Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 07-03-2019, 01:28 AM

Default presets in protools wrong behavior

bought a new mac and it comes and only can run mojave 10.14.5,

im still in pro tools 12.7.1 and I was going to update until I saw what avid decided to do in july 1 so... ill stay in 12 until I find another girl for me...

anyone found a workaround for presets nor working as expected?
when pressing plus and minus buttons in protools they just go wherever they want... a real pain in the arse to be sincere.

Last edited by EdwardG; 07-03-2019 at 06:14 AM.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:58 AM

Default Re: presets in protools wrong behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardG View Post
bought a new mac and it comes and only can run mojave 10.14.5,

im still in pro tools 12.7.1 and I was going to update until I saw what avid decided to do in june 1 so... ill stay in 12 until i found another girl for me...

anyone found a workaround for presets nor working as expected?
when pressing plus and minus buttons in protools they just go wherever they want... a real pain in the arse to be sincere.
What do you expect for running a combo of PT and OSX that are not compatible? What presets are you talking about? Maybe you could explain better what that second sentence means.

QAPLA!
Old 07-03-2019, 06:13 AM

Expected, I expected everything... that's why I'm not arguing about it and searching for fixes or workarounds.

anyway what I meant was, that in pro tools the plus and minus buttons used to circle through presets don't work in the expected manner and they just jump from preset to preset in a weird behavior... not following the numeral or alphabetical order.

I found the answer as to why it does so and it is because of the APFS sistem file that my new mac comes with.
so as my version of pro tools is not prepared for this file system, this is how is gonna be for now...

cheers
Old 07-03-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Expected, I expected everything... that's why I'm not arguing about it and searching for fixes or workarounds.

anyway what I meant was, that in pro tools the plus and minus buttons used to circle through presets don't work in the expected manner and they just jump from preset to preset in a weird behavior... not following the numeral or alphabetical order.

I found the answer as to why it does so and it is because of the APFS sistem file that my new mac comes with.
so as my version of pro tools is not prepared for this file system, this is how is gonna be for now...

cheers
The only fix is to upgrade your setup to a proper compatible system. You still haven't said what these presets are that you're talking about. Presets for what exactly? How hard is it to answer that question?

QAPLA!
Old 07-04-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:

cheers
Hi friend from 2019.5 and on you got a fully soported 10.14.5 . Working great btw ! Just as musicman said yo might need to upgrade to the supported PT version for 10.14.5 otherway you might expect anything . There is one chance the can run fine but who's gonna say and support that ?

Also you didn't explain a lot about your issue .
Old 07-04-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeam25 View Post
Hi friend from 2019.5 and on you got a fully soported 10.14.5 . Working great btw ! Just as musicman said yo might need to upgrade to the supported PT version for 10.14.5 otherway you might expect anything . There is one chance the can run fine but who's gonna say and support that ?

Also you didn't explain a lot about your issue .
Yeah - he keeps saying the preset changing doesn't work right but what presets? I'm thinking the poster might be working with an online translation utility and as we all know they don't always get idioms translated correctly.

As an example of running a non-compatible combo of PT and OSX - I'm running PT 11.3.2 on Sierra OSX 10.12.6. No way according to the compatibility chart should that work but it does. There's one well known hiccup and that's that to import audio you have to do drag & drop from Finder and not via the import audio menu command. When you do such things you have to be aware that there will be issues and how to deal with them if one can. But being the op is on Mojave his only remedy is to upgrade to PT 2019.5 (6).

QAPLA!
Old 07-04-2019, 12:38 PM

Exactly !
Old 07-04-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
The only fix is to upgrade your setup to a proper compatible system. You still haven't said what these presets are that you're talking about. Presets for what exactly? How hard is it to answer that question?
Ive been living in UK for some years now, so no, no google translate needed here...

that was rude m8, seems like you don't/can't understand me, don't blame you its a very weird thing to happen actually, Ive already explained it very nicely but there we go again with a more detailed explanation.

when you open any plugin, what you see is that there's is a PRESET ''section'' above the plugin itself, in that section there is a ''preset name'' box that you can click and it ''pops out'' a LIST.
Below that ''box'' there is a PLUS AND MINOR buttons.
well, because APFS in mac os x returns information in form of hash weight instead of numeric or alphabetic, my version of protools cant work with this kind of data, instead of going from preset 01 to preset 02 when clicking the plus button, what it does is jump to another preset like 43 etc.

I suppose the current version of protools is designed to work with APFS and thats ok,
but that is not a fix for me, after 15 years working with Pro tools I'm fed with avid so no, Im not giving them any of my money anymore.

when I find a system that works perfectly I maintain it for as long as I can, I do orchestral work now and needed a 64 ram 18 core mac, so yep... time to meddle in things like described.

And yes I fixed it by going back to HFS, now presets work as intended etc

when I find me some time Im thinking of going full time DP and also look into logic (thou maybe im too old to learn another daw from scratch)
anyway after many test all its rock solid and perfectly working

thank you for your time, and my apologies if the way I express myself looks that bad,
I feel very sorry that my English was that utterly useless to you, have a nice one.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Ive been living in UK for some years now, so no, no google translate needed here...

that was rude m8, seems like you don't/can't understand me, don't blame you its a very weird thing to happen actually, Ive already explained it very nicely but there we go again with a more detailed explanation.

when you open any plugin, what you see is that there's is a PRESET ''section'' above the plugin itself, in that section there is a ''preset name'' box that you can click and it ''pops out'' a LIST.
Below that ''box'' there is a PLUS AND MINOR buttons.
well, because APFS in mac os x returns information in form of hash weight instead of numeric or alphabetic, my version of protools cant work with this kind of data, instead of going from preset 01 to preset 02 when clicking the plus button, what it does is jump to another preset like 43 etc.

I suppose the current version of protools is designed to work with APFS and thats ok,
but that is not a fix for me, after 15 years working with Pro tools I'm fed with avid so no, Im not giving them any of my money anymore.

when I find a system that works perfectly I maintain it for as long as I can, I do orchestral work now and needed a 64 ram 18 core mac, so yep... time to meddle in things like described.

And yes I fixed it by going back to HFS, now presets work as intended etc

when I find me some time Im thinking of going full time DP and also look into logic (thou maybe im too old to learn another daw from scratch)
anyway after many test all its rock solid and perfectly working

thank you for your time, and my apologies if the way I express myself looks that bad,
I feel very sorry that my English was that utterly useless to you, have a nice one.
The problem I had was you never said until just now exactly what presets you were talking about even after I asked repeatedly what presets you were talking about. You didn't say it was for plugins. And as for plugins what you use to increment/decrement presets depends on the plugin. Some have their own preset changing mechanism and don't use the PT system. Depends on the developer.

As for going to DP - unless you're masochistic don't do it. I picked up DP when Avid started the subscription business way back when. Was that ever a mistake. They don't have true instrument tracks like PT has. The fonts used are really small. The consolidated window is a cluttered mess.

I made the mention of using an online translation program because you were not explaining yourself clearly as to what exactly you were referring to.

QAPLA!