Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2008, 08:49 AM

Default Sneak Peek feedback?

Anyone attend one of the PT8 sneak peeks and have some feedback?

I'm going to the one in Universal City tonight...

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:56 AM

Default Re: Sneak Peek feedback?

Just thought I'd post back. It was certainly standing-room only at RSPE tonight. I would guess 150-250 people in the room. The digi guys did a great job considering they had to do it all in about an hour or so. Not sure I learned anything new - but then I've also seen the AES presentation, the Sound-on-Sound interview with Phil Jackson, saw at least two videos by Scott Church on PT8 from his blog site, AND watched all the DigiTV videos on it.

I did learn that with PT8, when you export a score to Sibelius, it doesn't go across as a midi file any more, but as a Sibelius file so you should be able to start where you left off in Sibelius.

One of the RSPE sales guys mentioned 26 new plugins - from the built-in effects in Structure mostly. IF that's the case, then it should include a new compressor, distortion, para-EQ, flanger, phaser, delay, a few different reverbs (including a convolution reverb), multi-chorus, enhancer, tremolo/auto-pan, delay & multi-tap delay, rotary speaker (although you can also use the Leslie from the KB33 organ that comes with PT8), and a few more.

They also demonstrated Satellite and Satellite LE, which allow you to run a QT movie with LE (or AVID movie codec with HD) in sync with the "main" computer running PT to off-load the high-def video to a separate CPU. It does this using an ethernet cable only - not separate synchronizer required. Maybe this isn't a new product, but I wasn't familiar with it.

This still looks like a pretty revolutionary upgrade in that includes 5 new VIs (well, Expand! is simply expanded, but 4 brand new ones), a midi editor, and scoring. PT will be a bit more self-contained with the expanded plugins and VIs.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.