Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2009, 09:55 AM

Default Digi please don't get distracted with whiners

Before you read my post, I just want to mention, I don't intend to offend or diminish anyone's legitimate opinion, but only challenge people to look at things from another perspective. :)

I have commented on this before. Constructive criticism is good. Why do some of the posters feel the need to continually nag, and bash. When it's the same ppl over and over again it's hard to see what the objective is other than to gripe.

Demographically speaking, people come here to look for technical help, user observations and other solutions. IMHO there are a vast amount of users that are able to get work done with their systems. No need to come and post here.

Is anyone forcing you to upgrade your system? Do you have a configuration that works? then stay there.

I replaced my last G5 system 4th quarter 2008 and still got a $500 trade in allowance from my Digi dealer. Not to mention that my older hardware paid for itself over and over 1000's of times during the 3 years of service. I got a lot out of my investment.

In closing Digi, please don't mistake the persistence of a small percentage of people as a mandate.

Don't get me wrong, PT8 is very usable, are there some bugs that need to be worked out sure.

It concerns me that after a few posts Digi is now re-thinking legacy peripheral support of interfaces that are circa early 2000's. Is this gonna make things like SL compatibility or new hardware R&D further away?

Priorities.

Sincerely,

Future System 2021 14inch M1 Pro / 16MB Ram / 512 / Monterrey
Old 10-19-2009, 10:39 AM

Default Re: Digi please don't get distracted with whiners

Thats awesome that you haven't had problems.
For me, as one of the "whiners," the point is this. While nobody "forced" me to upgrade, I did spend hard earned dollars on it. And, since I had to surrender my old Ilok (Dont even get me started on those a-holes) license for the version that did work, I am being "forced" to deal with it since I can't revert back.

I do this for a living, and when my system works like crap its a reflection on my studio and our work. When I spend $10,000 (HD3) on something, I sure as hell expect it work as advertised. I find it insulting that Digi expects its own users to provide technical support for each other while knowlingly releases buggy as hell product. Perhaps if digi provided more professional technical support and delt with people on an individual bases we wouldn't have to come onto this site and "whine." Thats the only way to get the attention of those in the know apparently.

I hear what you are saying too, its annoying to read about other people bitching... Fine. But understand the waste of time and money some of us are experiencing...with no one willing or able to help on the other end but users who don't want to hear about it.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:18 AM

The DUC has become our 'group therapy' as since PT8 has come out, we've been beta testing each update on our own, professionally, in front of clients.

Between GUI selection/contrast issues, Magic ID's, truncated regions, ADC when it wants, busses stopping one side of audio randomnly, -9073's in 8 but same setup no problems in 7x, distortion on record but just fine on playback, and the scroll off the end of your song with any mouse, we have legitimate complaints.

And Digi won't know, unless we tell them. Apparently.

So while you're tired of whining, some of us need these systems to work as they did in 7x or before (yes, some of what I mentioned above goes back before 7x). There are many versions of PT running herewhere I work. There isn't just one or two rooms. G4's, G5's and different models of Mac Pro litter my studios. I have to sort through a LOT of research before I can just upgrade one. And I never never update a machine without a way to boot as it was before the update.

There is some whining going on. I'm glad you haven't experienced a lot of problems, but this has been the buggiest release yet. We all depend on these products and the interoperability between these systems. And we all have paid a lot of money for them, yes. The studio I work the most at hasbeen trading HW in with Digi for more than 10 years.

How understanding should we be? As understanding as our clients are? HaHa!!

I'm sick of Assertion errors that can creep up - After you've triple checked plug compato, trashed pref's/databases, repaired permissions, swapped RAM, swapped Digilink cables, re-installed PT, all because an outside session came in and hosed your box.

So while you may see it as whining, we may see it as 'constantly reminding' as customers should.

If it's advertised with fries and a pickle, don't send out chips and a cucumber.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:27 AM

Am I a whiner when PC Channel Matrix worked fine on 7.x and lost functionality in 8.x for Tiger/Leopard/Windows. Am I a whiner when compatibility is represented?

In 60 Days PT8 will be out one year, I am only a whiner for hoping a year.

