Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2002, 05:01 PM

Default comp/gate before pro tools

I was wondering when you are tracking drums if it is a good idea to compress and gate the drums while you are trcking with outboard, or if it is better to track it raw and then use the gates and comps in pro tools, thanks Jeremy
Old 10-10-2002, 08:22 AM

Default Re: comp/gate before pro tools

Hi!

Compressing drum tracks while recording is a matter of taste. You´ll also need a lot of experience, too. You know, there´s no undo at this stage!
But NEVER, and I say NEVER gate drums while tracking, cause you never know what the drummer is doing next. There are so many unpredictable factors...
just let it be.
A slightly overcompressed snare is not so bad as a wrong triggered gate on the bassdrum!

Greets

Markus
Old 10-10-2002, 09:35 AM

Default Re: comp/gate before pro tools

I agree with the previous poster. I foten compress slightly when recording (2:1, 3db max reduction) and sometimes again when mixing. I prefer to compress slightly a few times rather than once alot.

However I never ever ever gate anything when tracking. If I really need to gate, (whihc is never, I edit instead or use volume automation) I want that choice when mixing, not be locked into it when I tracked.

Hope this is helpful.