Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2015, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Help setting up Pro Tools + Eleven Rack

If after installing that driver if the Eleven Rack the driver still does not show up as a playback engine option. Shutdown the computer, remove as many USB peripherals as possible, everything except what you absolutely need, like keyboard, mouse and the Eleven Rack. Make sure the eleven Rack is connected to a USB 2 port not a USB 3.x port. Power the computer back on. Is it recognized now?

Still problems, post a SiSoft Sandra report ("Help us Help You" link up top of this page).
Old 12-29-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndergroundLab View Post
Yay, the playback engine dialog showed up with the new driver installed, and no AAE 6117 error as well, that solves one problem, out of probably a lot.

The Eleven Rack is selected as the playback engine,.
OK I suspect you are set? If not what exactly does not work?
Old 12-29-2015, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
OK I suspect you are set? If not what exactly does not work?
Okay, this might come out sounding stupid, some of my problems setting up weren't addressed in the OP, just because I couldn't think of all of them without Pro Tools fully booting, but what should I do about inputs? I'm guessing the Eleven Rack acts as such?
This partially has to do with record-enabling tracks using the Eleven Rack, since I originally do not have a microphone to an amp set up. This is part of record enabling a track.

So, lets say I wanted to record guitar or bass, the Eleven Rack works as the input, right?
Old 12-29-2015, 05:27 PM

The Eleven Rack works as a amp and effects sim and a recording interface for the DI and output of all guitar rig chain, as well as also having extra inputs (mic preamp, line in and digital if you want to use them as well).

The only thing standing between you and all that is your willingness to read the Eleven Rack User Guide and play around with stuff.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
The Eleven Rack works as a amp and effects sim and a recording interface for the DI and output of all guitar rig chain, as well as also having extra inputs (mic preamp, line in and digital if you want to use them as well).

The only thing standing between you and all that is your willingness to read the Eleven Rack User Guide and play around with stuff.
Lastly, how do I get signal from plugging in a guitar effects unit? I plugged my Boss multi effects pedal into the Output to Amp jack (aka True-Z) on the front of the Eleven Rack, now how do I get it to sound when I play, and ultimately, record?

I have the other end of the cord plugged into the "Input" jack of the Boss pedal, and the resources I have looked at online haven't told me how to initiate the process, rather, tell me what I can do with the True Z output jack.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndergroundLab View Post
Lastly, how do I get signal from plugging in a guitar effects unit? I plugged my Boss multi effects pedal into the Output to Amp jack (aka True-Z) on the front of the Eleven Rack, now how do I get it to sound when I play, and ultimately, record?
The "Output to amp" is not True Z, that would make no sense. The True Z applies to the Guitar In input.

Put it between the guitar and guitar input on the eleven rack (just like a real amp) or put it in the Eleven Rack FX Loop (similar to a real amp). All clearly covered in the user guide you are not reading....

You may be a lot better off using the Eleven Rack internal effects, depending on exactly what you are doing.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
The "Output to amp" is not True Z, that would make no sense. The True Z applies to the Guitar In input.

Put it between the guitar and guitar input on the eleven rack (just like a real amp) or put it in the Eleven Rack FX Loop (similar to a real amp). All clearly covered in the user guide you are not reading....

You may be a lot better off using the Eleven Rack internal effects, depending on exactly what you are doing.
No, I am reading it. That's what's making this such an headache.

The thing is I like the sound that comes out of the Boss better, plus its what I would live to take live with, so that's why I'm using it to record, over the presets in the Eleven Rack. I know to either plug the pedal into the guitar input (True Z) or FX Loop, but where to go beyond that, in terms of navigating the interface, the user guide doesn't go into much detail.

So basically what I'm asking is how do I get the signal from the pedal to come into Pro Tools, let alone hearing as I play?
Old 12-29-2015, 07:15 PM

Plug guitar directly into the guitar in. No FX pedals. Get this working first.

Do you have monitors or headphones connected to the Eleven Rack?

Can you play the guitar without Pro Tools being open and hear stuff OK?

Start Pro tools, create (File>New) a new session, using one of the Eleven Rack present sessions. Which one does not matter for now.

Record arm the E.Guitar (or whatever similar it is called) track. (press the red button in the track header/mixer view, that button should now be lit up).

Strum the guitar. Hear a sound? See the track meters move?

Now to actually record that, press the main transport record and play button. Play guitar. Stuff being recorded into that track?

All this stuff is basic Pro Tools stuff, randomly trying to work out how to use Pro Tools is usually a waste of users time.

There are many good basic getting started using Pro Tools videos on you tube, including with the Eleven Rack. Including by this dude https://www.youtube.com/user/BenoniStudio

And find your PDF of the Pro Tools Reference Guide (it's on your system already). It just looks intimidating but is full of useful stuff (esp. once you know a few terms and can search it for things... which yes means if stuff above makes no sense try searching for it there).
Old 12-29-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Plug guitar directly into the guitar in. No FX pedals. Get this workign first.

Do you have monitors or headphones connecgted to the Eleven Rack?

Can you play the guitar without Pro Tools being open and hear stuff OK?

Star Pro tools, open a new session, using one of the eleven rack present sessions.

Record arm the e.guitar (or whatever similar it is called) track.

Strum the guitar. Hear a sound? See the track meters move? Press record and play on he main transport. Play guitar. Stuff being recorded into that track?

All this stuff is basic Pro Tools stuff, randomly trying to work out how to use Pro Tools is usually a waste of users time.

There are many good basic getting started using Pro Tools videos on you tube, including with the Eleven Rack. Including by this dude https://www.youtube.com/user/BenoniStudio

And find your PDF of the Pro Tools Reference Guide (it's on your system already). It just looks intimidating but is full of useful stuff (esp. once you know a few terms and can search it for things).
Headphones, to answer your first question.
I have the guitar plugged into the guitar input. I have the guitar pedal plugged into the "sending" end of the FX Loop, pressing the button under it outward for Stompboxes FX.

Without Pro Tools, I can hear guitar just fine, but what I am hearing. Its not as much Pro Tools as I'm pulling teeth to figure out as it is hearing distortion and effects come form the Boss pedal, not the Eleven Rack.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:33 PM

You are bouncing around like crazy, every post is complaining about some other problem. How the FX Loop works is very well described in the Eleven Rack User Guide. If you are trying to understand the FX Loop with your pedal start there. Live setup, no Pro Tools involved. You need to understand/use the FX Loop level settings etc. in the ER front panel menu and know how to move the position of the FX Loop around in the Rig, also in the front panel menu. Also helpful for debugging anything is to use the meter display in the front panel display (scroll to the far right of the display). Guess where all that is documented...

If you are trying to understand how to record with Pro Tools follow my last post. Recording with Pro Tools has *nothing* to do with getting effects in the FX Loop to work. And I agree the Eleven Rack User Guide does *not* help a Pro Tools newbie get started with using Pro Tools itself. YouTube is you best bet there.