Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 06:04 PM

Default My 001 Finally Died-Questions Before Upgrading

My venerable and faithful Digi 001 has finally given up the ghost on me (after years of daily use) due to a power surge that pretty much killed everything I own (and nearly burned down the house).

So, before I upgrade I am hoping to clarify a few points. Please keep in mind that I am someone who has been comfortably using OS 9.1 for years now and haven't kept up with the OSX madness.

I was able to run Logic Express (old version), as well as Pro Tools Le on my 001. Is it still possible to run Logic, specifically the Pro version, on an 002r without major headaches? I've read elsewhere it is possible, but folks said that a 512mb buffer was the minimum setting.

Also, now that the M-Powered stuff is out, would I be better off running Pro Tools M-Powered along with Logic Pro on an M-Audio FW1814? The differences between the M-Powered Pro Tools Le and the Le that ships with the 002r will not affect what I do, so I can go either way. Even though I do most of my audio in PTLE, I would like to record audio in Logic if needed without having too high of a buffer setting.

Finally, the folks at the Apple store could not confirm that I could use an external monitor and a Powerbook at the same time. Looking at the specs, this shouldn't be a problem and would allow me to have a two monitor setup if I am reading everthing correctly.

Just for info, I'm going with a Powerbook 17", 1.67 processor, and 1 GB of Ram (possibly 2). I already have an external firewire drive (several actually) that should work fine with this system. Also, I usually only record twelve or so audio tracks along with some Midi tracks, so my system should handle my needs with either program.

Thanks for any advice, input, or suggestions you have.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:14 PM

Default Re: My 001 Finally Died-Questions Before Upgrading

The PowerBook is a great choice and you can run an extra monitor in addition to using your PowerBook screen. I can't believe they didn't know that at the Apple Store, that is a little pathetic. You can see the differences between LE and MP at this page by going to the "software comparison chart." If I were using Logic Pro I think I would go with MP cause of having more flexibility with the hardware.