Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 05-22-2005, 03:43 PM

Default So ProTools is mathmatically wrong.

So i was calibrating my Presonus Central Station Before, So you can download the 1k -18dbfs wav off there website or you can create ur own using the Signal Generator and making it -18db.

So i created a mono audio track and a stereo Master Fader, I set the MasterFader so i can read where the signal is Peaking. and put the signal Generator on the Audio Track and set it to -18.
And i left both of the Faders at 0. And when the signal generator was putting out -18 the masterfader was peaking something like -20.3 (when it should of read -18!!!) so what i had to do was set the Signal Generator to like -15.something in order to get the master fader to read -18. then i put a compressor after the generator and turned the threshold up and the ratio down so that it would not compress at all, then turned up the output gain so that when the Audio track fader was at 0 the master fader would just hit 0 and clip. i then would turn down the audio track fader for the point where i need to calibrate the central station, then when i raise the Audio track both PT and the CS should both clip at the same time or the CS should clip just a hair before PT.

So then for some reason, sometimes the Right meter on the CS would clip, then i would turn the audio track up another .1 db and then they would both be clipping and then sometime's the opposite with the Left clipping first. Now I dont know if that has something to do with Pro Tools or if it has something to do with the CS. I tried differnt cable's to see if it was a cable and it still did the same thing, but i'm not going to worry about it too much because i should not have my mixes that loud anyway, they should be at the point where there just slightly going into the yellow on the CS.
Old 05-22-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Re: So ProTools is mathmatically wrong.

Try doing it with a mono master fader. The math isn't wrong. You are merely encountering what is called "pan-law". To do the topic an injustice, I'll briefly describe it as this: attenuating a center panned signal. All consoles today do this to varying degrees. It is part of the design. Iirc, pro tool's pan-law is -2.5 dB at center.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:25 PM

Default Re: So ProTools is mathmatically wrong.

well you are correct on that one. =)