Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2003, 10:56 AM

Default A Midi question for a Guru

I have a live (free tempo) track (drums,bass,etc). I then did some midi tracks. Now I want to identify beats but the midi notes are following the new grid. Is there a way to disable midi notes while identifing the beats so the midi doesn't get screwy?

I'm thinking I have to play the midi out to a sequencer and then play it back in after the grid changes, but if someone know better please help!!!
Old 02-22-2003, 03:21 PM

Default Re: A Midi question for a Guru

anyone?
Old 02-22-2003, 03:46 PM

That's a great question. It probably can't be done. I don't have a session open right now, but try this (it's a longshot) :

put the midi track into "regions" viewing mode. Then see if you can lock this region. MAYBE.

Your idea of using an external sequencer will only work if you DON't lack the sequencer to PT. If you do that you are likely to get a little drift, as no two computer crystals are exactly the same.

-Maybe it would work if you use midi beat-clock instead of mtc.
Old 02-22-2003, 04:10 PM

you can export the midi to midi file and then load it into another sequencer locked to PT.
I assume you saved a version before you identified any beats. It does have to be locked
w mtc or beat clock. There may be an offset due to passing thru another interface and computer (a slight delay) I've done this a lot.
If your beat map in PT is tight you can quantize the midi to it once it's recorded in. ( unless quantizing is against your principles...)