Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2000, 04:26 AM

Default A little off topic: Why isn\'t \"The Phantom Menace\" out on DVD? Damnit!!

In case anyone important from Lucas Film or Skywalker Sound ever browses around here: I think it really sucks that the Phantom Menace hasn't been released on DVD. The widescreen VHS resolution is terrible. VHS blows! Gimme my Star Wars on DVD!!!

Okay...back to Pro Tools topics...
Old 04-10-2000, 04:53 AM

Default Re: A little off topic: Why isn\'t \"The Phantom Menace\" out on DVD? Damnit!!

Remember 'Titanic'? Marketing strategy 101:

VHS -> LD -> DVD

So curious people buy multiple release. Just be patient. They'll available soon or later.

Mac Studio Max M2 (2023), 32GB RAM, Ventura 13.6.4, PT Ultimate 2023.12.1, Sonnet TB2 III-D, Avid HDX 2, Sync X, MTRX Studio, Trinnov D-Mon, JBL 708P, 705P & JBL 3635 (Atmos HE 7.1.4)
Old 04-11-2000, 09:49 AM

Default Re: A little off topic: Why isn\'t \"The Phantom Menace\" out on DVD? Damnit!!

I heard thru "UN" reliable sources that Mr. Lucas wants to wait to release all three new episodes on DVD simultaneously! Marketing strategy. Great collectors item - if you want one episode, you have to buy all three! $$$ Smart man. Disagree with the way he does things inthis case cause I also would just love to have episode #1 on DVD in 5.1
Oh well, we'll just have to wait, I ain't buying it on VHS (yark!)
Cheers

------------------
Ray Fabi
Ton of Bricks Studios Montreal
514-990-2713
514-990-2713
www.fabi.com
Old 04-14-2000, 01:35 PM

Nope,

Lucas is THX + DVD is not THX = unhappy Lucas

Maybe Someday they'll stop squabbling and we will get all those great movies on DVD!

[This message has been edited by ProTool1 (edited April 14, 2000).]
Old 04-14-2000, 04:15 PM

correct on both. money and lack of THX quality are both reasons why there is no dvd. but with 100 million in sales on the FIRST DAY! Hell they dont need dvd. I reccomend the sony playstsation games!!! In fact after playin the adventure one ( I forget the name) im begining to think the made the game first to get it right, and then shot it on film!! The podracer game is pretty cool too. Cant wait for playstation II (5:1 sound yipee!!!)

IMHO the games are way better than the complete waste of celluloid the 'film' was. they might as well have shot it on DV cam!

I'm got my ear to the ground for more rumors pertaining Jet Li being cast as bobbafet (spelling?) in episode II!!! or in Matrix II since they left his scene in Matrix on the cutting room floor

speaking of Jet Li ( and to bring this back to pro tools, sorry ) ALL the music for his awesome new movie Romeo Must Die as was played back off a 24 bit Pro Tools system for the final mix. Of course it went digitally to a Neve Digital film console for the final mix but.......

matt
Old 05-03-2000, 07:14 AM

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,36040,00.html
Old 05-03-2000, 08:49 AM

Lucas doesn't want you to have digital copies of his Star Wars movies.
/paul
Old 05-04-2000, 12:43 AM

Hey Doc..where U been...have not seen many posts from U for a while...is the system running that good or are there too many amateurs on the BB these days...I can dig it.
Old 05-05-2000, 04:12 PM

simple, lucus and and his THX are 7.1 souround sound, dvd only supports 5.1. I'd hate to say never but, don't expect to see any Lucas stuff on DVD.