Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 10-05-2010, 01:42 AM

Default ProTools M-Powered 8.0.3 with Profire 610, Axiom Pro 61 and Alesis Mastercontrol

I use ProTools M-Powered 8.0.3 with Profire 610 and Axiom Pro 61. Now, I was thinking to expand my home studio with a mixer and recently saw Alesis MasterControl which seems like a good all in one solution. Now the big question before I decide to go with this setup.

Since ProTools requires M-Audio hardware, the question is would ProTools still work if remove Profire 610 and connect only Axiom Pro 61 via Midi to Alesis MasterControl which is then connected to PC via Firewire, or would I still need to use Profire 610 and Axiom Pro 61 (via Midi) in order to run ProTools and use Alesis Mastercontrol only as a mixer?

It's been hard to find the examples of setup with Profire 610 / Axiom Pro 61 / and other hardware i.e. Alesis MasterControl, so any suggestions and/or experiences you might have related to this particular setup would be much appreciated.

Thx,

Rico
Old 10-05-2010, 03:00 AM
Administrator

Default Re: ProTools M-Powered 8.0.3 with Profire 610, Axiom Pro 61 and Alesis Mastercontrol

Quote:
Since ProTools requires M-Audio hardware, the question is would ProTools still work if remove Profire 610 and connect only Axiom Pro 61 to Alesis MasterControl which is then connected to PC via Firewire?
Pro Tools M-Powered would still require a qualified audio interface (such as the ProFire 610) from the list on that page you linked to. The Axiom Pro is a keyboard controller, not an audio interface, and would not allow Pro Tools M-Powered to launch without having the ProFire also connected to the computer running Pro Tools M-Powered.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:16 AM

Default Re: ProTools M-Powered 8.0.3 with Profire 610, Axiom Pro 61 and Alesis Mastercontrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digidesign View Post
Pro Tools M-Powered would still require a qualified audio interface (such as the ProFire 610) from the list on that page you linked to. The Axiom Pro is a keyboard controller, not an audio interface, and would not allow Pro Tools M-Powered to launch without having the ProFire also connected to the computer running Pro Tools M-Powered.
Thx for the reply, much appreciated!
Old 10-16-2010, 08:51 AM

Hey Pallazzo,
I have a similar set up to you and i was wondering if you could help me get this thing started. My Damn Axiom 61 won't control the Pro Tools 8.0.3 M-Powered. I DL Engima and tried through that. I downloaded the ProTools XML file for preset configurations, still cant getthe Axiom to play any notes on the Keys or on any of the control knobs either. Why is this part so difficult. I can get the Sound to record on a track if i use my mouse to play the on scree "Instrument". But i know the Axiom should be controlling the screen. I need to make some music. Can u help me????
Old 11-10-2010, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veeshp24 View Post
Hey Pallazzo,
I have a similar set up to you and i was wondering if you could help me get this thing started. My Damn Axiom 61 won't control the Pro Tools 8.0.3 M-Powered. I DL Engima and tried through that. I downloaded the ProTools XML file for preset configurations, still cant getthe Axiom to play any notes on the Keys or on any of the control knobs either. Why is this part so difficult. I can get the Sound to record on a track if i use my mouse to play the on scree "Instrument". But i know the Axiom should be controlling the screen. I need to make some music. Can u help me????
Hey dude,

I'll try to help you. Here is how I did it. I don't use Enigma (available only for Axiom 61 you have) and I have PC, but I guess the configuration principle is the same. The biggest difference between Axiom Pro 61 and Axiom 61 is that Axiom Pro 61 has Hypercontrol built in which is also a part of Pro Tools version 8.0.1 and above. The Axiom Pro 61 doesn't require any driver installation and/or configuration of Axiom Pro 61 to work with Pro Tools. That made my connection of Axiom Pro 61 with Pro Tools literally 'plug and play'.

I found this on M-Audio website under support tab (for Axiom Pro 61, though), but give it a try and experiment with your Axiom 61. I believe the steps below should also work in your case. You definitely need to setup your Axiom 61 in peripherals in Pro Tools as 'Receive From' and 'Send To' in order to be able to use Virtual Instruments from Pro Tools and get your Midi signal in Pro Tools.

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...4d5a5799762eb2

HyperControl Configuration for Pro Tools 8:

1. Launch Pro Tools
2. Select "Peripherals" from the Setup menu
3. Select the "MIDI Controllers" tab from the window that appears
4. Click the first "Type" drop-down menu and select "M-Audio Keyboard"
5. Click the first "Receive From" drop-down menu and select "Axiom Pro, HyperControl In"* (in your case most likely it will say only 'Axiom 61' or something like that)
6. Click the first "Send To" drop-down menu and select "Axiom Pro HyperControl Out"* (see comment from step 5 above)
7. Make sure that "8" is selected in the "# Ch's" drop-down menu and click "OK" to close the window

* These MIDI port names will display the number of keys, based on the Axiom Pro model you use: 25, 49 or 61. When using Axiom Pro with the Microsoft class-complaint drivers, the HyperControl port will not appear by name; in this case, select In 2 and Out 2 for Send To and Receive From as these are the HyperControl ports.

If this doesn't work for you, here is what I would do: check which version of Axiom 61 you have - Axiom 61 or Axiom 61 2nd Generation and install the latest drivers:

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support&tab=driver

In the next step you also might want to upgrade your Pro Tools to latest version 8.0.4 for Mac:

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...3=1450&Hilite=

Hope this works out for you. Let me know how it went.

Take care,

Enrico