Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2014, 09:05 PM

Default Windows or Mac OS X for PT DAW

I'm in the process of upgrading my entire DAW setup: computer, interface, etc. I initially picked the Mac because I've read that they have a smoother learning curve and are basically easier to use, without having to perform nearly as much optimization compared to a Mac.

I'd stay with a Mac, no question, if it didn't have such limited compatibility with software other than audio production. I'm familiar with the Parallels software, but buying this, as well as the Windows OS, is a pretty large financial setback.

My main question is how reliable a Windows machine is, w/ PT, compared to a Mac. Is the price point the same when using the same specs, or as similar as the can get given the two separate OS's.

If I was to get a MacBook Pro, it would be:
  • 2.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
  • Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz
  • 16GB 1600MHz memory
  • 256GB PCIe-based flash storage1
  • Intel Iris Pro Graphics
What Brand/Model of Windows based laptops can run PT as well as the Mac listed above? Basically, I'd like to have the opportunity to play certain video games and maybe other Windows specific programs.. while avoiding the extra cash needed for Parallels and Windows OS systems (as mentioned above for Mac compatibility).

Thanks,
-Adam
Old 12-03-2014, 01:58 PM

Default Re: Windows or Mac OS X for PT DAW

As far as Mac OS vs. Windows, use whichever you like. Both will run Pro Tools fine(anybody tells you otherwise is a fool). HOWEVER, PC laptop vs MacBookPro....the MBP is a MUCH safer choice(and I'm a PC guy). There are 2 considerations here; power(easy to find on both platforms) and compatibility(MUCH more important, and much more likely with the Mac). Two words of caution.

#1-This:
256GB PCIe-based flash storage1
might be an issue. Fusion drives have shown to be worthless for Pro Tools and I don't know if that is a Fusion drive, or something else.

#2-what interface will you use and what connections are available? New MBP's no longer have firewire(but Thunderbolt to FW cables are supposed to work), so this may limit your choices for an interface and for a recording drive(and you DO want a separate recording drive)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave