Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-16-2008, 05:49 PM

Default Can you guys help me build a PC for ProTools?

Hey guys the reason i registered on the forum is because I am going to get a new PC soon and I decided to build my own so that it will be cheaper. I have been a PT user for a while, but my laptop is not very good with that program for some reason and I have decided to Upgrade. My budget is about

900$

for the computer alone (without the screen), and I do have a basic idea of what I'll be looking for as far as specs, but I would appreciate your help because I know that there is a significant difference between a computer for gaming an movies and a computer for ProTools and audio.

I looked at the sticky thread (best Desktop PC for PT or something like that), but i had a conversation with a friend who knows about computers yesterday and I think I might be able to get something better for 900$.
The specs I have in mind and I know I could possibly get for that ammount of money are Quad core processor, 6-8 gigs of ram (I need a lot because i use a lot of plugins), 2 harddrives, one for windows& programs about 160 gigs and the other for protools sessions and my files maybe 750gigs, Don't really care about the graphics card (the only thing i really want is to be able to play the new Tomb Raider when it comes out in a few months . That's what I think I need/want, but i am open for suggestions on the basic specs and the main thing i wanna find out is what components to look for specifically to match that basic spec list i have in mind. If you guys can just suggest some already proven configurations that match my price range i would be willing to go for that too.
Thanks a lot in advance and if i missed something feel free to ask.

P.S. The reason why i am posting this thread is not because I am too lazy to do research on my own, but because I want to be able to discuss it with other people so i can get the best possible configuration for ME and MY PRICE RANGE. If I posted this in the wrong section, please move it and don't just delete it. thank you

Last edited by borislav_tonev; 10-16-2008 at 05:52 PM. Reason: forgot to mention something
Old 10-16-2008, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Can you guys help me build a PC for ProTools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by borislav_tonev View Post
I looked at the sticky thread (best Desktop PC for PT or something like that), but i had a conversation with a friend who knows about computers yesterday and I think I might be able to get something better for 900$.
But will it be as stable and proven to work? Would you rather overlook a proven build to gain a little bit of processing power you most likely won't even need? If you're so concerned about margins, why not save up for another week or two, pony up the extra $100-$200, and go for the Intel build?

Quote:
6-8 gigs of ram (I need a lot because i use a lot of plugins)
1. Plugins generally use a negligible amount of RAM. The only reason to NEED to have more RAM is if you use a lot of VSTis that load samples into RAM like East-West, Ivory, BFD, etc..

2. What operating system are you intending to run that will allow you to use that amount of RAM? Currently, with XP, the most RAM Pro Tools can possibly be allotted is 1.7 gigs or so (2.7 if you "hack" the .exe file.) 4 gigs of RAM is what it is until things fall into place between 64-bit operating systems & Digidesign.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:14 PM

Yes, I do use a lot of Samplebased plug-ins in my sessions, that's why i think i need the ram, and from talking to my friend and seeing some components and prices on the internet i just got the impression that i can get something better for that amount of money. And could you explain a little more about the 64-bit systems and protools? and if i'm not mistaken, the processor on that thread was a 64=bit dual core AMD?

edit: and can anybody tell me why the ram memory on that freakin' sample config costs so much???
Old 10-16-2008, 07:00 PM

First like AlekLakis stated use a proven stable build and spend a little extra money. Using a non standard configuration will only end up causing extra hassles and problems. Been there done that. The Intel spec at this point will give you the most bang for buck.

64 Bit Vista and ProTools are not compatible at this point and for the foreseeable future. There are many threads on this subject as well. The bottom line is that you will have to use either Vista 32 or XP which will cap your memory usage at 4GB.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:11 PM

Well like i said i don't mind using a proven system, i would love to do that, but just that the one in the thread seems too expensive for what it is and actually i found out why - it was posted on February 2007. I do like the motherboard and the processors though, so i will probably look for somethng similar. More advice is welcome.

and by the way, actually the main software that i use is FL studio, so I am still willing to get more than 4gb ram even if PT can't take advantage of it. Actually what I will probably end up doing is just get 2x 2GB plates and make sure i have extra slots on the motherboard in case i wanna get more.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:49 PM

I'm afraid it's the operating system limiting your RAM usage, not Pro Tools. If you wanted to give more RAM to Fruity Loops and use it at the same time as Pro Tools, you'd have to build two separate computers and run a 64-bit operating system on the Fruity Loops one and basically treat it as an outboard processor (alternatively, if you didn't need to run them at the same time, you could install both operating systems on the same computer and duel-boot-swap between them as needed.) This is, of course, assuming that Fruity Loops is compatible with a 64-bit operating system, which I'm completely unsure of.

Indeed, it may prove expensive to build the original Quadzilla since a few of the parts may be hard to find these days...Again, why not go for the Intel? If you're concerned about getting "the most for your buck," it would seem the logical way to go?

Also, to re-emphasize sentiments from the sticky threads, changing even what one may consider to be a small detail about the build opens up a whole slew of potential problems. RAM, video card, even power supply can render the build completely useless for Pro Tools (she's a fickle mistress!) So, if you elect to modify one of the builds, do as much research as you can and see if you can find others who have made the same modifications and find out how it has worked out for them. Otherwise, you're on your own, and it will be much more difficult for the community to help you troubleshoot should problems arise.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:57 PM

Well, i think I'll just get 4gb with option for expanding later, and I ve been reading a little more and I'm beginning to sway toward a intel core 2 quad with an asus motherboard.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:05 PM

While I agree with what's been said, you can also consider my system as described below. It has been very solid and would be quite a bargain right now. I run 40+ audio tracks with plenty of auxes and plugins and spend most of the time set on the 128 buffer.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-17-2008, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Well, i think I'll just get 4gb with option for expanding later, and I ve been reading a little more and I'm beginning to sway toward a intel core 2 quad with an asus motherboard.
Read the first page of the 'best core 2 ..' thread and just choose one of the hardware combos on there. Its definatly doable under $900
Note: some of the recent Asus mobos have diffrent firewire chips than they used to, so you might need a dedicated FW card if you plan on useing 003 or Mbox2 pro.