Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 03-11-2020, 04:21 AM

Default Phantom powering a pedalboard via MIDI cable

Hey, i have BJdevices TB12 midi pedal, and i want to power it via MIDI cable. Old owner said the pedal worked fine with phantom power of axe fx, the cable is like 5/5pin, and 5/7 pins.
As how i see this, the 7pin had it's place on FX, and pedal got powered. Well, 11r doesn't have this option. What i'm about to do is use Midi out of pedalboard into 11r midi in like normal, and power the pedalboard via it's midi in because 11r and this device doesn't communicate two-way. So, i'm about to get a female plug for 7-pin, and feed 9 voltages into outer pins. I checked the outer pins of 7pin plug are connected into 5-pin end's outer pins.
Main question is, can i burn the 11r? Since, the both midi out and midi in support phantom power in pedalboard, so doesn't this mean the phantom power gets routed back into 11r via the outer pins? The user's manual doesn't have anything about this. Thanks in advance, hopefully you understand what i try to explain.

EDIT Long story short i want to power my pedalboard via 7pin plug, into pedal MIDI IN, MIDI OUT of 11r isn't in use at all. Does pedalboards MIDI OUT route the same voltage into 11r's MIDI IN and am i able to burn the device? Basically if i solder the outer pins off from the cable that is connected between pedal MIDI OUT and 11r MIDI IN, this shouldn't happen. But i cannot find info on what 11r midi outer pins are for, are they unused or do they use data

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...roller.101177/ Here it's said the fx gives 9volts(and i'm about to use DC no idea why that guy uses AC)

https://bjdevices.com/manuals/manualtb12_en.pdf Here's the powering of pedalboard explained at page 9

EDIT2 I searched info on a Standard midi connector and yes OUTER PINS ARE NOT CONNECTED 11r cannot differ on that.

EDIT3, Seems i cannot power the TB12 via it's MIDI IN, so gotta make a cable that utilizes MIDI OUT. Thought i'd get usage for the 2-way cable but apparently cannot do that.

Last edited by Att1Tude; 03-11-2020 at 05:30 AM.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:12 AM

Default Re: Phantom powering a pedalboard via MIDI cable

I have this cable:
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Rocktro...-MIDI-Cable.gc

Instead of the pedal's power adaptor on the floor with your foot controller, the power adaptor sits beside the 11R in your rack's power conditioner and sends power down the MIDI cable to your floor control.

edit (for below)
ahhhhh....my bad.

Last edited by stormstudios; 03-12-2020 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:14 AM

Yea i would use that but i think i forgot to mention there's only 5pin MIDI's on tb12
Old 03-26-2020, 11:41 AM

the eleven will not power your board via midi. it's not set up for that. sorry.