Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-10-2010, 07:21 PM

Default Laptop specs for Pro-Tools 8.0

ok i tried to get opinions on this b4 but not much success, so ill ask in a dedicated thread as i have just made an offer on another laptop for my son to use with protools 8.0 and mbox2 pro (and some other usb device he uses with the mbox) and want to see if his current laptop will still be ok rather than get another one.

currently has a HP dv2000 laptop
2.0ghz dual core
2gb 667 ram (max)
1x 160gb hdd (5400rpm)
3x USB
firewire for his external hdd (a requirement of PT i was told)
runs win 7 32bit at the moment, but we were told to still use XP pro 32bit (preferably a lite version) with his new PT LE 8.0 as he is upgrading from 7.4

new laptop
dell studio 1555
2.0ghz core2 duo
3gb 800mhz ram
3x usb
1x firewire
hdmi
1x 250gb hdd (5400)
shipped with vista 32bit, but has win 7 home premuim upgrade included.

not sure how XP will install on the 1555, have to get XP drivers i guess.

* will the HP dv2000 be fine with XP installed

* will the 1555 be better and stick to win 7 32bit on that with PT LE 8.0

cheers
Old 03-10-2010, 10:53 PM

Default Re: Laptop specs for Pro-Tools 8.0

As long as you have Vista 32 installed I would try 8.0.1cs1 and see where you are. (IMHO) don't go to W7/64 until the drivers are out of beta. Do all of the system tweaks as recommended by AVID. You will need an external firewire drive and probably a Texas Instrument controller to run it.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-11-2010, 10:00 AM

DEFINITELY a TI controller. Dell firewire does NOT play well with Pro Tools. (Dell in general, actually...)
Old 03-11-2010, 03:48 PM

ok thx for the help, but im still in the dark somewhat, regarding the actual cpu and ram that is required on a laptop to run protools 8.0.3 which is the version my son has ordered on dvd from his local music store, upgrading from 7.4.

we were told to strip down XP 32bit and install it on his laptop, but no point if 2gb of ram isnt enough, which is why i was getting him another more powerful laptop if needed.

now, i was told by this forum to get one of these OWC firewire enclosures as his 2nd hdd, using oxford 924 chipset.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT

now i need to ask why we cant use the onbboard firewire on his laptop and what is this texas instruments firewire controller you refer to ???

seems like a lot of messing about to me, and his college runs 7.4 in all their systems right now and he told me they dont use firewire ext hdd on their laptops.

also why does it have to have the 2nd hdd and why firewire and not USB ???

im about to buy him a 3 month old dell 1555 laptop with 4gb ram but no point if his dv2000 laptop is ok as far as 2gb of ram and 2ghz cpu goes.

CHEERS AND THANKS.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:04 PM

Your 32-bit applications will actually recognize about 3.7 gigs of ram, so 4 gigs is great, it will just ignore the rest of it.
EXTENSIVE testing has shown that USB does not have sufficient bandwidth for
streaming audio, hence the Firewire requirement. And there isn't a PT application in the world that will work consistently by recording to the system drive. That's probably the number one cause for errors on this forum.
One option, though, since most laptops have a drive bay for a DVD burner, is to put your secondary drive in the DVD bay and use an external DVD burner.
The proven, reliable method for communicating between a computer and an external drive is a firewire controller on the PC end with a Texas Instruments chipset. Any number of cards from SIIG will fit this requirement. Then on the drive end, the external firewire drive needs an OXFORD chipset. I got a couple of external enclosures from www.byteccstore.com for 25 bucks apiece, put 7200-rpm hard drives in them, instant compatible external FW drive! For around 75 bucks each.
DELL computers might be great for everyday tasks, but that doesn't qualify them as good PT rigs. The requirements for Pro Tools are much greater than surfing the 'net and keeping your books straight!
Hope this helps. Don't shortcut the recommendations...you'll spend ten times more time chasing errors than creating.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:06 PM

perhaps i can lend some insight...

pt does not operate well with external usb drives. firewire is recommended as it is tested tru and thru.

pt does not operate well with only 1 singular hard drive, hence the need for a second. you should not record to your os hard drive, nor a partition of that hard drive.

