Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2009, 12:38 PM

Default Re: just updated to vista, now pro tools does not work

gotta be the walk-about he's on!!!

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 06-11-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Is there any chance you have installed I.E.8?
yes i did, after upgrading to vista, there was something like 87 updates, over 400mb, so i just downloaded the 2 service packs, and then only had to update about 7 things. one of those packs, i believe 2, comes with ie8, i didnt really think being more up to date/secure would hurt. however, towards my later tries, i uninstalled this, and got worse results, pt8 would install but on launch wouuld say "program has stopped working".

Quote:
Originally Posted by rqstudio View Post
I'm sorry, you probably mentioned this also but the thread is a bit long and I guess I have A.D.D. But did you say PT worked on this same puter with XP and 7.4? Do other PCU hogs run on the new setup? (like a video editing program?) This sounds like a problem I had while doing some upgrading I had to swap out a perfectly good ATI video card because it didn't play nice with Vista 32. When I posted about it a lot of people replyed that they switched from the NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX to an ATI. (exactly the opposit of what I had to do) It may be worth a try?
yea im sorry, im just extremely frustrated at this situation, especially when almost all of the components in it are very high end. PT did work on this computer previously to vista, i've been a customer since i was using the mbox1 with pt6.4 i think it was, that worked, and everything continued to work all the way up to when i purchased my 002r and upgraded to pt 7, thru 8.

the video cards aare 9800gtx+'s, i was running on two radeon x1650 pros, but i also use this machine for some light video editing/recording and games, so i dont want to revert back to those dirt old cards. also, this was never a problem in xp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykhal c View Post
what OS did you use prior to your latest install?? XP?

WDC WD10EACS-00D6B0 (1TB, SATA300, 3.5", 5400rpm, NCQ, 16MB Cache) : 932GB (C:) (D:) (E:) (F:) (G:) (H:) (I:) (J:) <=== this would be of concern to me. Vista brings a lotta bloat that XP didn't have. and this slow spinnin' drive 'could' be part of your problem.
i installed on the c drive this time, just so i wouldnt have any issues with waves windows popping up upon opening pro tools (btw, that doesnt fix that issue). i did used to install on drive "o" which is on a faster hard drive, but then again, if thats the issue, pt8 should still install, and just run slow, not give me "program has stopped working" errors
Old 06-11-2009, 04:54 PM

nother nice tidbit to mention now, is after so many reinstalls i guess, microsoft register server has stopped working pops up everytime i install/uninstall now. ive done the dep workaround, and i have user account control turned off, logged in on my acount, which is the only account, with admin rights. that did not work, another joy of vista i guess.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch Drunk View Post
yes i did, after upgrading to vista, there was something like 87 updates, over 400mb, so i just downloaded the 2 service packs, and then only had to update about 7 things. one of those packs, i believe 2, comes with ie8, i didnt really think being more up to date/secure would hurt. however, towards my later tries, i uninstalled this, and got worse results, pt8 would install but on launch wouuld say "program has stopped working".

yea im sorry, im just extremely frustrated at this situation, especially when almost all of the components in it are very high end. PT did work on this computer previously to vista, i've been a customer since i was using the mbox1 with pt6.4 i think it was, that worked, and everything continued to work all the way up to when i purchased my 002r and upgraded to pt 7, thru 8.

the video cards aare 9800gtx+'s, i was running on two radeon x1650 pros, but i also use this machine for some light video editing/recording and games, so i dont want to revert back to those dirt old cards. also, this was never a problem in xp.

i installed on the c drive this time, just so i wouldnt have any issues with waves windows popping up upon opening pro tools (btw, that doesnt fix that issue). i did used to install on drive "o" which is on a faster hard drive, but then again, if thats the issue, pt8 should still install, and just run slow, not give me "program has stopped working" errors
that's what runnin' on a slow 5400 rpm drive brings...the program to its' knees

to be honest...IMHO...the changes you've made goin' to Vista and PT8 on a 5400 rpm drive has brought you to this point. and i have to add that i'm not sure your DAW physical file layout is the best for optimum performance either. i hate to say this, but i hope you have a bkup, cloned drive that you can go to. if so i would revert back to the original setup, prior to Vista and PT8. then redesign your partition layout and your choice of installed hdd's. with what you are after you are gonna HAVE TO be on ALL 7200 rpm drives at a minimum. hope this helps

Old 06-11-2009, 05:21 PM

lol everytime i install i get different errors, its wonderful i get a pace 529697949 error now

Quote:
that's what runnin' on a slow 5400 rpm drive brings...the program to its' knees

to be honest...IMHO...the changes you've made goin' to Vista and PT8 on a 5400 rpm drive has brought you to this point. and i have to add that i'm not sure your DAW physical file layout is the best for optimum performance either. i hate to say this, but i hope you have a bkup, cloned drive that you can go to. if so i would revert back to the original setup, prior to Vista and PT8. then redesign your partition layout and your choice of installed hdd's. with what you are after you are gonna HAVE TO be on ALL 7200 rpm drives at a minimum. hope this helps
its partitioned so much becuase back in the early xp days, having a 500gb hdd or over used to give you really bad data corruption and problems if it wasnt partitioned somthing like once every 125gb, i have 2 500gb drives, and a 1tb drive, so i was kinda forced into that. i believe the issue was solved in service pack 1, but trusting data corruption on faith of a windows update just didnt sound intelligent to me, and its easier to keep organized and defrag this way. also, i never had any issues with this setup before

im giving it one last install on the 7200 rpm drive, in the same place i had it in xp, then im selling my 002r and pro tools 8. sorry digi, but being stuck in 32bit is enough, im not reverting back to a 9 year old operating system too.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
lol everytime i install i get different errors, its wonderful i get a pace 529697949 error now

