Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2016, 04:49 PM

Default Ilok dongle?WTF?

Someone please help me get this straight... tried AVID chat (twice) and no help (they only sell stuff, don't answer questions) Tried AVID support phone numbers (you have to already OWN Protools to get get any help there)...so I have to ask here... I have ProTools First and like it enough to where I wanted to purchase an annual subscription but it seems I have to have an actual PHYSICAL device known as an iLOK. ($40 on Amazon) Is this for real? I have to buy a device before I can use the download??? Thanks for any information regarding this situation.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:12 PM

Default Re: Ilok dongle?WTF?

...welcome to the party pal!

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Old 11-11-2016, 05:48 PM

Having an iLok is going to be needed for most 3rd party plugins anyway, so buy one(and maybe a spare) If this stuff is important(and I suspect that it will be), be aware of a few things about iLok:
#1-you need an iLok 2 or 3(the older key-shaped versions are not working with current 64 bit software)
#2-treat it nicely(IOW, its not indestructible by any means. If you will use it with a laptop, get the "dongle buddy" which is a short USB cable so the iLok hangs. If you hit an iLok hard enough and its plugged straight into the computer, you can break the iLok, the USB port or both(not good at all)
#3-consider buying the ZDT coverage(read up at iLok.com). especially if you plan on taking tax write-offs for musical stuff(its another write-off and you can't have too many)

While on the surface, the iLok seems like a huge PITA. All you need to do is reload all your stuff and have to repeat the authorization for a few dozen 3rd party plugins with codes and the iLok starts looking pretty darn convenient If you really hate it, there are plenty of other DAW options that don't require it(Reaper and Harrison Mixbus for 2)

BTW, Slate often has specials where you buy a plugin and they give you a free iLok 2(and they make some excellent plugins)...

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-12-2016, 05:14 AM

Thanks for the clarification. Good info that apparently AVID/ProTools keeps hidden somewhere. Actually, I just wanted access to more than the 3 sessions that PTFirst gives me. And not sure I want to bring a dongle buddy to the party.
For the time being I will check out Reaper.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezul View Post
...welcome to the party pal!
:)
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
#3-consider buying the ZDT coverage(read up at iLok.com). especially if you plan on taking tax write-offs for musical stuff
heck plan on getting ZDT if your human and you have a life.....you will loose it at some point, and it will break eventually.....ZDT for $30 a year is gravy on the top of mashed potatoes......well heck yeah I want it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
If you really hate it, there are plenty of other DAW options that don't require it(Reaper and Harrison Mixbus for 2)
Studio one from presonus as well
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.