Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2016, 12:47 PM

Default Digi 002 Kernel Task Issue

For those who still wish to use the 002/r on El Capitan, I was able to get my 002r working using the 10.3.3 drivers. Initial testing looks good. Haven't put it they a hard test yet (20+ tracks). So far it runs great on Ableton and Logic (can't say anything for Pro Tools since I don't use it anymore). Just make sure to remove DigiDioMidiDriver.plugin file from the Midi Drivers folder (located in HD>Library>Audio>Midi Drivers) as that has caused problems in the past.

Note: DO NOT USE THE 11.x DRIVERS!! These drivers still have the kernel_task error when running your 002/r.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:52 AM

Default Re: Digi 002 Kernel Task Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon lefisch View Post
For those who still wish to use the 002/r on El Capitan, I was able to get my 002r working using the 10.3.3 drivers. Initial testing looks good. Haven't put it they a hard test yet (20+ tracks). So far it runs great on Ableton and Logic (can't say anything for Pro Tools since I don't use it anymore). Just make sure to remove DigiDioMidiDriver.plugin file from the Midi Drivers folder (located in HD>Library>Audio>Midi Drivers) as that has caused problems in the past.

Note: DO NOT USE THE 11.x DRIVERS!! These drivers still have the kernel_task error when running your 002/r.
Hello. I tried you solution, but in this case avid 002r doesn't work as output in system pref for itunes or for any player or online music or youtube, it works only with Logic, Protools etc.
And actually i didn't delete DigiDioMidiDriver.plugin.
What i did, i just used soundflowerbed. Old version with app, not only with drivers.

So i am using OSX 10.8.5, soundflowerbed and 10.3.3 drivers.
I tried el capitan, but in el capitan soundflower crashes very often and it has sound cracking everytime.

If someone need old soundflowerbed, just write me on email [email protected]
Old 06-18-2016, 10:17 AM

For those who are having problems with freezing system with latest drivers and kernel_task, there is a solution. It really works.

1) Open System Information (under Apple icon in upper-left, click About This Mac, click More Info)

2) Click System Report button, under Hardware, find your "Model Identifier" -remember this for later use

3) Navigate to /System/Library/Extensions an right-click, Show Package Contents of IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext

4) Open Contents/PlugIns and Show Package Contents of ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext

5) Open Contents/Resources

6) Find your MacBookAir?_?.plist (? = your model identifier from step 2) and delete the file

7) Reboot! Remember, anytime you do a System Update, you may need to repeat this process

So now i am using MacBook 5.2, with driver 11.1.3, osx mountain lion 10.8.5 and i don't use soundflowerbed for system soundoutput. Working like a charm.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbridge View Post
For those who are having problems with freezing system with latest drivers and kernel_task, there is a solution. It really works.

1) Open System Information (under Apple icon in upper-left, click About This Mac, click More Info)

2) Click System Report button, under Hardware, find your "Model Identifier" -remember this for later use

3) Navigate to /System/Library/Extensions an right-click, Show Package Contents of IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext

4) Open Contents/PlugIns and Show Package Contents of ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext

6) Find your MacBookAir?_?.plist (? = your model identifier from step 2) and delete the file

7) Reboot! Remember, anytime you do a System Update, you may need to repeat this process

So now i am using MacBook 5.2, with driver 11.1.3, osx mountain lion 10.8.5 and i don't use soundflowerbed for system soundoutput. Working like a charm.
Darkbridge: many thanks for this workaround, it really cured a plague that affected my system for the last 2 years!
Old 06-27-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpass View Post
Darkbridge: many thanks for this workaround, it really cured a plague that affected my system for the last 2 years!
Well, actually i forget to tell, that if you won't to use digi 002r with any DAW, you need to go to HD/Library/Audio/Midi drivers and delete or remove somewhere all files from this folder except Avid 003 Family.plugin.
After that restart and it will work, but midi in/out MAYBE will not work.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Hello. I tried you solution, but in this case avid 002r doesn't work as output in system pref for itunes or for any player or online music or youtube, it works only with Logic, Protools etc.
As I had stated in my previous post, it only worked for Logic/Ableton. I never said anything about using it for iTunes/etc.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon lefisch View Post
As I had stated in my previous post, it only worked for Logic/Ableton. I never said anything about using it for iTunes/etc.
That's ok, now all is working:)
Old 12-21-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:

I have tried this but it won't let me delete my iMac12_2.plist file. It says it is required by OS X and can't be modified or deleted. How did you delete it? I am on 10.11.3 El Capitan
Old 12-22-2016, 09:30 PM

So I found a way to delete the file by starting up in recovery mode then using terminal to disable the security. It still didn't help the issue but I also installed the newest 003 drivers from October and they really helped. It took the kernel task usage from 105% down to around 40-45%. Still not as low as it should be but much more accepatable and I don't get playback errors anymore. So seems like this will work for now.