windows xp pro can utilize 4 gbs of ram. you should actually consider upgrading the ram from 3 to 4. and use a 3gb switch *which means, that instead of xp dedicating 2 gbs to programs and 2 gbs to system functions *which it actually only uses 256mb-1gb,* it will tell xp to use 1 gb for system functions reserved, and 3 gbs for programs* which is where the extra ram is needed.

also, depending on your sons needs and etc. why not just get him a desktop to keep at home, and have him utilize his lap top for on the fly or in school work.

with an upgrade to ram of course ;-)

i7 920 2.66,
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R,
6 GB Corsair XMS3 Ram,
WD 500GB 7200 rpm HD,
WD 750GB 7200 rpm HD,
MBox 2 Mini, PT LE 8,
Axiom 49 Midi Controller,
Akai MPK 61 Midi Controller,
AKG C-414 Microphone.

Wish List: 2 Months.
Digi 003 BLA Mod,

MBP i5, 2.53 Ghz, 4GB of ram, 320GB internal, 500GB External Firewire, Waves Mercury,

Dverb Test - 156

"How you gon' do an 'Intro' to an 'Outro'?"
-Steezy on "Goodbye" By Spliit
Old 03-11-2010, 05:15 PM

ok thx guys for the replies so far.

his dv2000 laptop has 2gb of 667mhz ram and a 2.0ghz dual core cpu and 160gb 5400rpm hdd, and it cant take any more ram, but it has firewire.

have another dell latitude D620 with 4gb of ram, 2.0ghz dual core cpu, 1x 80gb hdd, but no firewire port, but i bought one of these PCMCIA to USB/Firewire adaptors to use in the PCMCIA slot, but seems thats no good because you recommend a texas firwire controlled firewire card.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5558

he has an E8400 gaming pc with 4gb of 800 ram and has onboard firewire on the EP35-DS3P mobo.
this pc has win 7 pro 64 installed on one hdd and XP Pro 32bit on another hdd in the pc that he was using with his mbox2 pro and PT 7.4 but all his friends have laptops to record their audio stuff with using PT 8.0 and mbox recording interfaces, but he says they dont use firewire ext hdd.

the issue here is that they record their practice sessions (his band) and also record demo tracks and dont want to lug around a desktop pc.

i have a dell studio 1735 with 2x 200gb hard drives in it (1x 5400 storage and 1x 7200 windows drive) but its far too good to let him use that.

so 4gb of ram is better than 2gb for sure as i need to know this much to determine if i need to get him another newer laptop that i intended to get today, or just use the D620 and get some kind of texas instrument firewire card to attach (maybe in the PCMCIA slot) but the card i just linked to above isnt texas instruments, its a chinese device but it works.

cheers and thx again guys (from hobart, australia)
Old 03-11-2010, 06:08 PM

Run, don't walk, from the dv2000! It has a notorious design flaw that is well documented on the internet. I should know, I have one. Basically, it has an overheating problem, and even when HP fixes it, they replace it with the same defective parts. I bought a brick!

Hope this helps with your decision...!!

Rocketeer
Old 03-11-2010, 06:39 PM

Good piece of info.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 03-11-2010, 08:15 PM

well yes it has as far as my son using it for for protools, but we have had it for 6 months after we found it in the back of a warehouse and was said to be broken, so my mate opened it up, saw no ram or hdd, added2gb of ram, a 160gb hdd, it booted up on the win 7 disc, it installed and i have had it here all this time as an every day laptop and its perfectly fine, least nothing has gone wrong yet, but like i say, its just used as his or my mobile laptop for everyday stuff, so i take note of your advice, and will only use it for its intended purpose :)

its either the latitude D620 or the dell studio 1555 which i can buy for au$550, a bargain given its current model, 3gb ram, 2.0 dual core, 15" 1366x768 screen and 250 hdd.

i just tried out that pcmcia firewire adaptor on my daughter dell 8600 laptop and it captured some video from my dv cam so at least the firewire works, so too the 2 usb ports on it as well, but im figuring those 2 usb will not be full 2.0 compliants ???

ill have a talk to him tonight about what u guys have said, so thx a lot.

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketeer View Post
Run, don't walk, from the dv2000! It has a notorious design flaw that is well documented on the internet. I should know, I have one. Basically, it has an overheating problem, and even when HP fixes it, they replace it with the same defective parts. I bought a brick!

Hope this helps with your decision...!!

Rocketeer