Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-03-2007, 04:48 PM

Default Loop problem

Hi,

I have a problem with pro tools LE on a mini mac OSX 10.4.9
Mini mac is single core and has 2 GB ram.

I use this mac mini for an Art instalation.

let me explain;

An artist made a huge cloud of spinnaker. It's blown up with air by a ventilator. There are 32 TL's in it and near the installation there are some speakers.

The vent and TL's are on a dimmer pack witch is controlled by a LanBox. This lanbox controlls the dimmer via DMX and sends cue's. The cue's are for the TL and vent. It tells them when to dim light and when to stop and start the vent.
The effect is a breathing cloud witch light's up and go light's out, in combination with audio.

for a small picture -> http://www.brabantsdagblad.nl/regios...cle1238077.ece

Now here is the point.

I made 1 stereo loop of 16 seconds in pro tools and i command the cue's of the lanbox via midi.
this are some controller numbers for executing the cue's in the lanbox to control the light and fan.

BUT, after 2.5 hours (more or less), pro tools is hanging and give an error;

A CPU overload error occured. If this happend often, try increase the H/W Buffer Size” in the Playback Engine Dialog or remove some plug-ins (-6101)

and

CPU usage is holding off audio. Remove some plug-ins, delete some tracks, or increase the H/W buffer Size in the Playback Engine Dialog (-6104)

Well the buffer size is at his top 2048.

Why does pro tools do this? I also used digidesign advise of disable spotlight etc.
I don't get it. There is enough CPU power to loop this and pro tools still crashes.

Who can give me an answer?

Pro tools LE 7.1.1.
intel mini mac OSX 10.4.9
2 GB ram
MBOX 2

thanx in advance.

M.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Loop problem

I have a very similar problem. I'm just getting started using "Strike". I'll have it running and I'll record maybe a bass line or guitar part and I'll get the 6101 message (CPU overload). Seeing as how I'm running a brand new Dou Core 2 iMac I find this difficult to swallow. I'm using an external firewire hard drive, Pro Tools 7.3.1 on OSX 10.4.9. Any help is appreciated.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:50 AM

Default Re: Loop problem

I don't think you wantto run your buffer so high unless you have many tracks/plug-ins going. It sounds like something is occasionally causing your CPU to spike.

Are your energy savings prefs turned off, screen saver, etc? Maybe you could open an instance of Console from the Utilities menu to watch the activity log.

Sorry - it is hard to diagnose without getting in there. BTW, your installation looks very cool! Good luck.
High Rock Records & Studio
NYC

http://highrockrecords.com