Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2008, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Adding another 888/24 to mix plus system

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonehenge View Post
Carbon Filter - Do you have Slave Clock Out from the first 888 connected to Slave Clock In on the second 888?

Powercage 9000 - Do you have the Slave Clock connection, as well as a TDM cable connecting the MIX Core and Farm cards (inside the computer)?

I know its been forever since i have posted but no the problem has not been fixed. I have a new HD system I work off of currently though. Yes they are clocked together. Definitely not a bad cable or interface because I have switched both out and they work ust fine seperate but not together. The second interface will not come out of stand alone mode upon start up. Any more ideas?
Old 10-15-2008, 10:54 AM

Question Re: Adding another 888/24 to mix plus system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Filter View Post
...Yes they are clocked together. Definitely not a bad cable or interface because I have switched both out and they work ust fine seperate but not together. The second interface will not come out of stand alone mode upon start up. Any more ideas?
Have you tried swapping the interfaces to see if it follows one of them? Does DigiTest reveal any problems?
Old 10-15-2008, 10:56 AM

Post Re: Adding another 888/24 to mix plus system

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundblaster View Post
You will need a SYNC to have a common word clock for the additional 888s. The SYNC will send a common time signal. The way you connect is use the BNC from the SYNC clock out and daisy chain the other 888s- from out to in on the next 888.
I think SYNC is for HD and USD is for MIX. Connecting the (256x) superclock from interface A to B should be enough as far as clocking.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:00 AM

Question Re: Adding another 888/24 to mix plus system

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstarj9 View Post
six 888 interfaces all connected to the Mac with 3 mix cards (1 core card and 2 farm cards). The last two interfaces have a loud solid pink noise coming through that I can't isolate. I tried switching the cards around to see if that was the problem, but all that happens is there is no signal coming through when I put an instrument in, and the VU's keep jumping randomly on all the channels with no actual sound coming out.
  1. Have you swapped interfaces around as well? Swap 1 and 6 to see if it follows the interface.
  2. What kind of TDM ribbon cable do you have? Might try connecting different nodes to the cards.
  3. Do you have superclock out from 1 to in on 2, etc? Tried swapping these cables?
  4. Tried running DigiTest?
Old 10-24-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonehenge View Post
Have you tried swapping the interfaces to see if it follows one of them? Does DigiTest reveal any problems?

Yes I have stonehenge and the other interface works fine by its self. Like I said the problem seems to be on start up the interfaces stay in stand alone mode and will not come out...therefore pro tools will not start up. And yes it is clocked out of 1st into second interface. All hardware setting look like they should. I also run an HD 3 PCIe rig on a new mac pro so I am pretty familiar with Pro Tools and have been running this TDM system rock solid for 7 years off of 1 interface.

To sum it up...the system runs and recognizes one interface fine and comes out of stand alone upon start up but once you make the hardware configuration for (2) interfaces, shutdown down computer, rehook 2 interfaces; (A) first then (B) second with Y Cable from Digidesign, boot up, the ANALOG 1-2 stays blinking (stand alone mode) on both interfaces all the way until the desktop appears. Then obviously you try to start protools and its says it can not see interfaces. Anymore ideas? Sequence of configuring?
Old 10-24-2008, 02:13 PM

Oh and DigiTest runs fine
Old 10-24-2008, 02:28 PM
Avid

Are you turning on the interfaces first, before booting up the computer?

If you do an 'identify' in the hardware setup dialog (when the units first work), does it identify the proper interface?

Could you possibly post a screenshot of your hardware setup window, so we can see if something there may clue us in to what's going wrong?
Old 10-25-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
I think SYNC is for HD and USD is for MIX. Connecting the (256x) superclock from interface A to B should be enough as far as clocking
This is correct. You do NOT need a sync box to use multiple interfaces on the same system, just daisy chain slave clock for all interfaces. There are wiring diagrams in the pro tools setup manuals that explain this in detail. I believe they can still be found on the technical document archive area of digidesign.com.

SYNC, USD or the like are only useful if you are syncing multiple systems... i.e 2 or more computers, a digital console, an ADAT deck, video equipment, etc.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Are you turning on the interfaces first, before booting up the computer?

If you do an 'identify' in the hardware setup dialog (when the units first work), does it identify the proper interface?

Could you possibly post a screenshot of your hardware setup window, so we can see if something there may clue us in to what's going wrong?

After making the necessary changes in hardware setup in control panels...
I shut down computer and hook the interface up like I described in the post before.
Before I start the computer...
1) turn my scsi drive on
2)turn 1st interface (888/24) on and wait for it to fully come up
3)turn 2nd interface(888/24) on and it clocks no problem to first 888
4) turn computer on
5) Interfaces stay in stand alone all the way up until the desktop appears.
6) pro tools wont open.

The cables for both interfaces are brand new from Digidesign and the Y cable is brand new as well. How do you take a screen shot? I have never had to do that. And yes when I click on both A and B in Hardware setup its give me my options for selecting interfaces and the 888/24 IO comes up as an option.

Should I make the necessary changes in hardware set up first with out anything connected to the core card? Does that matter? I know this is not brain surgery so its kind of confusing that I am having this problem

Best Regards,

David Arnold
Old 10-27-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
How do you take a screen shot? I have never had to do that.
Hold down Shift-Apple-3 simultaneously, it will take a screenshot of the entire desktop.

Shift-Apple-4 will take a screenshot of a boxed area you determine by clicking and dragging.