Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 04-13-2010, 09:21 PM

Cool Pro Tools not seeing MIDI

Here's my problem:
PT is not seeing/metering/receiving MIDI from any device. It was working and has been working fine. It suddenly stopped working shortly after I began a session earlier today. Meanwhile, Audio MIDI Setup recognizes my input devices and TEDSt Setup correctly recognizes their respective output.

Here's my setup:
HD3 running PT 8.0.3cs1, Digi MIDI I/O connected and powered via USB, Korg NanoKEY connected and powered via USB, Yamaha Motif XS8 and Roland TD-12.

Here's what I've tried (multiple times):
- Trash PT Prefs (via ProTools Pref and Database Helper)
- Reset MIDI I/O by unplugging USB cable and then plugging it in again whil hold Reset button
- Trash Apple's AudioMIDI prefs

I'm completely stumped on this one. Welcome to ANY suggestions.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:45 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools not seeing MIDI

1. verify input devices are enabled in PT
Setup > MIDI > Input Devices

2. verify MIDI thru is enabled
Options > MIDI Thru

3. verify default MIDI thru instrument is set (midi preferences)

4. Try creating a new midi track, assign a midi output, and use the pencil tool to make a midi note. Does the midi play back?

If AMS is seeing midi, there is no reason that protools can't talk to AMS. It's gotta be a setting.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyroberts View Post
1. verify input devices are enabled in PT
Setup > MIDI > Input Devices

2. verify MIDI thru is enabled
Options > MIDI Thru

3. verify default MIDI thru instrument is set (midi preferences)

4. Try creating a new midi track, assign a midi output, and use the pencil tool to make a midi note. Does the midi play back?

If AMS is seeing midi, there is no reason that protools can't talk to AMS. It's gotta be a setting.
Hi,

If non of the above works then try trashing the AMS prefs in user library/preferences.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:30 PM

I don't know if this will help, but it helped me.

If you're having problems with MIDI (can't send or recieve) and/or your MIDI interface is greyed out in Audio MIDI Setup, try this:

Go to MacHD>Users>your account>Library>Preferences>By Host and trash 'com.apple.midi.a bunch of numbers and letters.plist'.

Go to MacHD>Users>your account>Library>Preferences and trash 'com.apple.audio.audiomidisetup.plist'.

Empty the trash and restart, then see if everything is working.

Randy
Old 04-15-2010, 02:36 PM

Smile Re: Pro Tools not seeing MIDI

Thx for all the suggestions. I tried them all, repeatedly. None worked. Ultimately, I found an old backup drive to my PT boot drive and did a restore (my main backup drive had backed up just a day before and wasn't working either). That did the trick. I still have no idea what caused the problem. At this point, I don't care to try to find out!... Again, thx to all for the help.