Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 05-22-2019, 01:39 PM

Default Error Message, Can't Start Pro Tools

Hi All,

I just bought Pro Tools for the first time (downloaded as of 5/20/2019). Every time I boot up Pro Tools I get the same error message that follows:

Could not complete your request because Assertion in "E:\ Code\ 238951\ ProTools\ AAE\ Source\ AAX\ CFicAAXWidget.cpp", line 994.

(Use the Copy button to copy this message to the clipboard.).

Obviously, the first thing I did was throw this into google. I tried reinstalling drivers, changing the playback engine by holding "n' (the software would crash every time and not show any error report or crash report... It would just shut down), Resetting the aggregated device (I have yet to find a software to let me do this), deleting/reinstalling the pro tools preferences folder, and reinstalling it completely.

I really don't know what to do at this point. Another point worth noting is that I have no E drive on my computer, nor did I have one in my computer at the time of download/installation.

It would really suck to not be able to use pro tools.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pro-tools-error-code.JPG (31.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-22-2019, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Error Message, Can't Start Pro Tools

Hi, welcome to the community.

Please take a look at the Help Us Help You page linked to the forum header
Old 05-22-2019, 01:56 PM

The E drive is not on your computer... the assert error is referring to the E: drive on the Avid developer’s computer where this source code lived.That source code contains an “ASSERT” that is checking some asserted conditions are true and deliberately failing if false. Like here.

The most common cause of this assert is you have an audio interface with no output path in it. It bugs the hell out of me that Avid has not replaced this with a nice understandable error message if that is happening. Oh Avid, you stumbling benevolent oath. This happens with aggregate IO devices that do not include any output. What does the Audio-MIDI setup show for the device Pro Tools is trying to use? Post a screenshot of audio-MIDI setup showing that aggregate device.

And much more info needed: what exact version of Pro Tools do you have installed? Pro Tools 2019.5? Pro Tools First 2019.5? On what exact macOS?

Get Peter Gates’ PT Prefs utility and use it to trash prefs. http://petegates.com/pg-pt-prefs.html Check every option if not sure.

Then hold down N while starting Pro Tools and keep it held down until the playback engine dialog appears, and select “Built-In Output”.

If that did not work did you optimize this Mac? Including setting it to never sleep/suspend?

Do that power optimization, and unplug all interfaces, and other peripherals not absolutely needed to use the basic computer. Reboot the computer.

Does Pro Tools work now with Built-In Output (not an aggregate device)

Does Audio-MIDI setup work? Try deleting all aggregate devices there.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-22-2019 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:30 AM

Thank you for the reply. The version I have downloaded is Pro Tools 2019.5 for Windows.
Here are the specs I am currently running:

Model: Alienware 15 R4

Processor: 8th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H (6-Core, 9MB Cache, up to 4.1GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 with 6GB GDDR5
Ram: 32GB 2x16GB DDR4-2666MHz
SSD: 256GB PCIe M.2 SSD
HDD: 1TB 7200RPM HDD

The software in the link is only for OS, which is fine. I was able to locate the preferences manually and delete them. I then tried to boot up pro tools. Same error. I then tried holding "n" after deleting the preferences. Same result.

I only have a mouse and charger plugged into this computer at any given time. I don't currently own an Audio interface. Will I need an Audio Interface to plug into my computer to get Pro Tools to boot up?

I appreciate your help.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:11 AM

You should really invest in an interface like a Focusrite 2i2 or similar.

But as you dont have an interface you need to install a virtual asio driver from /

www.asio4all.com which is free and you cant run PT without it.

Download and install and let us know how you get on.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 05-23-2019, 10:05 AM

Oh You would think I would have got the Windows PC from the assert path being E:... but this happens more on Mac. It’s the same likely cause, no output path available in whatever audio device Pro Tools is trying to use, the audio device being totally incompatible with Pro Tools etc.

The preferences trashing utility for Windows is https://www.pro-tools-pc.us/category-s/1514.htm

I would do what Christopher says and look for an external audio interface that has an ASIO driver so you do not need to use ASIO4ALL.... which is a bandaid that usually will not deliver as good a performance as a native ASIO interface... and you should also make sure that interface is dedicated to Pro Tools, leave windows sound and other apps using your PCs built in audio. There is a huge range of interfaces available, if you describe what you want to do and record and what mics and instruments you have, and your budget then folks here can help recommend ones. Brands to look at include Presonus, Focusrite, UAD, Motu, RME. One big decider there for me is vendors who provide better driver support, with maybe UAD, Motu being top of my list.

While setting up your PC it is also a good idea to install SiSoft Sandra, that makes it easy to generate a Sandra report for getting help here. See under the “Help Us Help You” link up the top of each DUC web page.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-23-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:21 PM

CFicAAXWidget.cpp", line 994
Same error.

Got a new Motu M2 to replace the **** AVID interface I had before (everything they make is driver hell), which is a brand new interface that meets all possible requirements.
Holding N merely crashes protools immediately with no error message.

I will not buy a $5 'trasher' thing that's a bet and prolly wont work anyway.

Please help.
What to do
Thank you

Running Windows10

Last edited by Lightzy; 03-27-2020 at 01:33 PM.