulations of their E/G series channel strips, as well as the master buss compressor. While there is certainly going to be a tonal difference between the two, I'd imagine they are likely in the same realm, as they were cut from the same proverbial cloth.

I'll have to get my hands on the thing before I can make up my mind, but if anyone happens to grab one, I'd really like to hear some first-hand reviews.

Richard
Old 07-10-2006, 10:21 PM

I bought SSL Native to use with my HD3Accel. Saved the $$$ over TDM. This is a great combo. I run 20-30 native SSL plugs no problem plus loading up all the TDM and a couple TL Space Native.

I am concerned about Duende recall / Session setup time. And additional price. Duende maxes out at 32 mono channels. I get about this many easily in a loaded session on dual 2GHZ older G5.

No offline rendering in Logic.

Duende requires using a VST wrapper for PT use. You should find out what the consequenses of using Duende via VST wrapper and ADC are also.

Thoughts, A
Old 07-11-2006, 08:29 AM

Wow, thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions everyone. It sounds as if I really can't make a truly 'wrong' decision, no matter which route I take. Hearing how many native instances Ainslie got up to is also pretty encouraging, as I also have a dual 2ghz G5. At this point, I think my best bet is to download the Waves 7-day demo and mix an upcoming project with it. If I'm left telling myself that I can't live without it, I'll just get it and be done with the whole decision.

Cheers.

Richard
Old 07-11-2006, 09:03 AM

...I wish SSL had an expansion option for the Duende; I work a lot at 88.2/96, which reduces Duende to only 16 mono channel; kind of a bummer.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:33 AM

Quote:
...I wish SSL had an expansion option for the Duende
Can you run multiple units for more plug-ins?

Carl Fuehrer

Pulsar Audio Lab
Old 07-12-2006, 04:00 PM

Quote:

Can you run multiple units for more plug-ins?
Unforetunetly SSL says no:

http://solid-state-logic-en.custhelp...i=&p_topview=1