How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2015, 02:14 PM

Default MC Mix problems under windows 7 using a Switch

Hi there,

I am having programs using the MC Mix with a Netgear GS605 Switch.
To cut a long story short, even without the switch I had issues and the only way the MCMix seem to work is if I set it to use a static IP. When I set my Windows 7 machine to Static IP (following the instructions on the Avid site) it seems to work.

But if I connect the MCMix to my switch (I need the switch because I have several computers networked), the Eucon software does not find the workstation.

Any ideas how to resolve this?
As far as I know, there is no way I can login to the switch (like you would with routers) and change the IP to be static..or maybe there is and I don't know about it.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Eitan
Old 01-04-2015, 03:18 PM

Default Re: MC Mix problems under windows 7 using a Switch

Are you also setting all the other devices in the same VLAN to static IPs?

Is one of your servers on the VLAN also providing DHCP services - or -

Are you relying on a mix of static IP and local-link addressing?

Others may tell you to just use a router that provides DHCP. YMMV, but I don't like surprises.

Unless you know how to set up DCHP services from one of your computers on the VLAN, you may want to consider static IPs on all of your Artist devices if you haven't already. Depending on the implementation, mixing the somewhat primitive "local-link addressing" and another address assignment method is usually a "no-workie" situation unless you are really carefully managing the local-link address space in that subnet. If you're already doing that, you might as well be doing all static addressing.

I have a similar network topology to what you've loosely described, and I use manual/static IP assignments for everything - again, no surprises, but I'm "old school". If the device serves an important function, and that function benefits from a non-changing IP - or - if an unplanned change in IP hinders or prohibits expected function - use static addressing. The artist series manuals have a fairly clear set of instructions on setting the address and subnet mask in each artist device.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:39 PM

Hi there noiselab - thanks for responding!

I already set teh MCMix to be on a static IP according to the manual - and I have set one of my computers (the one that the MC mix is used with) to be of a static IP as well.

As I mentioned in my post, the problem is when I connect the MCMix to my switch...

When I connect it straight to my computer it works fine. It's just that I can't really access the settings on my switch...unlike a router, it doesn't allow admin access to change anything.

Are you saying that the switch itself needs to also be on static IP?

If so, any idea how to do that on a Netgear GS605 v4 Gigabit switch?

Thanks,
Eitan
Old 01-04-2015, 08:48 PM

Ahhhh, I think I see what your problem may be! You are likely using a "cross-over" Cat5 cable (supplied with the MC Mix?) when it works fine between the MC Mix and the computer. You probably need to be using "straight through" Cat5 cables when you put the switch in between.

Do you know the standard method of determining whether a network cable is cross-over or straight-through?

Once you know how to check them, try one or the other type between the Mix and the switch. Chances are good that you'll get it working again immediately if the IPs/mask are set correctly.

BTW - IPs are assigned at the end-points - not on the switch - unless you're using DHCP. It's probably a moot point as I'm pretty sure your issue is the cable type.

Keep us posted!

NL

Last edited by Noiselab; 01-04-2015 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:47 PM

Thanks Noiselab, but no..I only use Straight through cables. I know that much at least

Something else is at play but I'm not sure what it is at all..
I will keep checking and will keep you posted.

Thanks,
Eitan
Old 01-05-2015, 10:05 AM

Are you getting a link light on the switch port that the mix is plugged into?
Old 01-05-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teomi View Post
Hi there noiselab - thanks for responding!

I already set teh MCMix to be on a static IP according to the manual - and I have set one of my computers (the one that the MC mix is used with) to be of a static IP as well.

As I mentioned in my post, the problem is when I connect the MCMix to my switch...

When I connect it straight to my computer it works fine. It's just that I can't really access the settings on my switch...unlike a router, it doesn't allow admin access to change anything.

Are you saying that the switch itself needs to also be on static IP?

If so, any idea how to do that on a Netgear GS605 v4 Gigabit switch?

Thanks,
Eitan
That is an unmanaged switch...it does not get an IP address. Typically, there are no settings on this type of switch...you just plug it in and go.

What IP addresses/subnet masks are assigned to the computer's network card and to any other devices on the network?
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 01-05-2015, 09:51 PM

Thanks guys for the willingness to help out.

I have 2 PCs. They are both connected to the Switch (Netgear GS605 v4 Gigabit switch).

Both of the PCs were set via DHCP and the same Workgroup.
The network seems solid and I can do all the file sharing and MIDI overlan / VEPro work as needed.

With the MCMix, the first thing I did was to simply plug it to the switch - no go.
Plug it to the computer - no go.

When booting up the computer - Eucon would throw an error message EVERY single time.

So I set one of the computers (the one I'm planning to use with the MCmix) to Static IP based on Avid's instruction:

MCMix: 169.254.001.003, Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Computer: 169.254.1.2, Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0

When I did that, the error message would go away and the MCMix would work ONLY if I plug it straight to the designated computer.
When I went through the switch...nada.

One thing to note is that my other computer (which is also connected to the same switch) remained with its original DHCP settings.

Thanks,
Eitan
Old 01-05-2015, 10:17 PM

OK..another update. I think I getting somewhere...

I moved the other computer to static ip as well with the address 169.254.1.4

Now under the surfaces tab of the EUcon software I see the MC mix and it's 'claiming' the workstation name BUT there is nothing that appears under Workstations.

ONLY if I select "Restart EUCON Applications" (and only then) the workstations appear in the workstation tab and the unit finally works.

This is obviously an unacceptable workaround but at least it's progress.

What do you guys think?

Eitan
Old 01-06-2015, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teomi View Post
Thanks guys for the willingness to help out.

I have 2 PCs. They are both connected to the Switch (Netgear GS605 v4 Gigabit switch).

Both of the PCs were set via DHCP and the same Workgroup.
The network seems solid and I can do all the file sharing and MIDI overlan / VEPro work as needed.

With the MCMix, the first thing I did was to simply plug it to the switch - no go.
Plug it to the computer - no go.

When booting up the computer - Eucon would throw an error message EVERY single time.

So I set one of the computers (the one I'm planning to use with the MCmix) to Static IP based on Avid's instruction:

MCMix: 169.254.001.003, Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
Computer: 169.254.1.2, Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0

When I did that, the error message would go away and the MCMix would work ONLY if I plug it straight to the designated computer.
When I went through the switch...nada.

One thing to note is that my other computer (which is also connected to the same switch) remained with its original DHCP settings.

Thanks,
Eitan
Where did you come up with those IP addresses? You can't just grab them out of thin air.

Your IP addresses should be in one of the ranges listed below:

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255

172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255

192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

You'll find more info on this subject here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

Since you have DHCP running on your network, you'll probably have better luck just using DHCP for your Eucon units...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh