Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2023, 04:09 AM

Default Re: License Disappeared

Definitely a perpetual license. This has nothing to do with a subscription.

Let me put it a different way and rephrase so that hopefully someone at AVID can clarify:

When we reinstate an expired perpetual license's update and support plan, do we get to keep the old perpetual license at the version that the update and support plan lapsed in addition to getting the new perpetual license? Or not?

Previously I was allowed to keep and use the older license and it was "archived" in my account.

I have FOUR perpetual licenses in my Avid account, yet only THREE in iLok license manager. As I said, when I dragged the new perpetual license from the 'available' tab onto the iLok after redeeming the code from Sweetwater, the pre-existing perpetual license DISAPPEARED from that iLok. There was no warning, no "surrender" request, NOTHING. Just vapourised.

I don't quite know how to explain any clearer than this. May someone from AVID please clarify? Has this policy since changed?

In the attached screenshots, we can see there are only 3 licenses in iLok, there are supposed to be four (unless I am mistaken and AVID has changed their policy on archived licenses?) We can also see the four perpetual licenses listed in AVID Link. I am missing the one that lapsed on 2020/03/30.

Case number 04659443
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 13.11.38.png (32.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 13.13.30.jpg (22.6 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Audiomatrix; 07-31-2023 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Adding case number.
Old 07-31-2023, 05:01 AM

Default License Disappeared

No. That’s not how it works nor has it ever been.

Your perpetual license lasts forever but you will only have access to the latest version (or prior) that was current when your update and support plan lapsed. So for example, if you’re plan lapsed in June, you can continue to run PT for as long as you wish but you’ll only be able to use up to v2023.6. Any subsequent versions will not work but older versions will continue to function in perpetuity.

If you renew your update and support plan, you will now have 12 months worth of updates available to you and older versions will continue to run as well. But, you DO NOT get additional iLok assets/licenses. It is still only the one you originally had.

If you want multiple licenses available so that you can run PT on multiple machines simultaneously, you need to buy an additional full license which unless something has changed recently, are no longer available. New users only have the option to buy subscription plans now.

Does that clear it up?

Your image shows multiple licenses with a pretty wide ranging date between them. They are seperate full licenses. If the fourth license isn’t showing, are you sure it’s not in your iLok account but just not synced with a physical iLok?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2023, 05:18 AM

Hi there

I posted screenshots (edited the post, they should be there now). The last time I reinstated a lapsed perpetual license (i.e. "get current") they archived the pre-existing perpetual license in my Avid account and I was able to KEEP the iLok asset and use that license up to the relevant version number, in addition to the renewed one.

So:

- iLok "A" has lapsed license on it. Everything fine.

- Drag new license deposit from "available" onto iLok, lapsed license goes byebye (?!) into thin air.

I am definitely not a newbie in this rodeo.

Another interesting one: In my Avid account there is a "Perpetual product" Pro Tools Studio listed under cancelled and expired subscriptions. This does not make any sense whatsoever.

I will post all the screenshots here again, in addition to the screenshot of my product list in my Avid account. There are clearly FOUR licenses, yet there are only THREE in the iLok account.
Old 07-31-2023, 06:58 AM

I would contact support. You have two licenses that are current. You have support available.
Old 07-31-2023, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
I would contact support. You have two licenses that are current. You have support available.
That's what I've been thinking and Sardi sort of confirmed.

QAPLA!
Old 07-31-2023, 08:55 AM

Hi. I opened a support case before posting here. Number 04659443. On standby for their response.

Have a great day all!
Old 07-31-2023, 09:58 AM
Avid

Hi! We actually had that process before where when a license was crossgrade to subscription or upgrade a perpetual license, the previous license was being tagged as archive, it says in your iLok account, but you won't be able to use it again for another upgrade or crossgrade. It cause a lot of confusion and with that, we move forward on fully surrendering an old license when doing an upgrade.

Charles
Old 07-31-2023, 11:23 AM

Hi Charles

Thank you for clarifying. I will purchase another code from Sweetwater and reinstate another expired license. It will only be used up to 2019.12 on an old mac so I was hoping to be able to keep using the archived one.

Thank you for your time.
Old 07-31-2023, 11:26 AM
Avid

You're welcome! I actually got a chance to check your account, the archive one, you can use it to run 2019.12, but it can't be used as an upgrade path anymore, but I saw that you still have an old Pro Tools 11 license and that what's you can use as an upgrade path.

Charles