Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2018, 08:49 PM
Sounds In Sync

Default New demo video showing how to "reversion" the finished mix of a TV or Film production

As the creator of EdiLoad I've been asked several times over the years for help with jobs where a client has wanted to use EdiLoad to re-cut a finished mix to create a new delivery version of a TV show or film. I call this process "reversioning". This task can be performed in a number of ways, depending on how the picture editor creates the new delivery version.

To help, I've created the demo video below, which shows how the completed mixes of 12 TV episodes can be recut to create the soundtrack of a feature film length version. The video not only shows how you re-cut your Pro Tools session with EdiLoad, but what you need to supply your picture editor in order to perform this task in the most efficient manner.

This reversioning process is in some ways a combination of two processes that EdiLoad can perform:
  • Conforming (assembling) location WAV files to match the audio edits in an AAF. This uses a single audio EDL.
  • Re-conforming a Pro Tools sessions to match an updated picture. This uses two video EDLs which EdiLoad compares.
The reversioning process that is shown in the video uses a single audio EDL, but here individual tracks of the EDL are selected and used to re-conform a Pro Tools session. This is achieved with EdiLoad's unique ability to show events for a particular EDL track and allows sound editors to replicate the audio edits made by a picture editor when they have used individual stems to create the sound edit of the new delivery version.

Demo video (click to play in new window):

I hope this helps the next time you need to reversion a completed mix.

Regards,

Mark
www.soundsinsync.com