Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2006, 07:15 PM

Default Outrageous Plug Ins Prices

Is it just me or are the prices of some, if not all, of these plug ins are outrageous? I mean, it seems like the every effect I look at is in the $495 price range. I don't have the kind of money to spend. I am sure Bob Rock, Mutt Lange and other recording gurus have the dough, but what about the Average Joe, like myself and probably most of us on this board...we cannot afford that.

Now, I know about the argument that software is so outrageously priced due to scumbags downloading them off of Bit Torrent, etc, but why in the hell should I and others who don't download illegally be the ones who suffer and pay for it?

If Digidesign and others would price these products more reasonably then I know speaking for myself, I would be more apt to buy some of them. But at $299-$499, forget it, they can keep 'em.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:32 PM

Default Re: Outrageous Plug Ins Prices

Why don't you just get the VST-RTAS Adapter from FXPansion for $99? Then you will have access to thousands of free VST plugins...

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 08-03-2006, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Is it just me or are the prices of some, if not all, of these plug ins are outrageous? I mean, it seems like the every effect I look at is in the $495 price range. I don't have the kind of money to spend. I am sure Bob Rock, Mutt Lange and other recording gurus have the dough, but what about the Average Joe, like myself and probably most of us on this board...we cannot afford that.

Now, I know about the argument that software is so outrageously priced due to scumbags downloading them off of Bit Torrent, etc, but why in the hell should I and others who don't download illegally be the ones who suffer and pay for it?

If Digidesign and others would price these products more reasonably then I know speaking for myself, I would be more apt to buy some of them. But at $299-$499, forget it, they can keep 'em.
the reason plugin's are so expensive (my thoughts anyway) is that back in the day (not my day ) they didn't have software, if you wanted a compressor or EQ you would have to buy a hardware piece of unit that is normally 1 or 2 channels. Now what if you wanted to use that same piece of hardware on 10 different tracks, you couldn't just apply that one piece of hardware to every insert you needed. you would have to go and buy enough pieces of hardware to use on how ever many tracks you need, where with a plugin you pay a price that is usually lower than the piece of hardware and you can apply it to as many tracks as your computer can handle.

and the only aurgument I can see on this is that the company pay's to have the plugin developed, but after you have it done you just sell copies of the same software rather than having to buy all the parts for each unit like you would need to do if you were making hardware. and after you sell enough copies of the plugin to pay off the devolopment costs, ect. your pretty much making pure profit, espicieally if you are selling it online without any packaging (just don't forget about the guy that has to sit there and work the online store, or tech support)

also digidesign and a bunch of other companies give away free plugin's that they could easily sell that sound great.
for instantces look at the Bomb Factor BF76 Compressor (the free one that comes with PT 7, or you can download it if you have PT 6) it's a great sounding compressor and it's Free!!

I probably use at least 10 in every session, now if I bought the Hardware version of that here:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1176LN/

it would cost me $1,800 and if I needed 10 for every session I would have to spend $18,000 on those compressors.

I hope this helps you understand better, if not, i dont think there is anything we are able to do to get plugin prices lowered, last thing, I'm not saying I like having to pay at least $400 for a plugin I just don't get mad about it.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:12 AM

I know you mentioned effects......but you cant beat the sound of these plugins and the price is more then fair. This is inline with what plug-in prices should be!!
http://www.masseyplugins.com/index.html

Try them all and you will see what the big boys dont want you to know!!

Peace
Eddie
Old 08-05-2006, 03:20 PM

Plug-in prices are what they are because people will pay for them. If people didn't, then the prices would be much lower. Look at Smack! and DINR, no one was really buying them, so Digi started including them in the last couple of bundles that they offered (PT 7 plus upgrade, MPTK, DVTK2, etc...). My guess is that these will soon be offered free of charge with all Protools systems.

The VST-RTAS wrapper is a must have for anyone running PT LE on a low budget. Just be carefull which VST plug-ins you use, some of them will cause stability and a performance issues. But the ones that are good, work very well. Massey's stuff is good also, and reasonably priced.

And, if you look at companies other than Digi, you can get bundles of a half dozen or so plugs for the same prices that Digi charges for one single plug-in. Waves has the Native Power Pack and McDSP has the Project Studio Bundle, both of which are reasonably priced for what you get.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 08-06-2006, 08:05 AM

Quote:
it would cost me $1,800 and if I needed 10 for every session I would have to spend $18,000 on those compressors.

But you wouldn't have to worry about your investment going down the drain every 6 months or so as you do now with every new version of Pro Tools.

The real problem is studio rates are declining. Its hard to charge enough to justify the purchase of the software/hardware necessary to do your job.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Quote:

But you wouldn't have to worry about your investment going down the drain every 6 months or so as you do now with every new version of Pro Tools.

The real problem is studio rates are declining. Its hard to charge enough to justify the purchase of the software/hardware necessary to do your job.
Absolutely.
And don't use the excuse about big compatability issues.
I can use a VST plug-in that's 6 years old (or older) if I want, without a problem.
Why do you keep having to pay for upgrades every time a new PT's version is released?
Personnally I think it's just legal robbery.

For my home stuff, I mainly use my UAD-1 plug-ins and a couple of others, that don't even need updating. They've worked fine since the day I got them.
And now I am probably goign to get a Duende when it's released for XP.
I've never been charged an upgrade for my UAD-1 plug-ins.

www.markhensley.tv
Old 08-06-2006, 12:08 PM

Another vote for Massey's stuff.