its partitioned so much becuase back in the early xp days, having a 500gb hdd or over used to give you really bad data corruption and problems if it wasnt partitioned somthing like once every 125gb, i have 2 500gb drives, and a 1tb drive, so i was kinda forced into that. i believe the issue was solved in service pack 1, but trusting data corruption on faith of a windows update just didnt sound intelligent to me, and its easier to keep organized and defrag this way. also, i never had any issues with this setup before

im giving it one last install on the 7200 rpm drive, in the same place i had it in xp, then im selling my 002r and pro tools 8. sorry digi, but being stuck in 32bit is enough, im not reverting back to a 9 year old operating system too.
i hear ya. but what do you think Vista is goin' to bring for PT8 that XP won't? both 32bit OS, right? yeah bro, i think you committed the cardinal sin of upgradin'...always change one thing at a time seems like you went after Vista and PT8 all in one swoop!!! hard to trouble-shoot that way!!! just sayin'....much luck to resolution

Old 06-11-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
i hear ya. but what do you think Vista is goin' to bring for PT8 that XP won't? both 32bit OS, right? yeah bro, i think you committed the cardinal sin of upgradin'...always change one thing at a time seems like you went after Vista and PT8 all in one swoop!!! hard to trouble-shoot that way!!! just sayin'....much luck to resolution
no i had pt8 working on xp for a while before i upgraded to vista.

the problem here doesnt lay in the os, it lays in pro tools incompatibily with modern os's and hardware. xp is extremely outdated, barely supported, discontinued, and will no longer be supported at all in 2 years. it doesnt utilize dx10 or other graphics card features i need for video editing and games, and the security holes it has are huge. how a company continues to choose that as it's main platform for its software, and limit its users not only to that os, but 32 bit, non raid, non dep, and a slew of other things, is beyond me.

adobe audition, fruity loops, --even games like WoW, run perfectly in vista, and some arnt even compatible with it. the version of fruity loops i have, i baught way back in god knows when, its 3.0, and it STILL works in vista, flawlessly.. WoW i can just click and open from the hdd it was installed on...without even reinstalling it... i dont have to rollback graphics card drivers, undo security updates and browsers, revert back to os's almost a decade old, none of that. ive never had to visit any of their forums for problems, google search for hours, or spend entire days just to have a program not work at all.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
...how a company continues to choose that as it's main platform for its software, and limit its users not only to that os, but 32 bit, non raid, non dep, and a slew of other things, is beyond me...
I think we have exact opposite opinions of the reliability of the two operating sytems--not gonna rehash the reasons. Where I work--where another team supports 300 desktops re-iterated their decision to avoid vista.

We use windows server 2008 for servers, but for desktops... XP is still king. Lots of software we use is not supported on vista.

Only thing I will add is that after watching windows from 3.0 to today, I haven't noticed much difference between the service from microsoft for software that is supported and software that is not.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
no i had pt8 working on xp for a while before i upgraded to vista.

the problem here doesnt lay in the os, it lays in pro tools incompatibily with modern os's and hardware. xp is extremely outdated, barely supported, discontinued, and will no longer be supported at all in 2 years. it doesnt utilize dx10 or other graphics card features i need for video editing and games, and the security holes it has are huge. how a company continues to choose that as it's main platform for its software, and limit its users not only to that os, but 32 bit, non raid, non dep, and a slew of other things, is beyond me.

adobe audition, fruity loops, --even games like WoW, run perfectly in vista, and some arnt even compatible with it. the version of fruity loops i have, i baught way back in god knows when, its 3.0, and it STILL works in vista, flawlessly.. WoW i can just click and open from the hdd it was installed on...without even reinstalling it... i dont have to rollback graphics card drivers, undo security updates and browsers, revert back to os's almost a decade old, none of that. ive never had to visit any of their forums for problems, google search for hours, or spend entire days just to have a program not work at all.
my bad on thinkin' you upgradin' all at once

just to add...and this is just my opinion...but you are complainin' about an OS (XP) that was WORKIN'!!!...with PT8 and a 5400 rpm hdd is NO WHERE near state of the art bro!! it's down right out-dated!!! and to top it all off you are tryin' to run the most cpu intensive DAW software on the market today on a system that you want to game on too!! IMHO if you want all this on ONE system set your system up as a multi-boot...PTLE on it's partition...games on another just sayin' again and still hopin' you find resolution

Old 06-11-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
I think we have exact opposite opinions of the reliability of the two operating sytems--not gonna rehash the reasons. Where I work--where another team supports 300 desktops re-iterated their decision to avoid vista.

We use windows server 2008 for servers, but for desktops... XP is still king. Lots of software we use is not supported on vista.

Only thing I will add is that after watching windows from 3.0 to today, I haven't noticed much difference between the service from microsoft for software that is supported and software that is not.
microsoft has always had a way of having their newest os be full of bugs and compatibility issues upon release, and not becoming even near stable until some service packs and years later. remember win 95? 2000?

when xp came out, i was still on 98, and it worked great compared to the things i was seeing with xp. at a certain point though, the security and support isnt enough. you run into networking issues, and your defence against viruses is pretty pathetic --at the same time, the next os is just reaching stability... which is the point i think vista is at now.

other than pro tools not working, the overall performance of vista has been better for me, especially in gaming or video. one of the other xp machines here got infected with some crazy virut.bs virus a few weeks ago, and i was forced to reformat to get rid of it, becuase it infected the entire system and let open so many backdoors for trojans it was unbelievable. it even infected a usb stick, which i then plugged into a vista laptop, but wat do ya know.. vista bugged out and quarentined it upon the device auto-loading.

Quote:
my bad on thinkin' you upgradin' all at once
no problems :)