Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2013, 09:33 AM

Default Re: Issues oh how I hate issues.

No one ever can record with PT on a Laptop without a dongled HD?

No one?
Old 02-22-2013, 09:37 AM

Oh, make no mistake, I'm a musician at a fairly high level. I also TEACH music production on Pro Tools systems every day. The learning curve is steep, yes. My first few PT sessions (coming from SAW Pro. You want ODD???) gave me a headache. Now I can do this in my sleep. Probably have once or twice!
Most of us making a living with PT came from a linear recording background, and this program actually has put a very familiar architecture in the box. So our workflow from a PROFESSIONAL standpoint is as intuitive as it gets, once one takes the time to really learn the program.
Reaper, Cubase, Audition....good HOBBYIST programs, place very little demand on the computer, because they just don't do all that much. And for some people, that's just the path of least resistance. BUT I have students come from those particular backgrounds, and at the end of the semester, once they've learned how and why this works the way it does, every one of them says this is the only way to fly, and everything else looks like a toy by comparison.
Well, that's my 2 cents worth, although it looks more like a buck and a half. Stay the course with this thing and you won't be sorry.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:55 AM

Well that is your opinion. And of course when you use something for so long and get use to it you are going to think that its work flow is better. And don't mistake me for a hobbyist. Sure I don't know much about recording but I have classical training and have made tons of compositions both classical and otherwise. Again good mic, audio device, and computer (which I agree i do need) and it doesn't matter if you're using cubase, reaper, or whatever. When comes to a DAW in my opinion its about how easy it is to use and how versatile it can be. Pro Tools can't even use VST's without a rewire or that Fx thing. That already makes it less versatile unless you have a really powerful computer.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:11 AM

Yeah, as I said, that's my 2 cents worth. Classical music training doesn't qualify anyone as a recording engineer. They're two different animals. But I agree that you should use whatever you're comfortable with. Even if it has severe limitations.
The original topic of this discussion was "why doesn't it work." And we told you why it doesn't work. That doesn't make it a bad program. Most RECORDING professionals find it the only way to go.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:14 AM

tell me then, what can pro tools do that reaper can't?
Old 02-22-2013, 10:16 AM

That's WAY beyond the scope of a forum post. Come out here and take my class....
Old 02-22-2013, 10:18 AM

Give me just one example.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by def3mno62 View Post
tell me then, what can pro tools do that reaper can't?
If Reaper works best for you, then use it. This is a Pro Tools forum, so you're going to get info about Pro Tools. Most of us like and use Pro Tools for whatever reason, and many of us use it to make a living . Pro Tools is a complex program that has very specific hardware and software requirements, and you should expect to spend a good bit of time learning it. Personally, I hate learning new programs - I'm going through it right now with Digital Performer, but the more you use it the easier it gets. I'm still learning features of Pro Tools that I wasn't aware of, but I find it very logical for recording and mixing audio. Just some things to consider and good luck with whichever DAW you choose.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 02-22-2013, 10:26 AM

128 tracks even on the basic system. 128 aux busses. Automatable EVERYTHING: levels, pans, solos, mutes, sends (even plugin parameters, right down to the last detail.) Oh, sorry, that's three.
And thanks cwsand, couldn't have said it better!
Old 02-22-2013, 10:41 AM

Reaper can do all of what you just mentioned. Unless google is lying to me. just to be clear I'm not pitting reaper against pro tools to try and prove something I am simple trying to see a reason why I wouldn't want to get a refund. And with the information I've been provided so far I'm just not seeing it.