Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2009, 06:07 PM

Default Re: So Digi, What is up with Structure ?

To all you guys who have emailed me privately regarding this thread, thanks, your reflections made me smile and I should have seen this for what it is. Thanks again for all your support.

As I say 'it only takes and mouth to criticize'

Founder of the Expert Sites.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankely View Post
Snip....
Why are you wasting your time on this issue?
Cuz I care......
Old 02-18-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Why are you wasting your time on this issue?
Ankely - how dare you question his motivation on this matter! He has every right to start a thread in the DUC. It is his God-given right to come in here and berate AIR for not taking care of his needs and you have no right to question him.

Back on planet earth Ank, reply to my email and let's get some more cool sounds for the Blog community.

Just thinking any chance that Heck/Kick in the Door has moved to Europe?

Old 02-18-2009, 07:21 PM

I share the gripes of most in this thread concerning Structures inabilities with EXS import/playback, but do we all have to read the personal debates of a few users back and forth? I want solutions, too. Can we put our pride aside for a minute and stay on topic? I am as busy as the rest of you making real records and I don't have time to sift thru "my dick is bigger than yours" posts to find the truly valuable information. I highly appreciate the level of detail from this thread's creator and other contributors. Can you just reel it back in a little for the common good of the rest of us?
Old 02-18-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
Cuz I care......
That much is obvious, 25... You've been a valuable member of the DUC in that you have highlighted many issues over the years that needed to be addressed (and you've gotten productive results). Thanks for pressing the button on this one, and for offering your time and effort as a Structure beta tester. You tend to be thorough, and you're good at getting to the nub of these kinds of things. You're also good at pinpointing problems that some of us tend to put up with or gloss over when we shouldn't. Good qualities, and necessary ones in any enterprise that wants to move forward. Your input is much appreciated.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:53 PM

I've been gone a few hours and I've come back to a bit of a vibe against 25ghosts. He and we have every right to be upset about the **advertised feature that we specifically got Structure for, EXS import**, not working on 90% of our EXS instruments still, after two years! We didn't get structure to make our own patches, or to load factory content or Kontakt patches. We got Structure to load and play our existing masses of EXS instruments, which we can't do. I don't even ever try to load any. I gave up on Structure as soon as I realized that we we're stuck with this unimproved beta version for good. I'm not going to use it, load 9 bad EXS instruments for every one that works. What a waste of time. Better off to struggle with Kontakt.

Now that doesn't mean that I don't understand why Structure was neglected. It was clearly neglected to support the amazingly prolific VI creation of the PT8 product. But I worked hard to get Structure, and the main thing we were promised it could do, we've never been able to do. This is not forum whining, this is a serious and real matter.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:40 PM
Avid

Quote:
At the end of the day, the pressure that AIR responds to is the pressure it gets from the Digidesign home office. I
Oh, we're giving them pressure, believe me! I'm a big VI user (and almost former Logic user) and I bang the pots and pans (in a good rhythm, of course) on a daily basis pressing for problems to get fixed, whether they're in Pro Tools or AIR or any other plug-in.

And they (AIR) are definitely working on fixes - the reason that neither they or we (Digi) can give exact dates or details are for legal reasons - spelling something out as to what and when can be considered a legal 'promise' and, well, you know how lawsuit happy people in the U.S. are. Unfortunate, but true.

If I can be permitted to step out of an 'official' capacity for a moment and just say that I've been doing this long enough to see the history of the entire DAW and software VI development, from every manufacturer and, if I had a nickel for every piece that didn't work the way it was supposed to, well, I would be one of those rich people we're apparently short of in the U.S.

Maturation of software can take awhile. EXS when it first came out was less than stable to say the least. It didn't have half the features after several revisions that Structure had from the get-go. Yes, it's better now, but how long did that take - 5, 6 years?

Of course I'm not trying to make excuses, but hopefully lend a little perspective and make sure it's absolutely clear that we're commited to Structure and it's development.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:45 PM

Cool Re: So Digi, What is up with Structure ?

DIGI, thanks again !!! AYE !!!

It is what it is...

ScrewMakerMusic
Old 02-19-2009, 02:29 AM

Quote:
DIGI, thanks again !!! AYE !!!
+1

Old 02-19-2009, 04:35 AM

I originally posted this on 12th January 2007:

'I've posted this before, hopefully if we keep banging on about it someone in the AIR group will notice...

If the filter is switched off in the EXS24 sampler and the settings are saved to the instrument file (in Logic) or if there are no settings saved with the instrument, when you load the instrument into Structure some of the sampler settings will be wrongly interpreted.

The usual result of this (as has been pointed out) is that the sustain portion of the amp ADSR will be zero- although other strange results occur, depending on the original settings in the EXS24. What seems to be happening is that when the filter is switched off in the EXS24 instrument, other values get assigned to the wrong parameters- the decay value in the EXS24 becomes the sustain value in Structure, for example.

EXS24 patches where the filter is enabled are interpreted reasonably well- this explains why some work and some don't. Filter on = more or less ok, filter off = pot luck (usually bad)

Considering the huge number of patches available for the EXS24 and the claim by Digidesign that Structure provides access to these, some work on the accuracy of the import might be in order. Having Structure assign some useable envelope parameters when no settings exist in the EXS24 patch or when the filter is turned off would be a good start- it would at least allow the patch to be heard!

Regarding the ADSR settings in Structure Free- I had assumed that these were 'relative' ie they added or subtracted from the actual values in the instrument. If I'm right it would make sense that the default position would be in the centre- allowing both positive and negative changes to the original values.'

I feel this narrowed down one of the main translation problems for you, yet in 2 years you seem to have made very little progress...

Oh, and a big hi to all those people from the thread 2 years ago (Phil, 25Ghosts, relaxo) Glad to see we're still all here and still trying to get this thing to do what it promised....