Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2014, 04:06 PM

Default What in the world is a DLL file?

Hey guys. There's trouble in river city! While in a rush trashing preferences I did it again! Clicked and deleted the wrong file! I then emptied the trash! Plugins all gone! So, I said to my self, self, just delete and reinstall Pro Tools with the installation cd. It has the plugins on it right? The disk is Pro Tools 9.0 and I was on 9.0.6. No problem sez I . I'll just install 9.0 and then download the 9.0.6 update from the Avid site. Now the problem. After deleting and reinstalling 9.0, I get a little popup that says, "missing DLL file". I've done this 3 times now with the same results each time! And to add insult to injury I can't update to 9.0.6 if 9.0 refuses to install!! What's a guy to do? If anyone has a clue here I'd appreciate your help and guidance. Pre thank you!
P.S. The disk may be damaged but I don't know how it could be as it has been in the wallet since I first installed PT's 9. I pride myself on proper care of cd's.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:14 PM

Default Re: What in the world is a DLL file?

Terry, this is a bad problem. I know myself, I am pretty good at saving an image of my whole PC somewhere when its working well.. Just keep that image somewhere for occasions such as this. If it were me, I would be unraveling that backup right about now.. IF you don't have that, I believe DLL is Data Link Library.. Kind of like mini module programs on all the things your PC does.. I can absolutely tell you that every plugin (3rd party or not) will have DLL's on your box. And I also know that there are directories where all of your stuff will be centrally located.. and it sounds like you killed that. If you don't have a backup image, my next thought is that you're going to have to re-install all your plugins as well. Sounds like you did protools already. I hope that whatever plugins you have can just install the module program and not the data per say. In other words, IvoryII is one of my many plugins, the program module takes about 2 minutes to install. The actual 16 DVD's of Piano samples takes a full day to just install that.

But I think thats going to be the answer for you short of an image restore, you're probably going to have to reinstall all your plugs..
Good luck!
Old 12-03-2014, 06:33 AM

It's dynamic link library actually..
Does the error say which dll is missing? Depending on the file, you could try extracting the dll from install files or downloading from the net, although that comes with a bit of a risk.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
Hey guys. There's trouble in river city! While in a rush trashing preferences I did it again! Clicked and deleted the wrong file! I then emptied the trash! Plugins all gone! So, I said to my self, self, just delete and reinstall Pro Tools with the installation cd. It has the plugins on it right? The disk is Pro Tools 9.0 and I was on 9.0.6. No problem sez I . I'll just install 9.0 and then download the 9.0.6 update from the Avid site. Now the problem. After deleting and reinstalling 9.0, I get a little popup that says, "missing DLL file". I've done this 3 times now with the same results each time! And to add insult to injury I can't update to 9.0.6 if 9.0 refuses to install!! What's a guy to do? If anyone has a clue here I'd appreciate your help and guidance. Pre thank you!
P.S. The disk may be damaged but I don't know how it could be as it has been in the wallet since I first installed PT's 9. I pride myself on proper care of cd's.
Do you know exactly what .dll it is?

Have you tried a system restore point?

If it's a Windows file you can try sfc /scannow from an administrator command promt.

If it's a plugin, can you re-install the plugin? It would help to know the exact error.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 12-05-2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
What's a guy to do?
Have a backup plan!!

Seriously, do it.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 12-06-2014, 05:14 AM

Thanks cwsand. I managed to recover by using the ap true image. I can't recall the proper name of the program. since I had never used it prior to this problem it recovered back to the day when I first bought the pc. I managed to recover my audio files. With the help of Sweetwater tech support I successfully updated to Pt's 9.0.6 so I'm back in business. I have also scheduled automatic periodic updates. We learn by our mistakes as stupid as they may be!

Last edited by Terry Wetzel; 12-06-2014 at 05:16 AM. Reason: not finished
Old 12-06-2014, 05:21 AM

Thanks for offering help Benoni. since my skills are minimal I decided not to persue the dll problem. I had an alternate plan that worked out. (See my answer to cwsand). Thanks for your help.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:56 AM

Hey Terry,
Since you have Acronis True Image software, I would do an image backup of your C:\ drive right now, after you have successfully got back to 9.0.6. That way, if you have a problem with PT in the future, you can quickly get back to where you are right now. Any time you add something to your setup (new plugins, etc.) make a new image. When you are saving the backup image files, use a descriptive name, including the date made. I usually make a new backup image every 3 months or so, and store it on an external drive, deleting the oldest image if I am running low on space. I personally do not use the automatic periodic updates, because I don't fully trust the incremental method (lack of understanding of it fully). Since my Pt computer is not connected to the internet, nothing really changes on it over time, unless I add something manually.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Thanks for offering help Benoni. since my skills are minimal I decided not to persue the dll problem. I had an alternate plan that worked out. (See my answer to cwsand). Thanks for your help.
That's cool. But in the future try to get a screen cap, take a picture with a cell phone, or write down the exact error message. These things can be very specific and will help in tracking down the exact issue.

Glad you are up and running.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 12-08-2014, 05:05 AM

mslackeridge. Thanks for the advice. Question. is it ok to store the image backup files on C/Ds until I get another drive? Right now I only have one remote drive and that's where I keep my session files.