Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-04-2005, 03:25 PM

Default Optimizing my Mac for Pro Tools?

Hi. I'm new here.

I'm using Pro Tools LE 6.9.2 with an MBox and a Mac Mini with Mac OS X 10.4.2. I have a 1GB of RAM, an 80GB hard drive, and a 1.42 GHz G4 Processer.

Even when I'm running no other programs but Pro Tools, my system has a very difficult time handling plug ins. The latency will shoot up drastically and sometimes (even without plugins) I will experience drop out with as little as two tracks.

I was wondering what some suggestions would be for optimizing my computer to handle Pro Tools so that these things don't happen, especially the latency problem. I only recently got the Mac and PT so I'm pretty new to the whole deal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Scott
Old 10-05-2005, 12:51 PM
Avid

Default Re: Optimizing my Mac for Pro Tools?

Are you using the computers internal hard drive for recording and playback?

If so, that could be the problem - it is strongly recommended that you use a compatible firewire drive.

You might also want to try the steps in the OS X Setup and General Troubleshooting sticky at the top of this forum, as there are several optimizations there that may help.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Are you using the computers internal hard drive for recording and playback?

If so, that could be the problem - it is strongly recommended that you use a compatible firewire drive.

You might also want to try the steps in the OS X Setup and General Troubleshooting sticky at the top of this forum, as there are several optimizations there that may help.
In fact, I am using the internal hard drive. Is this what's causing the heavy latency and drop out? I checked out the link and I did most of the suggestions, in terms of changing pixel rate and sleep mode, etc. The others seemed like troubleshooting for a defunct program, so I didn't do those.

Do you guys recommend a certain external hard drive?
Old 10-06-2005, 12:53 PM

So once I get an external Firewire hard drive, do I only store the session .pts files and the corresponding audio files that pertain to each session? Or do I store the Pro Tools program itself on the external as well? Would I store Reason on the external or would that go to my main computer? I've never used an external hard drive before, and Pro Tools is pretty new to me as well so I apologize if the questions seem remedial.

Thanks,
Scott

edit PS: also, I thought storing .wav and .pts files on an external source that needed a Firewire connection would be slower since the files would have to transfer over the line instead of being right there on the main hard drive. Is this not correct?
Old 10-06-2005, 01:56 PM

Keep your apps on the system drive and just your PT sessions\audio files on the external.

The problem with running your PT sessions from the system drive is that the drive is already busy searching for all the correct files to make your OS run. Now add a PT session and that drive has to simultaneously search for the system files and the audio at the same time and this only leads to a lesser performance.

It's best to keep everything except the essentials off the system drive so it can operate efficiently and have a dedicated hdd only for audio so PT can run efficiently.