Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2001, 10:54 PM

Default fraud on harmony central :(

Everyone beware of this ad, or anyone purporting to sell anything resembling the profile below. Out of haste and stupidity I just got taken for $1160 by this person. God I feel like such a trusting idiot, this sucks. Its been over 2 weeks since i paid and there has been no response to my numerous emails. I also traced her mail headers back to www.freedom.net and Internet privacy site that doesn't reveal information about their users. Everyone that can please email them expressing your concern with their business practices. I have filled a complaint with paypal as well as https://www.ifccfbi.gov/ and hopefully something will come out of it.. Take it from me, do not hastily buy something without checking EVERYTHING first.. God i just want to crawl in a hole. I just bought a 1622 and a g4 to support my upgrade from a digi001..and now I can't use any of it.. sigh. The ad is as follows:

Pro Tools 24 Gear For Sale
Asking Price: US$N/A
Condition: Excellent
Description:
d24 (Pro Tools 24 core card) audio card- $650 (+$5 shipping)
DSP Farm (rev Q)- $500 (+$5 shipping)

Thanks, everything here is first-come-first-serve. Everything is priced to move, no lowballers please. Thanks everybody!
Seller: Jennifer Houston,
E-mail: [email protected] (Profile)
Post Date: 6/8/2001
Old 06-29-2001, 05:36 AM

Default Re: fraud on harmony central :(

maybe you couldnt join us for the taizo debacle. @yahoo.com email? what were you thinking? 1000 dollars for a mix system? of course you got burned. sorry to hear this.
Old 06-29-2001, 08:44 AM

It's not a mix system...it's the d24..but it's still too cheap to be true....

-Robert
Old 06-29-2001, 09:06 AM

This is what I do when it comes to buying "used" equipment from now on...

I made a decision as to the amount of money I could live with losing....and use that as the minimal by which I will actually buy an airline ticket and fly out for a day to make the purchase, for me the line is at $1400 If im spending more than that I buy a plane ticket, I figure the $200-$300 cost is well worth a piece of mind, ofcourse if the amoutn negates the deal then I just buy the item new.

Just a thought...
Steve
Old 06-29-2001, 09:20 AM

Ryland,

Contact the network manager at Harmony Central. If she posted, they have her IP address logged.

It will identify her ISP- their NAT server has a log of user accounts which can indentify individual users.

Also. Contact your local USPS inspector.
Old 06-29-2001, 10:18 AM

Oh I see. She's masking her IP address with the Freedom Suite App.

Can BUY & SELL posts on the DUC originate from this PAT address?

'Cause that seems like a good one to block?
Old 06-30-2001, 12:20 AM

Ryland, I saw that post minutes after it was posted, and sent an email for "her" to call me and that I would buy the whole lot. I asked for the serial numbers as well..Big surprise..I never got a return call. Did you actually speak to someone? Or did you do this all just by email?

I suspect that "she" waited for someone that would do it via email, as to make it eaiser to pull off the scam..
Old 06-30-2001, 10:39 PM

yeah I'm an idiot and should have been more careful, but hindsight is 20/20 right? I guess I wanted to believe it to be true..and I had never had any problems buying/selling anything online and at the time I didn't know a d24 was worth $1500...go figure.. bah. it was stupid..oh well.. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Anyways, there is hope, freedom.net is investigating the user, and she also emailed me from 2 other isp's verio and nord-sued.com, and I think the second one may be an accurate assesment of who it is..switzerland..hmm. well, paypal is looking into it I imagine and hopefully something good will come of all this, besides realizing my own foolishness..

god people are dissapointing sometimes..oh well..

-ryland
Old 07-03-2001, 12:07 AM

call the police!