Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2014, 10:16 AM

Default What's a better output connection for HD Omni?

Need a lil help for output routing using the HD Omni. I'm correctly using the Trs 1& 2 outputs going to a Samsung C-Control to be able to utilize the Sub-Woofer output & TalkBack on the Samsung C-Control. Wondering if I could achieve a better setup(sound) by using a DB25 cable for output routing & just setup different monitor mix's for the Subwoofer for when I don't need it! Or maybe there a way to route that I'm not aware of.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:02 PM

Default Re: What's a better output connection for HD Omni?

Before anyone else spends time trying to figure out what piece of gear is being discussed...Samsung C-Control is actually Samson C-Control.

I'm not sure exactly what the question is, but why not just press the Sub button to turn the sub on and off as needed?
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 04-20-2014, 10:27 AM

The big question for me is; is the C-Control and active or passive box? If its active, at that price I would not expect great quality. I feed my main outs to a Presonus Central Station(which is passive for zero coloration) and that feeds my mains(Event ASP8's), small speakers(M-Audio BX5's) and a sub(Rokit 10 fed by a digital tuned crossover). That allows me to select either set of speakers, with or W/O the sub. Your best bet is to experiment and let your ears be your guide

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-20-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
The big question for me is; is the C-Control and active or passive box? If its active, at that price I would not expect great quality. I feed my main outs to a Presonus Central Station(which is passive for zero coloration) and that feeds my mains(Event ASP8's), small speakers(M-Audio BX5's) and a sub(Rokit 10 fed by a digital tuned crossover). That allows me to select either set of speakers, with or W/O the sub. Your best bet is to experiment and let your ears be your guide
It's active, cheap production aka Behringer's copy of it - Had it very short time 8-9 years ago and sold it for Big Knob. Nowadays I have Presonus Central Station Plus and couldn't be happier for connections possibilities but is it right choice I'm still not 100% sure.

Using Omni with Samson C-Control is like having sex with 10 condoms around you main cable plug.

Joke aside, use your speakers through Omni directly (bypass the sub when not needed) and your ears will be grateful to you.
AVID HD Native PCIe + HD OMNI; Digidesign 192 I/O (2x) & 96 I/O; Icon QCON Pro & QCON EX; Softube Console 1; NI Kontrol 25; Arturia SparkLE; UAD-2 Satellite DUO; UAD-2 PCIe DUO; Tascam DA-3000; TK Audio BC1-S; Warm Audio WA76; SSL XLogic Alpha Channel (x2); SSL X-PATCH; Lindell Audio 6X-500, 7X-500 & PEX-500 (all x2), lots of TCE & Lexicon reverbs; VintageMaker LittleOne 16/2 Summing Mixer; MUTEC MC3+ SmartClock; Mac Pro (2009) 8 Core 2.26; 24 Gb RAM; Pro Tools HD 12.8
Old 04-20-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denka View Post
It's active, cheap production aka Behringer's copy of it - Had it very short time 8-9 years ago and sold it for Big Knob. Nowadays I have Presonus Central Station Plus and couldn't be happier for connections possibilities but is it right choice I'm still not 100% sure.

Using Omni with Samson C-Control is like having sex with 10 condoms around you main cable plug.

Joke aside, use your speakers through Omni directly (bypass the sub when not needed) and your ears will be grateful to you.
But what about "talkback', which the OP also mentioned. It would be quite difficult to do that with just the Omni...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 04-20-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
But what about "talkback', which the OP also mentioned. It would be quite difficult to do that with just the Omni...
As handy as the TB feature of the Presonus is, I stopped using it for 2 reasons. 1-because the relay doesn't wear well(every time I hit the button now, it makes a nasty scratching sound in the phones) and 2-no matter how many times I told someone they need to push the TB button or hit the switch I gave them, they would always talk at the talent, NOT hit the button, and nobody heard anything. Now I have an automated TB setup that works pretty nicely, with no effort on my part(room mics into AUX tracks. Insert compressors to level, insert limiters that are side-chained from a hidden audio track with pink noise on it. in stop mode, mics are active and everybody can hear everybody. Hit PLAY and the mics duck)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-21-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
As handy as the TB feature of the Presonus is, I stopped using it for 2 reasons. 1-because the relay doesn't wear well(every time I hit the button now, it makes a nasty scratching sound in the phones) and 2-no matter how many times I told someone they need to push the TB button or hit the switch I gave them, they would always talk at the talent, NOT hit the button, and nobody heard anything. Now I have an automated TB setup that works pretty nicely, with no effort on my part(room mics into AUX tracks. Insert compressors to level, insert limiters that are side-chained from a hidden audio track with pink noise on it. in stop mode, mics are active and everybody can hear everybody. Hit PLAY and the mics duck)
That's what "Listenback" is for...

You don't see it a lot any more, but some large-format consoles still have it...

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 04-25-2014, 06:18 PM

We have way to much conversation in the control room that we DON'T want the "talent" to hear.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com