How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2014, 10:46 PM

Default Instrument Definitions for Yamaha S90

Hi everyone,

Thank you in advance for your help. I need to add an instrument definition for the Yamaha S90 keyboard in Pro Tools 11.2.2. I've searched the internet and this site for an answer to no avail.

I need to do the following:

1. Find out what file format the instrument definitions are in. (See note *)
2. Then I need to know what folder in windows 7 pro (64 bit) the instrument definitions go into.

Pro Tools 11 has the Yamaha S80 definitions built-in but I would prefer to use the right ones since the instrument names have all changed.

Thank you,

Eric

* Note: I purchased the S90 definitions used for Sibelius 7.5.1 from http://www.soundsetproject.com/soundsets/yamaha/s90/
I don't know if that is helpful or not. These are *.xml files and work fine in Sibelius.

I have found *.midnam and *.ins definitions for the S90 as well.

Hardware stuff is listed on my profile -- but is not relevant here.

Last edited by EricJohnson; 12-02-2014 at 11:35 PM. Reason: To better follow site guidelines.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:40 PM

Default Re: Instrument Definitions for Yamaha S90 (resolved!)

Here is the response to my request from Avid Tech Support.

If you landed on this question you may find the answer helpful.

BTW, modifying the List.middev file was a trivial matter.

: )

Hi Eric,

The file you need would be a .midnam file. We only support the midnam files ones that come with Pro Tools. Files you create or find online may not perform as expected. There are sites that have user created .midnam files you can download and some manufactures will supply them. You can Google .midnam files and you will find some options.

There is a site called digicake.com that has some .midnam files posted for download. They do have a Yamaha S90 file posted.

I was able to use this file with Pro Tools but I don't have a Yamaha S90 so I can vouch for the accuracy of the patch names. If you want to use this file here are the steps I would recommend.

Go to www.digicake.com/midnams

Download the S90 file they have posted.

To use with Pro Tools 11 unzip it and copy the unzipped .midnam into Program Files/Common Files/Avid/Pro Tools/MIDI Patch Names/Digidesign/Yamaha.

Launch Pro Tools and go to Setup>MIDI>MIDI Studio Setup

In the MIDI Studio Setup window look to the right of Instrument: and you will see the Create button, select the Create button to create an Instrument for your Yamaha S90.

Now you can enter the instruments properties.

Set the instrument name, I recommend you call it what it is Yamaha S90.

For manufacture you can select Yamaha.

For Model, I would leave this blank, you can set the model to S90 here unless you edit the Digidesign Device List.middev. See may explanation at the end of this reply.

Set the input and output ports to reflect the devices shareware connection to your system and select the MIDI channels you want it to use.

In Pro Tools create a session and then create a MIDI track.

Set the output of your MIDI track the the device you created for the Yamaha S90.

Look in Pro Tools under View and make sure Narrow Mix is not selected.

Look on your MIDI track just above the name and your will see the patch select icon, it looks like two little windows arranged on top of each other, select the Patch Select button a new window will open for your devices patches.

In the new window that opens look in the lower left corner and select the Change button.

Browse to Program Files/Common Files/Avid/Pro Tools/MIDI Patch Names/Digidesign/Yamaha ans select the S90 midnam.

You should see the patches populate the window the path select Window. Once you have performed these steps the patches should come up for this MIDI device in all sessions going forward.

If you do decide to edit the Digidesign Device List.middev the following applies:

Editing the Digidesign Device List.middev is usually more trouble than it's worth and unless you are comfortable with XML it can result in losing all of the model names.

If you decide to undertake this please backup your current Digidesign Device List.middev.

The Digidesign Device List.middev. is located in Program Files/Common Files/Avid/Pro Tools/MIDI Devices.

Copy and paste the Digidesign Device List.middev. to your desktop as a backup before you edit the original. Moving the copy back into Program Files/Common Files/Avid/Pro Tools/MIDI Devices will get you back to the default state if you need to reset things.

Editing these files is actually cross platform and there are Mac instructions that will work for PC as well here:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ow_to/en427731

Let me know if you run into any issues or have any additional questions about this.

In most cases we respond to online support inquiries within one business day. If we don't hear from you within five days our support system will check in with you automatically and let you know that it will close the case . If this does occur, the case is closed automatically, and the issue is not resolved you have 25 days to respond and reopen the case.

Best regards,
Bill
Avid/Digidesign Technical Support