Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2000, 08:14 AM

Default What does a DAE -43 error mean?

That's it. That one question. What does a DAE -43 mean? How to correct the problem which appears whenever I try to open a session I've duplicated onto an external hard drive...and which now appears in the session duplicated back onto the hard drive of my computer. The session originally played perfectly on the hard drive.

Many thanks,

Christopher B.
Old 05-03-2000, 10:12 PM

Default Re: What does a DAE -43 error mean?

Allow me to hazard an answer to my own question based on research elsewhere. -43 is a Macintosh system error that can be resolved by restarting the computer and/or rebuilding the desktop. If anyone else has more information that would be great. Otherwise, end of story for the moment.
Old 05-04-2000, 09:03 PM

It is my understanding that -43 error is a mac error when the mac has exceeded the number of files it can have open at one time. I believe that it is somewhere around 300 files. This includes all files needed to run all software etc. So for example, if all you have open is Protools, then it would include the Protools application, DAE engince etc. -- PLUS all files in session, including fade files. So if you have even a small session, 300 files can get used up rather quickly.

From my understanding this can be remidied by using the right combination of hardware and software. For example, this is problem for Audiomedia 3 users, but not Protools 24 users becuase somehow PT3 and PT24 hardware remidies the siuation. This is also a Problem with Mac OS below 9, so you could remidy it by upgrading to OS9, but then some versions of hardware and software don't work. I also understand that this is remidied by PT 5.0, but again you officially cannot use 5.0 without OS9 , and you cannot use 5.0 with Audiomedia card, etc, etc. My head is spinning.

I hope that explains it. I may not be 100 percent accurate - but the general concept is correct.

Good luck,

Mike
(323) 851-0299
[email protected]
www.tfpost.com
Old 05-05-2000, 04:20 AM

Mike
You say that PT5 is for OS9 only. Well i'm running PT5 on OS8.1, It is so far the most stable OS I have run. PT5 seems to run great with it.
DC