Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2004, 11:02 AM

Default asking explanation and recommended settings for

OK, I looked in the DUC, the answerbase and Pro tools' manual...but I can get no...satisfaction...

So, can someone please give me a technical explanation for these playback engine settings?

-H/W buffer size
As I understand, it's related to RTAS processing. Most of the sw instruments are RTAS, and I noticed that latency increases as I increase this value. So, what's wrong with keeping it very low? Will I lose poliphony? Will I crash my machine? Lose plug-in count? Anything else I'm missing? What's the recommended setting for a G4 dual 1,25 running Panther?

-CPU usage limit
this is very obscure to me. I've read that for dual processing CPUs I should keep it at 99%. The thing I don't understand is: what is included in this 99%? Graphics? RTAS processing? Mac OS routines such as handling hard drives, MIDI and all the rest?
Problem: when I scroll vertically with the mouse wheel (Logitech MX500) while playing back a session, the graphics is very slow. Should I put MORE cpu limit or LESS?
Again, What's the recommended setting for a G4 dual 1,25 running Panther (but I think I know this)?

-Playback engine
This is impossible.
"you are married to Angelina Jolie. What do you want her to look like when she's in bed with you?
a) your dog (1DSP)
b) Eminem after a party (2DSP)
c) Liz taylor (3DSP)
d) Tina Turner (4DSP, 96 voices)
d) Angelina jolie (4DSP, 128 voices)"

OF COURSE I WANT E! Why should I use half of the DSP I've payed for?!? Unless I gain something...but what?
Just a question (copy/paste): what's the recommended setting for a G4 dual 1,25 running Panther?

-Last question: what's the recommended settings for my 28 years old brain to understand all this ?
Old 05-26-2004, 03:05 AM

Default Re: asking explanation and recommended settings for

Hey...I thought this would be of some interest for everybody!!!

I'll give it a bump. Anybody listening at digi???
Old 05-26-2004, 07:29 AM

Default Re: asking explanation and recommended settings for

This questions have been previously covered here but I thought that it might help some more people to have it all over again.
If you can remember the past thread please post it here.
Thanks.
btw, option#3-Liz Taylor is enough for me, with or without DSPs.