Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2010, 06:59 AM

Smile Re: Best Desktops for PTLE

Believe it or not but this system works great. You just need to disable the onboard audio in cmos since it will share irq with the firewire port. Not always an issue if not disabled but if you make an error while running protools and get one of those windows error dings it tends to throw the connected digi firewire interface off. Just remember to set all the recommended optimization settings. One setting seems to work best for playing vitual instruments, recording and mixing. HW setting 512, 4 processors at 85%. The audio drive is a WD 10,000 rpm raptor. Dae error once every 2000 hrs. Usually never appears again when you start play back. If you do not want to see this error increase buffers from 2 to 4. So here is the system. Acer Aspire AM5620-U5210. Digi 003 audio interface.

http://cdbaby.com/cd/..WayneDawkins
http://www.audiosparx.com/waynedawkins
Old 05-28-2010, 08:10 AM

Default Mother board compatible?

An Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5Ghhz Processor being used for Protools 8 Le.
What is the compatible Motherboard to use with this Processor.

Thanx Much.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:43 AM

Default Re: Best Desktops for PTLE

The Asus P5Q series comes to mind.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 05-29-2010, 08:25 PM

Thanks Much Tom for your input!
Old 05-29-2010, 08:34 PM

I have an ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo with a q9550 and I have not had any problems with PT on windows 7 64bit. It's a nice board other than only having 4 memory slots.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:20 AM

Thumbs down What's up with AMD processors ?

Not seeing any current AMD build specs ... which, of course, I could be missing SOMEWHERE.
I am thinking of building a new, cost/performance "optimized" AMD PhenomII quad core on a Gigabyte 890FX chipset MB, which I would like to work with Windows7, PT LE and my 002 Rack. Anyone have any experience with such a system. I have nothing against Intel (other than cost), but nothing aganist AMD either. Am I missing some problems with AMD quad core systems ??
Old 06-03-2010, 02:06 AM

Default Re: What's up with AMD processors ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culhane View Post
Not seeing any current AMD build specs ... which, of course, I could be missing SOMEWHERE.
I am thinking of building a new, cost/performance "optimized" AMD PhenomII quad core on a Gigabyte 890FX chipset MB, which I would like to work with Windows7, PT LE and my 002 Rack. Anyone have any experience with such a system. I have nothing against Intel (other than cost), but nothing aganist AMD either. Am I missing some problems with AMD quad core systems ??
In my personal opinion, there's nothing wrong with AMD as a product. But reliability and longevity might be an issue. In the past, one of the main problems in regard to both has been thermal. AMD has notoriously ran hotter, therefore (fill in the blank).

I'll also add that there's more compatibility issues with the AMD ecosystem (supporting hardware/firmware in part) for Avid and that the majority of compatibility for them is (most likely) designed around the Intel ecosystem. I could be wrong about that.
Eleven Rack (live rig and studio rig!!)
Win7 * 003R * PT 11
Old 06-05-2010, 07:53 AM

Hey everyone,
I just wanted to ask a few questions, and I've been researching this to the point of near madness, and I believe I am more confused than when i started.
Basically, I used to record on a PC based Cubase system, which I had huge issues, and never ending problems with, so I switched over to a Korg D3200 workstation about 5 years ago, when they first came out. Well, now I am realizing that I am not getting the results I want, and the unit is difficult to use because of the interface, and 3.5" screen. So I go down to my local music store, and the salesman there sells me on an iMac, with a pro tools interface, so being that my budget is tight, i put the Mac on layaway, then foolishly started researching options on my own.
The Mac @ 1200$ seems like a solid deal, however one firewire port, for the interface + HD seems like i'd be asking for problems? Plus the iMac is not easily upgradable, and I've never used a Mac before, so I'm worried about a learning curve for the operating system... That being said, I started researching a PC for pro tools, and have just come across pages and pages of people having problems with just about everything under the sun with regards to PC hardware.
Now, while I'm not unfamiliar with computers in general, It's been a while for me since i've built / bought a PC. So I'm not so well versed on the new processors/chipsets etc. I am leaning towards scrapping the idea of buying the Mac, and going with a PC. I'm just afraid of buying something again, that I'm going to have unresolvable issues with. (I barely have free time at all, let alone to spend it diagnosing problems, rather than recording/writing). I guess in short, What would be the best option for me? Buying a PC that works right out of the box? (was hoping someone could recommend something that is currently on the market that has components that play nice with PTLE). Or should i just go with the iMac?
Basically, I want to sequence and trigger superior drummer through MIDI with my V-drums, and be able to record one or two tracks at a time, guitar tracks, bass, drums and vocals; mix, add effects, and master.
I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong forum, or my problem is too vague for you to help me, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if any additional information is needed. I thank you in advance.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:56 PM

Default Re: What's up with AMD processors ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culhane View Post
I'm wondering the same thing. In fact, i don't think our potential rigs could any more similar. I've been looking into the AMD Phenom II 965, with an Asus 890FX board. I also have a 002 rack and will be running Windows 7 Ultimate.
It seems most of the info I have found concerning using AMD with PT is antiquated. The only reason I am hesitating to buy an intel CPU is price, I'm really stretching it as it is budget-wise. The fact that the AMD black edition is unlocked, and can be OC'd to 4.0GHz on air appeals to the gamer in me as well.

If i can't find any success stories with this CPU/chipset, I'll probably just bite and go for the i5 2.66 Lynnfield.
Priority is running Pro tools LE smoothly, I don't need any more headaches with this software, I've had my share already.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:20 PM

Default Any AMD users in here???

I'm also wondering why I'm seeing very little regarding AMD builds on here.

6 years ago I took a leap of faith and built an AMD system. Not sure it was supported then, and I can't find a document in the forum that declares whether AMD is supported now or not. Anyway, my AMD machine has performed flawlessly for 6 years, but it's still on PT 6.4. Now, I want to upgrade, and my computer is starting to falter. Time to upgrade!

However, the comparable Intel CPUs are markedly more expensive than the AMDs, and I'm poor, so I'm wondering what success stories can be found on here with AMD CPUs.

Give us your AMD stories, please!!