M
System#1
PT 10HD Harpertown Lion
HD4 Accel Magma PE6R4-I
Motu PCI-424e
ProControl 32 Faders

System#2
PT 11 and 10.3.6 2012 Westmere Mountain Lion
HDX
MC Mix - MC Control - MC transport - MC Mix with Command 8
Old 10-19-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampmusic View Post
Before you read my post, I just want to mention, I don't intend to offend or diminish anyone's legitimate opinion, but only challenge people to look at things from another perspective. :)
lamp i appreciate what appears as a post to love on digi a little

that's a good thing always.

BUT.....

one's perspective is using one's God given faculties to make right judgment based on observations.

one man may see a whiner....another man may see a warrior....

another may see a madman

or a martyr.....or a truth telling prophet....or even a tough lover.

i'm sure i've appeared to be all of the above from time to time

i would not want to work out of another man's perspective...

that is his stuff

i got my own stuff....

and it's working for me for just the way i need to work it

right on time everytime!

Quote:
It concerns me that after a few posts Digi is now re-thinking legacy peripheral support of interfaces that are circa early 2000's. Is this gonna make things like SL compatibility or new hardware R&D further away?
doubt it.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:16 PM

I just have to chime in and say this: I'm always surprised by the number of people that feel the need to upgrade to the latest version of ANYTHING, before it has been sufficiently road-tested. (if it ain't broke...) I sat back in amazement when PT8 became available, watching the problems post here. It was QUICKLY clear the v8 had bugs, so I (quite naturally) decided to wait it out. And I still am. I'm only just now starting to think about upgrading to PT8, and it will be an extremely cautious experiment. I can't afford a single day of downtime.

I'm still running my HD rig on 7.2cs3/G5/OSX.4.7, and guess what? Solid as a rock, extremely dependable, zippy, rarely crashes, and gets the job done. In fact, the only reason I'm thinking about upgrading at all is so that I can use the PCI video-out option, and ditch VVTR and the canopus box.

I'm certainly not advocating sitting around with an ADAT Bridge and PT5. But waiting a year or so for the kinks to be worked out? No-brainer. Especially since PT8 is a significant departure from previous versions, in look, feel, and operation.

Now I suppose that if I were just getting into the game and purchasing a PTHD system new, I'd probably be upset about the instability issues. For this, I would certainly hold DIGI accountable. However, anyone going out and spending that much money on a DAW should be knowledgeable enough to research what's working, and what isn't. Ultimately, I would conclude (and did) that this past year wasn't the best time to upgrade hardware or software.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:14 PM

Hate to get OT a bit here but...

Those of you trying to use the "nobody forced you to upgrade" argument are assuming everybody else is in the same scenario as you. New purchasers of Mac's and Pro Tools have no choice but to run the latest (and greatest?) version. They should be allowed to complain if they feel they aren't getting what they paid for. In my case, my day gig is doing audio post for a non-profit. When the budget cycle comes around for upgrades, we have to do it there and then or we risk losing the funding for years.

How many things are there in the system mix that can end up causing the monkey to chase his tail and you end up upgrading everything to the latest? System, hardware, DAW software, plug-ins, related app's... iTunes set off a Goldberg scenario on me once and the simplest result was to upgrade PT.

Please don't bash users of current releases. There are circumstances where it isn't really a choice.

Last edited by soundeziner; 10-19-2009 at 01:16 PM. Reason: anal retentive comma placement
Old 10-19-2009, 01:18 PM

oh and +1 for Digi listening to their users whether it is positive or a complaint. They need to hear both.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummerZ View Post
I just have to chime in and say this: I'm always surprised by the number of people that feel the need to upgrade to the latest version of ANYTHING, before it has been sufficiently road-tested. (if it ain't broke...)

some of us (including the great "enlightened" jimi)

learn slower than others

but what did 4ma prezzie bush say about fool me once?

Old 10-19-2009, 02:23 PM

I reported a few bugs while using 8.0 but with 8.0.1 my system is one thousand times better than those days of 7.3.x.

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 2008 16GB RAM

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.